Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Steering wheel wobble - any thoughts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Redline

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4
Steering wheel wobble - any thoughts?

Have read many posts on this but most refer to a wobble through the steering under braking.

I have a wobble at all speeds but the wobble is more pronounced at slow speeds under 30mph and under no load. It is far more noticeable on very smooth surfaces (which are rare these days).

It is there even more distinctly at slow speed and it doesn't seem directly related to road speed. The wobble is or seems constant even if you double the speed from 15 to 30 so I don't think it is tyre related.

If I had to guess I'd say its from the near side. The car has pulled left slightly which I put down to tracking.

Not getting hot wheels after a journey so don't suspect brake issues but there is also a slight whining related to engine speed but it isn't there all the time. Difficult to tell exactly where it comes from.

The car is in for some warranty work on Monday (amongst other things suspected nearside bottom suspension bush) so now would be a good time to have this looked at.

Impossible to diagnose from a brief description, but any thoughts on potential causes?
Am expecting it to be something expensive but hopefully covered under warranty too.
 Current : Discovery 4 HSE (2012 spec)
Current : BMW Z4 20i MSport
Current : BWM Z4 3.0SI Sport Auto
Previous : Freelander 2 HSE 

Post #194046628th Apr 2018 4:57 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

What are your tyres like?

Specifically, run a hand around the inside edge of the tyre going against the normal rotation - I suspect you may well find that they have gone ‘blocky’

This would suggest you need to look at four wheel alignment and/or bushes as it may well be that worn tyres are causing the imbalance and therefore the vibration.
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #19426555th May 2018 4:38 pm
Redline

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Tyres are all worn evenly but are all at 4mm or thereabouts. I’d originally put it down to that and geometry - have had similar problems with Scorpion Zeros on my old FL2.

It is in having a service and some warranty work at the moment (AC condenser and alternator replacement so it’s getting cam belts done too). They’re going to look at this next.

Hoping to run those tyres for a few weeks yet if possible. Just had to fork out for tyres all round and a new alloy for my wife’s Z4 this week.
 Current : Discovery 4 HSE (2012 spec)
Current : BMW Z4 20i MSport
Current : BWM Z4 3.0SI Sport Auto
Previous : Freelander 2 HSE 

Post #19426665th May 2018 5:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >