Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Sticky Caliper or Bearing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
reb78

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3
Sticky Caliper or Bearing

Driving from Kent to Cornwall, an issue became apparent on the D3. It seems to only occur if you have travelled at speed but it may just be less noticeable if going slower.

Travelling along, gave the car some welly to overtake some cars on the A303 and it started making a rough rumbling noise. When braking, we then got quite a judder. Pulled over and stopped and the front right wheel was hot - seemed typical of a sticky caliper.

Pads are low but not too low. I did go through a LOT of water a couple of weeks ago. I havent had it in the air yet but there is no sidewards play in the wheel when it is on the floor. We stopped for a bit when it first did it and it seemed to dissapear for the rest of the journey.

I initially thought sticky caliper, could be pins, but I keep these serviced so never tend to have problems with them.

Then I read this thread - https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic195426.html?view=next which ended up beign a wheel bearing. The rumbling noise was more what i would expect from a bearing but I would have thought if thats gone, its gone and wont resolve? The OP in the link above didnt seem to identify the bearing issue on the vehicle (which, given the noise his was making in the youtube vid is surprising!)

Need to get it on my ramp but welcome thoughts on the potential culprits.

Am inclined to change the pads and grease the pins and check rubbers initially. Change caliper if the pistons seems sticky or wheel bearing if obvious.

Post #235703828th Dec 2023 1:04 pm
disco chris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'd say that if you can feel the hot wheel again, try and (now don't burn yourself) work out if the rotor itself is very hot, significantly hotter than the others. If it is then I'd say it's fairly certain that a sticky caliper is your problem.

If the rotor isn't particularly hotter than the rest but there's heat in the middle of the wheel near the wheel nuts (which isn't present on the other wheels) then could be the bearing.

Chris

Post #235704028th Dec 2023 1:55 pm
Flapper

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi I had a simular problem did the usual check and greese the pins and change the pads.
Mine turned out to be the flexi hose.
It had collapsed inside and it was like a one way valve.
If you do change the flexi pipe consider upgrading to v8 brakes or 4pot brembos.
The v8 gives you bigger discs all you need to change is the carrier same caliper
The 4 pot brembos give you discovery 4 discs and 4 pistons and no pins and they stop so much better.

Post #235713729th Dec 2023 11:14 am
Flapper

Just saw the other post if a front wheel bearing goes just wind down the window as it sounds like metal on metal

Post #235713829th Dec 2023 11:16 am
reb78

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

Flapper wrote:
Hi I had a simular problem did the usual check and greese the pins and change the pads.
Mine turned out to be the flexi hose.
It had collapsed inside and it was like a one way valve.
If you do change the flexi pipe consider upgrading to v8 brakes or 4pot brembos.
The v8 gives you bigger discs all you need to change is the carrier same caliper
The 4 pot brembos give you discovery 4 discs and 4 pistons and no pins and they stop so much better.

How did you diagnose the flexi on yours? I was trying to avoid a series of replace and see!

Post #235714429th Dec 2023 11:48 am
Flapper

Hi I found out by accident I was bleeding the brakes after I changed the fluid and noticed the bubbles in the tube you attached to the bleed nipple didn't go back up the tube when i forget to tighten the bleed screw and lift your foot off the pedal.
I checked this on another caliper and if you forget the bubbles go up, but on the collapsed pipe they just stayed still or went down when you pushed the pedal.

I know it's a bit long winded, also get a presure bleeder its a game changer.

I changed my front brakes to 4 pot brembo no more pins and now it stops.

Good luck

Post #235714829th Dec 2023 12:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >