Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Starting my carputer :o) build diary with questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LR3GuyJoe

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Starting my carputer :o) build diary with questions

Well I should start getting in my bits for my carputer tomorrow. Sort of an early christmas present for myself. I went with a prebuilt pc ebay was running a 20% cashback deal and it worked out to be cheaper than buying all the bits seprate.

The PC is a 1.6GHz Dual Core Atom it comes with a usb optical drive, the screen is a lilliput 7" EBY701-NP/C/T. The PC has built in bluetooth. I allready have a usb G wifi adapter for it. Im going to be running cenrafuse it seems like the most complete front end software and plus I found a cool LR3 skin for it. I'd likle to find a pc version of iGO8 for it. I have that on my htc touch pro and its great however I do have the centrafuse nav software for the meantime. So if anyone wants to follow the build I will post here.

I'm also hopping for some help on some ideas on install maybe some of you allready have some of this figured out. For the moment I plan to run it through the auxillary input but I was wondering if anyone has been able to incorperate the steering wheel controls into a carputer. I know that the volume will work with the aux input. But it would be nice to be able to use the other buttons to skip to another song or maybe navigate though the menus.

Also does the harman kardon system come with a Sub? I see the adjustment for sub in the sound menu but it dosent really seem like it does much. It does do some but it almost sounds like its just adjusting the bass levels just like the bass adjustment. Either way whats the best way to ad an amp for a sub to the exsiting system? I dont want to blow the doors off just a lil more lows.

Click image to enlarge

Post #38897716th Dec 2008 8:43 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 
Re: Starting my carputer :o) build diary with questions

wantsanlr3 wrote:
I'm also hopping for some help on some ideas on install maybe some of you allready have some of this figured out. For the moment I plan to run it through the auxillary input but I was wondering if anyone has been able to incorperate the steering wheel controls into a carputer. I know that the volume will work with the aux input. But it would be nice to be able to use the other buttons to skip to another song or maybe navigate though the menus.

I've integrated my steering controls with my car computer using phidgets - for which there is a centrafuse plugin. All I control is skip/rewind - the rest of the steering controls do the normal car stuff. I connected the steering control + and - into an analogue input on the phidgets 8/8/8 and it gives me a number between 1-999 depending on what button on the steering controls is pressed. Then you can program the centrafuse phidgets plugin to respond to particular numbers, once you know what's what.

For connecting the audio, I tapped straight into the extra loom that comes with the ipod module. This meant that when I return the vehicle to standard, I can remove the ipod kit and I've done no damage. The only other thing I had to do was disconnect the plug for the aux input on the back of the centre console.

More details on my install:
Topic #25613

Post #38908816th Dec 2008 11:29 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The sub woofer is in the lower part of the tailgate. sit on it and get someone to turn up the setting, you will feel it. TBH the sub does the job it needs to without vibrating your teeth out for no reason Wink

Also... search for Wigg's threads, he's built in all sort or electro'puter stuff into his.

Post #38908916th Dec 2008 11:29 pm
LR3GuyJoe

Thanks for the info guys!

Bobby thanks I will be ordering one of those. If I dont mind digging into the wires can I get around getting an ipod kit. Oh and fair warning I will be bouncing questions off you more later I'm sure Smile

Post #38912017th Dec 2008 12:11 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Dont know if you have rear aircon ( i dont ) so mine is fitted in the rear panel

Click image to enlarge
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #38912517th Dec 2008 12:23 am
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

The stock sub is Censored paper (sorry Si Whistle)

To add an amp for a sub upgrade you'll need a line converter to go from the stock amp to the sub amp.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #38916317th Dec 2008 4:26 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

wantsanlr3 wrote:
If I dont mind digging into the wires can I get around getting an ipod kit. Oh and fair warning I will be bouncing questions off you more later I'm sure Smile

You don't need the ipod kit, that was just my preference for a clean install. This thread has most of the details for how to tap into the aux input.

Post #38918117th Dec 2008 7:38 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

sideview wrote:
The stock sub is Censored paper (sorry Si Whistle)

Not a problem my dear... plenty good enough for me the stereo is Thumbs Up

Post #38923317th Dec 2008 11:18 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I want one of these set ups now Thumbs Up

What interfacing do you need to do to the car etc.

Post #38923417th Dec 2008 11:24 am
a_scayola

2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR3

Hi wantsanlr3,

I'm doing the exact same thing! Slightly different pc specs, and I went for the 629 Lilliput, but otherwise it looks like pretty much the same project. I'm even using Centrafuse too.

Couple questions for you: What LR3 skin is that you are talking about? So far I'm using the Grey Aura BW skin (http://forums.fluxmedia.net/skinning-discu...-skin.html) with all green buttons to kind of match the green lighting on the dash and stereo, but I would love to take a look at that skin you are referring to. I also made a LR3 logo to replace the Centrafuse logo, in case you want to use it: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/cf-skins/1...ost1275688. I'll post a pic of what it all looks like together when I get home.

The other, and most important question I have is, where are you mounting the screen?? I'm debating between down in the center console, where the ashtray is, or on top of the Nav screen with some kind of hinge to flip the monitor down when parked. The down in the console location is a lot easier to install neatly since there is plenty of space for cables, but you will lose both cupholders and you definitely can't use the monitor while driving. The location of the monitor is what's driving me nuts.

Sorry for the rambling, I think I got excited seeing someone else doing the same thing.

Regards,
Andres

Post #38988118th Dec 2008 8:31 pm
LR3GuyJoe

Hey Andres I got your PM your skin is great. I actually like yours better I think it looks more factory I'm going to try it out and see how it looks.

As far as the location goes I'm going to use the stock location of where the factory nav sysetem would be. I plan on using this bezel to make the mount. It will prob take some cutting to get it to work but I want it to look as factory as I can make it look.

http://store.mo-co-so.com/index.php?main_p...4tcf4modi7
Click image to enlarge

Right now I have it in the car on the mount that came with the screen just to get things working. Ill try to post some better pictures tmrw. But heres the temp location for now.

Click image to enlarge

I'm actually having alot of issues with centrafuze I cant get the gps or the bluetooth to work so I might be hitting you up on some questions over the weekend.

Heres the link for the skin
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/cf-skins/1...green.html

On a side not I got my LR3 down in miami. Im in the cocoa beach area.

I'll post some more info tmrw.

Post #39005319th Dec 2008 4:35 am
a_scayola

Oh, I see. My problem is I already have the factory Nav, so mine has to go on a different location. I think I'll end up putting the lilliput on top of the Nav with some friction hinges I took from an old laptop (the kind that make the laptop screen stay on whatever position you put it) so I can flip it down when parked. Looks like I'm headed for some modding!

I tried using bluetooth with Centrafuse before, to use my phones internet connection, but I couldn't make it connect automatically when I got in the car so I gave it up. But it was working, so I'll be glad to try to give you a hand with that. I'm using a Verizon modem I got from work (shhhh) for on-the-go internet.

Another cool thing with centrafuse is the OBD2 plugin, you can get all kinds of info from the vehicle computer. I just received my USB/OBD2 interface ($25 from China) but haven't tried it yet.

PM me your email so I can send you the green icons if you want to try them.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #39028919th Dec 2008 5:44 pm
LR3GuyJoe

I think I just got my bluetoth working. I think it was a hardware problem the board was supose to have BT built in but it sounds like it dosent or its bad, I used a usb BT adapter and everything worked great.

Let me know what you find out on your OBD adapter as that will be my next purchase.

Why dont you just use your factory screen? Ive seen a few post on here where peple integrated there factory screen to work with the carputer. Then maybe you can use the 2nd screen in the back or something.

Pm sent

Post #39037119th Dec 2008 8:02 pm
a_scayola

The original plan was to use the factory screen but there were several problems with that:
*No VGA input on the adapters, only composite inputs, meaning text will be softer and I'm pretty sure that the factory screen is only 640x480, but I can't find where I read that so don't quote me on it.
*You would have to patch into the touchscreen controller cable to be able to use the touchscreen with the carputer and it didn't look easy from Wiggs pictures.
*Price! The cheapest adapter I could find was $450 Vs. $200 for the Lilliput that solves all those problems.

Of course, now I have to find where the Censored to put the additional screen Wink

PM sent.

Post #39049419th Dec 2008 10:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >