Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Start Stop - not working?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
skinda0

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Start Stop - not working?

Hi all, Picked up by first D4 MY16 HSE at the weekend and very much enjoying it!
I appear to have 2 minor problems with it, first is the 3deg high temperature reading, but reading topics on here, I should have that one covered.
Second issue is with the Start Stop feature. It appears that it is not functioning but I am able to switch it on and off with the button on the lower front dash. When switched off I get the orange ECO warning light and a message pops up to confirm it has been switched off. When switching on, the message pops up and warning light goes off, but I never get the green ECO light to come on and the engine to stop.
I believe I should at least get the orange warning to come on to show it has tried activating but cant. I do not get any warning light at all! Is it a possibility it has been mapped out?

Start/Stop batter has been replaced when purchased and main battery is testing OK.

Any ideas?

Post #235855911th Jan 2024 11:20 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome.

No ideas - except that many of us think that stop/start not working is a distinct advantage.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/d4-start-st...stop+start

Last edited by NJSS on 11th Jan 2024 11:51 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #235856211th Jan 2024 11:27 am
Pimpintgepidge

Mine has done exactly the same when I first bought it, it worked and I obviously switched it off everytime but then stopped working, I replace the aux battery and it still didn’t work but I’m sure that the main battery will have to be good for it to work correctly.My main battery seems fine but its obviously not as good as it was a few years ago so although your battery is testing that it is good maybe the car wants more power for the function to work. Is the battery the original? If not is it the correct battery for the car?
 2015 D4 HSE Loire Blue  
Post #235856311th Jan 2024 11:39 am
skinda0

Sounds like it may be the problem, I am going to hook up a battery conditioner to it as well, that may get it to work! I'm not too fussed that it doesn't work, but would just like to know why at the moment!

Did yours have the warning to show it wasn't working due to low battery voltage though?

I'll double check the battery type and age too, sounds like it may be the culprit.

Post #235857511th Jan 2024 12:38 pm
Pimpintgepidge

No I had no warning whatsoever iv had the ctec charger on the main battery and that also shows good condition but I know that my battery is the original so will be nearly 8 years old
 2015 D4 HSE Loire Blue  
Post #235857811th Jan 2024 12:54 pm
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

If there are no lights then it indicates the main battery is probably the culprit. A low aux battery willresult in the ECO light appearing.

I had no stop/start on my MY16 so changed the main battery and low and behold I now have stop/start again. Original battery was almost 8 years olld and I replaced it with the same Excide Battery but no LR branded.

Post #235857911th Jan 2024 12:56 pm
Worms

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Remember to look at both sides of the battery equation - even if the battery is generally Ok, if you have additional power demands switched on, then the start/stop may not function. At this time of year - headlights, blower fans, heated screens etc all work against the chances of the start/stop kicking in. Indeed, I'm not sure about the Disco, but on the FL2, the start/stop was programmed not to work below about 9C.
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW - still got this, non-runner on SORN.
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #235858011th Jan 2024 1:07 pm
PJ D4

United Kingdom 

Welcome!

I had exactly this when I bought my '15 plate HSE Luxury, changed the start/stop battery and the light went out (previous battery was dead) but it didn't actually work. Then sent the car in for a service and they checked the ECU for faults (none found) and the start/stop has worked fine since!

Post #235858811th Jan 2024 2:01 pm
Maddpuk

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

My new-to-me in August '23 MY14 has never had working SS, but can be switched on/off as described above. SS battery was replaced immediately prior to my purchase and I replaced the main battery a few weeks later (end Sept.) yet still no SS.
 2014 Discovery 4 HSE
2013 Insignia Sports Tourer BiTurbo 4x4 SRi
2004 S2000
Honda FourTrax TRX300
- Paul 

Post #235859111th Jan 2024 2:35 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

To come back to the OPs question, answering from my own experience and information gathering from the forum:
1. Start/stop may not kick in as often this time of year. As has been stated the load on the main battery (what you have running, ie heated windows perhaps, the engine temperature ( a short journey will not allow the engine to get so warm) and all manner of other things can cause it to not kick in when you stop. If you search, there’s a big list of conditions that will stop it working. One thing that will stop it working is when the car is performing a DPF regen.
2. You’ll get a warning light ‘eco stop start not available’ if the small auxiliary battery doesn’t have the charge to allow stop/start to kick in. The auxiliary battery is what powers the various electrical Items (blowers, radio etc etc) when the engine stop kicks in. My auxiliary battery lasted just over 3 years, but the replacement has lasted about 5 so far (jinxed it now).
3. The main battery charge can be a factor in whether stop/start kicks in. If it isn’t well charged , it won’t. Towards the end of life of my first main battery (5-6 years) , stop/start stopped kicking in. I didn’t know then, that it was on the way out as you get no warning lights regarding Stop/start when it is the main battery causing the issue. I mentioned battery ages here so you can guage whether it’s likely a battery if coming to the end of life on your car. The D4 is very sensitive to battery issues and can throw all sorts of errors.
4. Give your main battery a good charge, consider what I’ve mentioned above and see if it starts working.On a car that age, you might want to find out when the main battery was replaced /test it for condition, and ensure it is getting charged (should see a voltage of around 14+ volts when running.
Good luck getting to the bottom of it, and let us know what you find.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #235859911th Jan 2024 4:50 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Here’s a thread that lists the main conditions where stop start fails to work(55 conditions where it won’t kick in apparently. They are sub conditions of those included at the bottom of page 1 of this thread. Hope it helps.

Forgot to include link to thread !

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic191860-30.html
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #235860011th Jan 2024 4:55 pm
kirkyworld

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

A new main battery is likely to fix it. Mine stopped working, new SS battery didn't cure it, new main battery did. Unless they are both perfect rather than ok it can stop working.

Post #235861311th Jan 2024 7:55 pm
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

All the batteries must be of type AGM. (My aux battery was replaced by the previous owner and it was lead-acid thus, it didn’t work)
The intelligent stop start feature does rely on ample storage capacity of the main battery.
If you charge, be sure to connect -ve to a body grounding point, not the battery.
The BMS maintains usage metrics of which stop-start depends.

True enough, the generator will on frequent occasion provide 14+ volts. Additionally, after sitting all night and without being on a charger nor the engine running, the batteries should register 12.6v +.
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Last edited by itsaguything on 22nd Jan 2024 12:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #235864511th Jan 2024 11:39 pm
skinda0

Thanks all for the information, had a look yesterday and the battery appears to be the original land rover badged one so is probably nearing the end of it's life! I'll try giving it a good charge and see if it come on, if it does I'll look at replacing the battery at some point.

In other news, I have developed a fairly serious coolant leak this week after the cambelts were replaced before I picked it up. Censored

I'm hoping a hose has just not been done up properly, but coolant has been hitting the fan and been spraying all over the engine.

Oh well.
 2016 Discovery 4 HSE
2011 Nissan Pathfinder 

Post #235867612th Jan 2024 12:29 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Coolant hitting the fan is far more urgent than the SS not working, sounds like a burst radiator to me!
If the SS is not working and no warning light it is highly likely the main battery is not up to scratch, if the warning light is on it is the small auxiliary battery.
At this time of year there are several conditions that have to be met for the SS to operate.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #235868112th Jan 2024 1:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >