DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Starting woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Rbillington

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Starting woes

Hi,
So yesterday I went to start my disco and whilst all lights came on, radio and everything, nothing from the engine.

I don’t think there were any clicks or noises at all, but it was raining heavy when first trying.

No amount of trying would do anything, but weirdly the lights didn’t dim. Not like an old car where it out all power in the start the battery got flatter and flatter. I left it overnight to think about what it’s done and come back today to try again.

Tested battery voltage this morning and got 12.2v, so took the battery out to charge, and after about 5 hours it read 12.9 so I thought I’d try it again.

Still the same, nothing from the engine. Lights work, radio works. Just no starter at all. On the dash the battery light stays on after I’ve held the start button. And it’s not the brake pedal sensor, as it doesn’t give you errors about pressing brake pedal to start.

Have I been too keen to try the battery again? Or is it sounding like the starters knackered?

I tested last week (due to wiper issues again which was knackered battery last time) and was getting 13 something from the battery and 14.4v from the alternator when running

Ps. New battery 11 months ago from Tayna. Endurance line or something.

PPS. I’ve bought a boost pack from Amazon as well, this hasn’t helped, but then it went from 99% charged to 60% charged just by connecting it, so I have a feeling I’ve bought a dud at a really bad time.

No jumper cables to try from something else here.

If all else fails I’m coming back (it’s at work) tomorrow and will call breakdown. But was hoping it was just battery and I could get it replaced under warranty without being charged for a new one.

TIA

Rich
 Disco 4 2012 HSE, Nara Bronze

Gone but not forgotten
2007 FreeL2 XS, Stornoway Grey 

Post #23521633rd Nov 2023 4:16 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

most likely very simple and will be the earth issue to the engine all the symptoms are right for that ! just attach a jump lead from your battery negative post attach the other end to any metallic part accessible on the engine . Should fire straight up now ! fitting the new earth lead from the chassis to engine is a longer job and is better to take a new negative feed to the engine from the battery.
It is one of the more common discovery issues and maybe the easiest to fix.

Post #23521783rd Nov 2023 8:22 pm
Rbillington

Ahh, didn’t know that issue.

Will check it tomorrow before calling breakdown. Let’s hope
It’s something simple like that.

Although a quick google around says it’s a bit tricky to change out.

Gone but not forgotten

Post #23521803rd Nov 2023 9:45 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Exactly the point I was getting at it is not an easy replacement as its so inaccessible hence why I say there is more than one way of achieving a fix . mine for example is running on what was a temporary fix two years ago Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Obviously not just the jump lead but that will get you home to do something more permanent . if you havent got jump leads your starter pack will do the job just attach the positive to positive on the battery and the negative cable to the engine. once started that should get you home without the leads attached.

In true landrover fashion the same issue is now causing issues in Disco 5s

Looking at your location we wouldnt be very far away from each other!

Post #23521924th Nov 2023 1:02 am
Rbillington

Thanks for the advice and thanks to all the other posters who I searched and found advice.

Earth cable inside the right hand wheel arch was so corroded it was disintegrating as a touched it. Replaced with 2 x 2awg Earth cables from Amazon.

All working, started first time.

Hopefully this means that either the battery will cheat he better now. Otherwise I’ll have to see if this problem has knackered.

Thanks again for all the advice

Rich

Gone but not forgotten

Post #23522985th Nov 2023 7:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >