DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Stiff gearbox
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BWSB

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Stiff gearbox

Everyone,

Has anyone else come accross a sticky manual gear box when starting up, especially when selecting reverse.

The only way to descibe it is if you cast your mind back to earlier cars, when the clutch used to drag it was hard to select any gears as the box was still turning.

This is exactly how my one feels in the morning, sometimes it's so hard to select reverse it's easier to select before starting the thing. Even when warm it seems a little hard to get into first or reverse, every other gear when mooving is all ok.

The Garage just say that it's typical on these LR3's and they'll change the oil and see if that makes any difference.

Comments would be appreciated.

Post #693949th Jul 2006 10:11 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Nooo, here we go again, it's all coming back... Shocked

I (and some others) had (have?) this problem, if it's anything like mine was you'll find it's even harder to get into reverse if you park on a slight slope facing uphill. Without going into detail (coz that would take a while) my dealer changed gearbox oil, lubricated this that and t'other and it did improve but not completely rectify the problem. Only recently has it been fully resolved, when I had the clutch changed the dealer found a faulty something or other on the gear change mechanism and since they rectified that it's great (as is my heavy duty clutch!)

Doesn't help too much does it but I'm going to see my dealer very soon to get my D3 booked in for it's 'enhancement' so I'll ask them for specifics you can go armed to your dealer with.
 The End  
Post #693969th Jul 2006 10:27 pm
OffRoader

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Here too

Mine tend to have the same problem. It's Manual, TD6 and build at end August 2005. Let's see if the service can get any fixes for the problems related to get 1st gear and reverse on.

Offroader
 -- too many modifications made to my Disco 3 to be listed in here --  
Post #7281324th Jul 2006 6:23 pm
al cope

England 

there is a fix, and it involves some sort of adjustment/lubrication, and it involves gearbox out, as I've had this issue/fix.

2 days in the dealers.

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #7305725th Jul 2006 4:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Asked my dealer what they replaced on mine to fix it, apparently there is a plastic fitting of some sort at the base of the gearstick that was damaged, they replaced this (along with the gearstick as it comes as a one piece unit) and it's 100% better Very Happy
 The End  
Post #7306225th Jul 2006 5:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >