DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

steering wheel shake, please help.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
barrybazz

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
steering wheel shake, please help.

Hey all please help,
For the last 6 months i have had a vibration and steering wheel shake while braking, it has got progressively worse over this time. At first i thought it was the brake discs but i changed these twice for genuine discs and pads. Next i changed the track rods and track rod ends the vibration is still there. I took the d3 to my local main dealer for a health check they recommended changing the brake reaction bushes. i don't know what brake reaction bushes are but when i researched the part number it appears to be front lower control arm rear bush. is this correct? i have since changed complete upper and lower front control arms with new bushes and ball joints. i have also replaced the anti roll bar bushes and drop links. vibration is still there. I remember the last time it was serviced the mechanic said i would be looking for a new steering rack in the future due to it leaking fluid. so do i buy a new steering rack or am i missing something. all parts above were fitted as per manufacturers instructions. all the tyres are the same and the pressures are as they should. i am going to have the 4 wheel alignment done this week to see if it improves it but surely it can't be something that simple can it? i mean the shake in the steering wheel is quite violent and loud?

Post #17756027th Feb 2017 10:58 pm
barrybazz

vibrations

Today i had the 4 wheel laser wheel alignment done to see if it made a difference but the shake is still there. There is little or no vibrations felt through the brake pedal, it all seems to come from the steering wheel. Any suggestions?

Post #17760098th Feb 2017 9:20 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Crikey, you've replaced just about everything possible Rolling Eyes are there any irregularities in the front tyres ? ......Have you tried swapping the rear wheels with the fronts ?
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #17760188th Feb 2017 9:43 pm
barrybazz

tyres

The tyres seem to be ok the front ones are wearing quicker than the back but loads of tread on all of them. I have planned to rotate them to even out the wear so i will give it a try. i have also checked the wheel bearings and can't find any movement in them. tomorrow I'm going to stick a go pro in the wheel arch to see if i can find any movement.

Post #17760228th Feb 2017 9:51 pm
trailhound

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: steering wheel shake, please help.

barrybazz wrote:
I remember the last time it was serviced the mechanic said i would be looking for a new steering rack in the future due to it leaking fluid.

This isn't meant to sound sarcastic Embarassed , as I barely know what a steering rack is Embarassed , but...

Perhaps someone more mechanical can suggest if the symptoms of the rack on the way out are like yours?

Post #17760238th Feb 2017 9:51 pm
barrybazz

steering rack

No not sarcastic at all Thumbs Up . I'm glad I'm getting some feedback from people. From the day it started shaking i was thinking steering rack, I have tried to find similar symptoms to mine that turned out to be a steering rack but couldn't find any. The main dealer seemed sure it was the bushes so i changed these first. i don't think theres anything else it could be other than the steering rack but i was hoping someone with more experience could advise.

Post #17760348th Feb 2017 10:09 pm
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Is it just high speed braking or low speed, or all speeds?

I had a strange one a while back, low speed braking gave a slight shake through the steering wheel.

Then later on on a journey got got worse, a lot worse and I had very hot front breaks.

I stopped and checked wheel nuts and some of the front ones took a small bit of a turn, but none were loose. Brakes were cooled and I started driving again and all was okay. And no re-occurence.

So I'm not sure exactly what it was, maybe a nut or two were very slightly loose, maybe I was going a bit quick for the brakes (undulating twisty roads, pressing on at a reasonable speed Whistle ) but have done similar since and had no repeat. Brake discs lasted fine till last month as well, and the incident was the end of Feb last year.

I've recently started getting a shake at higher speeds, about 50mph (nothing lower then 45, not noticed above 60) and I'm sure that's lower arm bushes. Which I need to get done.

Post #17760518th Feb 2017 10:39 pm
barrybazz

all speeds

Its pretty much all speeds above 20 mph. The faster the speed the faster the shake and the louder the noise is. I've had the wheels off recently and all nuts torqued to 140nm when tightening. I will check them again when i rotate the tyres. Thumbs Up

Post #17760558th Feb 2017 10:51 pm
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Have you had the wheels balanced? I know out of balance should mean the wobble is there constantly but on the machine it might show up an uneven tyre or rim.

Post #17760728th Feb 2017 11:23 pm
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If your sure your calipers Pistons or sliders aren't sticking or stuck( a common cause of steering wobble under braking) then really the only thing left is the short input shaft from column to rack usually this causes stiff steering by the u/j siezing but it is possible for it to wear and have play and then you get wobble under braking

Post #17763259th Feb 2017 3:56 pm
PeterTh

Sweden 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

My money is on slightly sticking calipers.

//Peter
 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Automatic
1999 Discovery 2 V8 ES Automatic

Earlier
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Automatic
1996 Discovery 300 Tdi ES Automatic
1975 Series 3 2.25 diesel

Nanocom Evolution for D2 V8, D3 and D4

Working kelpies for working the sheep
Dog Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep 

Post #17764009th Feb 2017 5:46 pm
barrybazz

brakes

Just spoke to my not so local indie today, who suggested clamping both front brake hoses and take it for a spin to see if this eliminated the shake/vibe, if not clamp the rear hose and see. He seems very certain its brake related and a broken steering rack would not cause this. i will try this tomorrow and update here hope fully i can track it down because it driving me insane.

Post #17765029th Feb 2017 8:38 pm
barrybazz

callipers

And the winner is PeterTh! Thumbs Up

I have just been out for a spin i clamped both front brake lines the car would barley move. I drove for about 1km and took off the clamps as there was no shake when the brakes applied. I felt both wheels and the off side front was very hot and the near side front was cold as were the rear wheels. I left it cool for a bit and applied one clamp to the offside front and went for a spin i still have shake when brakes applied. I then removed the clamp and put it on the nearside front, went for a spin and no vibration what so ever. I was a bit worried about the heat in the front offside wheel so i lifted both wheels and both spin freely so i guess it was just the clamp.

With regard to the vibration does anyone have a suggestion as to what can be done? Is it something simple like lubricating sliders or pistons or should i be looking at a new calliper or maybe 2 new callipers? Maybe i should upgrade to v8 discs as I'm in there.

Post #177676810th Feb 2017 12:58 pm
ton.discovery

Netherlands 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I had the same. My brake disk were warped. Had them machined. After that it was not gone completely.
Last week replaced my front lower arms (advanced factors).It is gone now.

Post #177682010th Feb 2017 3:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
barrybazz

callipers

as i have replaced the discs twice already with genuine discs I'm going to try the calliper first. glad you got yours sorted.

Post #177682210th Feb 2017 3:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >