DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

It's started - keyless not working Disco 4 2014
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
AzzaD

United Kingdom 
It's started - keyless not working Disco 4 2014

long story short

Bought a Disco 4 HSE 2014 from a nice man from this here site.

Drove to Cornwall, week surfing, drove back, round trip of @600 miles over a week. Reversed the Disco 4 onto the drive, unlocked the tailgate, unpacked and then locked the car.

Then the car would not unlock. Left the car overnight.

Tried again the following morning, nada no keyless entry, nor would the buttons on the keyfob do anything. So manual ! Unlocked the car from passenger side with the key, then used the keyfob under the console to disable the alarm. Then started the car ! Success, but not really, damn car won't work from keyless nor will keyfob work. So I stop the car.

Now it won't start. At all. So it being Sunday I call AA to see if there is something I've missed.

Nice AA man turns up, quitely knowledgable - tests battery all good, tests battery in keyfobs all good, but replaces one all the same. nothing is happening from keyfobs. AA man uses his tester jobby suspects there is interference, so drives off and tests keyfobs, but same result - nada.

After much monkeying around, what does work is putting the keyfob under the drive console and wiggling it around the area marked for the keyfob and pressing start - until the car starts.

I don't need to use the car much this week, but I've got to drive my folks around for a week in 3 weeks, so would rather get this fixed, ideally without being bled dry by my local LR dealer.

Any advice from the massif here ? Am stumped.

Prior to my trip everything was working really well, no issues. Though I did have two new tyres fitted the day before my hols, maybe it's connected Smile

Post #20738725th Aug 2019 10:45 pm
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I take it the AA man didn't find any fault codes that might give some pointers.
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #20738755th Aug 2019 10:54 pm
AzzaD

United Kingdom 

I don't recall the AA man connecting to the Disco 4 to look for fault codes. As for most of his time we couldn't get the ignition on.

Post #20738775th Aug 2019 11:07 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Have you tried both fobs? Try a hard reset, check all fuses, read fault codes with an Iid tool- the tool does not have to be registered to your car to read faults, there may be a local member willing to check them Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20738976th Aug 2019 8:10 am
AzzaD

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Have you tried both fobs? Try a hard reset, check all fuses, read fault codes with an Iid tool- the tool does not have to be registered to your car to read faults, there may be a local member willing to check them Thumbs Up

Yep, both keyfobs tested, tried as keyless and under the driver console. They both only work when placed under the steering wheel console.

I haven't got an IID tool, I used to have the tool for my Disco2, how do I put out a general request here to see if anyone local to me can assist with an IID tool ?

I'm based near Kingston Upon Thames and judging by the amount of D3s and D4s I see round here, someone local has to be a member here Laughing

Post #20739186th Aug 2019 9:29 am
AzzaD

United Kingdom 
Hard reset ?

Quote:
Try a hard reset

Hard reset ?

Only thing I can think of - is to disconnect the main car battery ?

Is this the motoring equivalent to holding down the power button on an unresponsive PC ?

Post #20739236th Aug 2019 10:17 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yes. Use the forum search facility for loads of information about it. It often cures mysterious D3/4 faults. It’s worth a try. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #20739246th Aug 2019 10:20 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Are there any overhead power lines (not necessarily the huge ones on pylons, but ones supplying local properties) nearby?

I have noticed that if I visit my parents, I have to get close to whatever car it is before it will unlock. Elsewhere, I’ve done it from 100 metres away! Several months ago, I got a call from my dad saying that the central locking on my mum’s Nissan Note wouldn’t work. We fiddled about with things, and then for no explicable reason, it worked. We started the car and moved it to the other side of their house, and everything worked perfectly (and has done since).

So, the time came for me to leave. I tried the keyless on thee D4 and nothing. The remote wouldn’t work either, so I was stuck. The car was parked next to where mum’s had been. Eventually it did open, so I made my escape.

It turns out that there’s a power line running to a property behind my parent’s house which was very close to where the cars had been parked. This was apparently replaced as the owner had had issues, and it seems that some insulation wasn’t as good as it might have been, and possibly caused interference.

Neither of us has had any issue since, and the we can also unlock the cars from much further away than before.

Post #20739276th Aug 2019 10:38 am
philm

England 
Re: Hard reset ?

AzzaD wrote:
Quote:
Try a hard reset

Hard reset ?

Only thing I can think of - is to disconnect the main car battery ?

Is this the motoring equivalent to holding down the power button on an unresponsive PC ?

https://www.disco4.com/wiki/Hard_Reset
 L633 Defender
Range Rover Velar-gone
Discovery 4 Landmark-gone
Gap IID Tool 

Post #20739286th Aug 2019 11:06 am
AzzaD

United Kingdom 

Quote:
https://www.disco4.com/wiki/Hard_Reset

thanks for that - mine is a 2014 with Stop/Start; reading this from the wiki:

CAUTION: MY14 vehicles and later with Stop/Start have an additional battery fitted; the implications of this for the hard reset technique are not fully understood.

Looks like I will need to google the hard reset further.

I like keyless, but right now I miss the simplicity of a key, with central locking you could see working that you could easily break into yourself Smile

the AA man told me that there is only a single battery for the Disco 4 with S/S. Who is right ?

Post #20739306th Aug 2019 11:16 am
philm

England 

Did it on mine, MY16 had no problems.
 L633 Defender
Range Rover Velar-gone
Discovery 4 Landmark-gone
Gap IID Tool 

Post #20739316th Aug 2019 11:18 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

im new to D3/D4 but have been with FL2 for a few years. They arent fitted with keyless entry but IIRC there are quite a few that have issues with unlocking/locking off the keyfob.

in some cases it was a single faulty door lock mechanism that was causing issues which was cured by a new solenoid etc, and in others the receiver module was faulty and required replacing.

the door solenoids should show up on IID as should the module so the first step would be to get the codes read.

fingers crossed, good luck Thumbs Up

and the hard reset was a common initial fix on Freelander 2, either disconnect both battery leads and leave for a while before reconnecting or disconnect and touch +ive and -ive together to clear any residual discharge.

Last edited by RogB on 6th Aug 2019 11:29 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #20739326th Aug 2019 11:25 am
Dudleydisco

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:

the AA man told me that there is only a single battery for the Disco 4 with S/S. Who is right ?

The AA Man is wrong. The main cranking battery is on the near side by the FBH, the Auxiliary battery is under the cover on the offside with the brake cylinder.
 D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
D4 MY13 HSE Lux - RLD/IID BT
P38 RR - Sad parting
110 - Even sadder parting
S3 88" - Still going strong after 23 years of ownership Smile

Post #20739336th Aug 2019 11:28 am
AzzaD

United Kingdom 

ok, first step will perform a very Microsoft inspired fix, hard reboot / reset to my car tonight and report back.

Is a D4 effectively a PC on wheels ?

Post #20739786th Aug 2019 3:10 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If I was doing a hard reset on a SS system I would disconnect both batteries leave for 10 minutes and then touch and hold both battery leads together while disconnected one battery at a time and then connect the battery leads back up to the batteries.
Corruption to the system can be caused by static electricity this method removes any static in the system, long shot but it may cure the problem.
Clock time will need resetting.
Are you sure the rotary knob is fully returning to park?-these have been known to fail or have a foreign object stopping them returning.
Start a new topic asking for help with an Iid tool, I’m sure there will be someone local to you willing to help for a few beer tokens Whistle
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20740676th Aug 2019 7:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >