Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Steering Wheel Ajustment - Auto ???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ROYLANCE

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Steering Wheel Ajustment - Auto ???

Noticed the other day that our Disco 4 has a setting on the steering wheel adjustment
You can turn the knob to face the Auto setting but what the hell does it do
I checked the manual but couldn't find anything Exclamation

Is it something to do with the easy access thingy where the seat lowers when getting out - if it is mine aint working Very Happy
 2007 RS4 Avant
Gone just when it was looking so good - 2010 HSE, Nara Bronze + RLD dogs danglies Sump PLate & spare wheel protector + Side Steps + Wiggs Remote Climate + 20" Genuine Stormers + Cooper LTZ Bad Boys + Landmark Black Gloss Grille & Vents + Black Gloss Door Handle Skins + Cubby fridge + Sliding Rear Loadspace 

Post #9178655th Apr 2012 7:27 pm
Zapp79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I can't figure it out either. Embarassed

It is supposed to move to the 'access' position when you shut the engine off, and move back to 'driving' position when you get in, shut the door and fire up. I got it to move to driving position once but have failed to get it to move to access position so far,

Post #9178695th Apr 2012 7:35 pm
ROYLANCE

Yep same here Zap

I thought it maybe was an easy access feature, i switched it to auto and the wheel moved an inch and that was it nothing.
Maybe the switch has come over from the D3 and that function isnt available on the D4

I couldn't find anything in the manual either
 2007 RS4 Avant
Gone just when it was looking so good - 2010 HSE, Nara Bronze + RLD dogs danglies Sump PLate & spare wheel protector + Side Steps + Wiggs Remote Climate + 20" Genuine Stormers + Cooper LTZ Bad Boys + Landmark Black Gloss Grille & Vents + Black Gloss Door Handle Skins + Cubby fridge + Sliding Rear Loadspace 

Post #9178755th Apr 2012 7:46 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine works fine on my D3 Confused When I remove the key, the seal moves back and the steering column forward and up. Its a pain in the knees for back seat passengers though, so normally leave it switched to manual.

Post #9178765th Apr 2012 7:51 pm
Zapp79

Seems a bit odd they would leave something so obvious as this off a new D4 though. I did read something in the manual, around the bit about seat adjustment if I recall. Nothing too helpful though.

I had it in mind for my list of 'first month snagging' questions back to the dealer... like what the white plastic loop thing is that I found broken under the seat... and how can I stop the heated front and rear screen coming on automatically when the temperature is <4 degrees... and if it is possible to prevent the A/V stuff turning off after 10 minutes or when the engine is stopped. Confused

Far too clever for it's own good (or mine)

Post #9178775th Apr 2012 7:54 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Maybe you need to set up the access position? ie, take the key away, and then move the seat and wheel to your desired access position, then put the key in the car and see if it returns to normal? Mine was not bought new to me, so may have been setup prior to my ownership.

Why don't you want auto screen heating below 4 degrees? I would love that feature. Also, my car has a run of wire with a white plastic strip in it. I was told it was part of the SRS wiring, and supposed to be like that.

Radio off after 10 minutes is battery saver, it draws about 20 amps when switched on, as the nav/phone/tv and anything else related to infotainment is also powered up. Its very easy to flatten a D3 battery, I presume the D4 is the same.

Post #9178825th Apr 2012 8:04 pm
Zapp79

I have programmed the seat / mirrors easily. This access mode thing seems to defy logic. I have also tried wandering back and forth with the key to the point that my next door neighbour must be wondering if I have gone crackers.

Will have another go at it this weekend - if the men in white coats come around it's your fault Laughing

I only want the screen heating on when I want it to be on. For short hops in low temperatures it is a sure fire battery killer if both heated screens fire up all the time. I also find that it makes the windscreen a bit fuzzy when it gets hot - suppose it is heat haze!

Sure, not a bit problem to press the button to turn the heaters off, but, equally, it isn't too much hardship to press the button to turn them on.

I never flattened my D3 battery with the radio over the 3 years I owned it. Hear what you say though, not exactly friendly on the battery to have all the a/v running, but I can't see how this is any worse than having no control over when the heated screens come on. It is a bit irritating when sat outside the shops watching telly or a film whilst SWMBO is 'browsing'.

Post #9179075th Apr 2012 9:17 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

auto mode on my steering wheel works fine, steering wheel goes up and drivers seat moves back as soon as I open the door to get out, moves back to the correct position as soon as I press the start button. If the steering wheel is already in the highest position only the seat will move.

Post #9179205th Apr 2012 9:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ROYLANCE

Yep working on mine
Being 6ft 4 the seat is already fully back/down as far as it will go and the steering wheel fully up so it appeared like nothing was happening.
Only saw access mode working by accident when the Mrs was driving, the other day.
I guess it's only for the vertically challenged Laughing
 2007 RS4 Avant

Post #9286576th May 2012 8:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >