Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

steering wheel juddering under acceletarion from 140 kph
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

new steering rack, new ball joints, new bushes brakes wearing evenly.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #93050511th May 2012 8:59 am
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

But this only a 45k mls D4?

Post #93051811th May 2012 9:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chichor

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Hi mates,

My D4 has been tested by my dealer last Friday.
In short: "Your D4 is working perfectly, since the vibration you notice at the steering wheel are normal in this model....try to drive a RRS and you will see!!" Big Cry Big Cry

Unfortunately, that was the conclusion that I was expecting from them...

"Gear box working perfectly therefore no need to change the oil with only 70.000 kms..."
"Not any strange noise coming from both Diff therefore, don't touch!
"Propshaft are OK" (....how the hell did you checked it !!...I thought Shocked)
"Brakes also OK"
and etc, etc, etc....

Finally, thanks to my insistence, the manager has accepted the posibility that the steering rack could be failing...
Bow down Bow down Bow down
I will leave the car to them for a deeply checking of this point and....in case that the problem is the steering rack, then...the next steep is how to change the steering rack under warranty (my dealer's comment!!)
According to them , LR is getting too hard with the warranty issue and the dealers must follow the Technical Bulletins step by step before replacing any part under warranty.
In case of the steering rack...it is difficult to demonstrate that the juddering is coming from there.... Shocked Shocked

Will keep updating Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #93130614th May 2012 1:42 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

just to keep yer updated, new prop - all is well, no judder even under load, TBH the tech showed me it after taken off and confirmed it was knackered.

Brakes - NSR plate now rubbing since new disc/pads all round - going back in tomorrow to have its fourth new injector since the engine install and also compression test as LR suspect the engine might be fubar'd Shocked

Post #93163514th May 2012 11:14 pm
caverD3

Front or rear prop character?

With your milage there may be a little wear in the engine. Rolling Eyes Laughing
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #93165315th May 2012 12:53 am
Chichor

Thanks for updating, Character Thumbs Up

Undoubtedly, propshaft was the problem on yours...BTW how many miles had your D3 done when the shaft said "enough"? Too much offroad use, perhaps?

Mine will be checked by the dealer during the next week...we will see!

Hoping that your engine is not as damaged as they are suspecting....
Personally, I have the impression that our TDV6 engine is quite reliable and hardwearing
....although there might be any kind of good additive (already tested) for preventing problems coming from a high mileage or even for recovering the engine health
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes will consider it !!

Post #93202015th May 2012 11:51 pm
Emon

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Chichor,

Don't know if you have a satisfactory solution for the issue, but when I had similar at high speed it was the wheel alignment - as simple as that. Better to eliminate all the basics before expensive surgery.
 Emon
Chairman, G4ownersclub.com 

Post #94635924th Jun 2012 4:14 pm
Chichor

Hi Emon,

The car was revised twice at the dealer but nothing has changed at all.
I'm really a bit desperate with this poblem indeed.
The only thing they said is "This is a normal juddering for this car due to the neumatic suspension and heavy weight".... Big Cry Big Cry
"...the Ranfge Rover Sport is even worst" ....but this reason does not make me happy.
They even tried to solve the problem by tightening the steering rack, and the handling is now more consistent but the juddering is still there

Wheel balance done 3 times, as well as the alignement but....nothing change.

The point is: Juddering only under acceleration from 140 kph.

When I'm driving smoothly at that speed (or more) ....no problem of juddering!! But when the accel pedal is flat to the floor...the steering wheel juddering appears....from 140 kph....quite displeasing.

Should I ask to the guys of "Top Gear" ??? Bow down Bow down

Post #94676925th Jun 2012 4:48 pm
Emon

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Hi Chichor,

May be we don't notice the issue much as we tend not to drive that fast, you could see if there are any D3 forums in Germany. Wink

Good luck.
 Emon
Chairman, G4ownersclub.com 

Post #94692525th Jun 2012 9:00 pm
caverD3

Have they checked the rear prop shaft bracket? There was recall for cracked brackets on earlier D4s. Idea
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #94697225th Jun 2012 10:18 pm
Chichor

Hi Emon,

I have visited several forums about the Disco 3 and4 but I could no find someone having similar problem as mine.
Do you really think that 140kph is too fast for our cars?? ...perhaps I was expecting much more high-performance than the D4 can give me on-road....(as my brother says...and what the dealer is trying to convince me!!)
Anyway, I'm still thinking that my car has a mechanical and misterious problem ...and I do not want to give up solving it !

Hi CaverD3,

Yes, I have checked te center bracket of the rear prop shaft (the first thing I checked indeed!)
I did it by myself since I can not trust the dealer (unfortunately Big Cry ) here in Spain.
As far as I could check. the bracket was perfect, without cracks or rust....
Next week I'm planning to leave the car at the dealer again (still under warraty!) andI will ask them for checking it ...for being sure.
I'm still thinking that the problem must be located in the steering system Confused Confused

Post #94709626th Jun 2012 10:43 am
chopdogs

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Try a four wheel alignment

I had a similar problem - vibration at speed. It eventually caused the side of one tyre to wear down so may be worth looking at your tyres to see if there's unevne wear

Make sure the garage you choose understands that a Disco needs to be put into geometry mode before the alignment. If they don't know about this I'd advise you go somewhere else as I believe it's not a simple operation and if not done the alignment won't be correct
 14 Disco 4 HSE  
Post #100940826th Nov 2012 3:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chichor

Finally I tried a new LR dealer and after check the settings of axles geometry (convergences....) the problem hs been solved at 90%.
However I'm still feeling an annoying vibration inside the car (not only through the steering wheel) when driving at high speed on the Highway.

Besides to the axles set up, the dealer has also replaced the steering rack as well as the front lower wishbones.
Alignment & wheel balance also done and, tyres are new !! (Goodyear).

Now the only thing I can try is a Dynamic Alignment, which I'm intending to do within the coming days.

Will post my impressions once done

Cheers

Post #100984027th Nov 2012 12:05 pm
RobertI

Sweden 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi Chicor,

I actually have the same problem as you have (had) but only at speeds between 95-135 km/h and even when cruising (not accelerating). Please update on what has happended since November.

Thanks.

/Robert

Post #105233610th Feb 2013 12:44 am
Chichor

Hi Robert,

Sorry but nothing changed from my last post.
I tried the Dynamic Alignment but no way, the machine that the tyre shops around my town are using for this is not powerful enough for moving the transmission of our D4.

Finally I tried wheel balance in 4 different shops but without satisfactory results.
Although I noticed that our D4 is too sensible to the wheel balance and tyre preassure, so I strongly recommend you to check:
- Wheel balance in a reliable shop.
- Tyre preassure (in fact I'm gonna fit a TPMS on my car!!)
- Alignment + Axles Geometry settings (this one solves my problems at 90%)

Moreover, It is quite important to revise also the silentblocks of the front lower wishbones (quite delicated in case of D4).

My D4 is now close to the next service at the dealer (after 2000 kms) and I will ask them to re-check the axles Geometry once more.
I'm almost sure that if the dealer tries hard to tune up the axles setting, The problem of my car will be solved at 100% (now is about 90%).

Hope this info can be useful for you !! Good luck. Wink

Post #105295310th Feb 2013 9:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >