Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Still hot air at your face?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Getafix

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Still hot air at your face?

Out of interest, I have always found it odd that the D3 allows hot air out of the vent on the dash when in "auto" mode. No other vehicle I have driven does this when in auto mode. Basically, who wants hot air on your face without asking for it?

So, does the D4 now have a more regular, (and in my opinion better) auto mode on the air con? Or is hot air still blown at you face if the temp setting is higher than the air outside?
 <*(((<<  
Post #6322255th Apr 2010 11:28 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Getafix,

I don't understand your issue with this.

If you have selected a warmer inside temperature than the ambient outside temperature then surely you are wanting the car interior (and yourself) to be heated up?

The LR bods are assuming that you want warm air directed towards you in order to achieve this.

If however you don't want warm air from the face vents when the system is trying to heat the up the car interior due to your settings, then just turn them off, or down, or direct them away from your face.

Post #6322456th Apr 2010 12:30 am
Getafix

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yep, maybe its an English thing? or maybe its an Aussie thing? Here, warm air on the face is a no-no, due to people falling asleep at the wheel etc. (its also "yuk" in my opinion). Warm air is always directed at legs and body, whilst cool is directed to the face (often at the same time).

The Aussie cars I have driven have (in my mind) more advanced climate control which I just find really odd. For example, automatic warm air on the windscreen when the screen is misting up (this works really well). Yep, I can change the temp or move the vents, but the whole point of a very expensive vehicle surely is that it is smarter than that. However, very small point, just an annoyance everytime I get into the D3, just wondered if it had been improved on the D4. (chances of me upgrading however are pretty remote, so more idol curiosity than real intent). I had assumed the jags 'n stuff would have an advanced level of climate control, just wondered about the D4.

Thanks for the response DiscoDad. Thumbs Up
 <*(((<<  
Post #6322526th Apr 2010 2:40 am
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Well, since I bought my D4 in November, outside temperatures have barely reached double figures yet so I can confirm that yes, the D4 will blow warm air at your face. Unless that is that LR have a different configuration for vehicles sold in warmer climates.

I know what you mean that warm air in the face is not very nice, I have the centre vents directed down the middle of the car and the two side vents directed towards the windows. This is fine for the UK climate all year round! Laughing

Post #6322886th Apr 2010 8:31 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

My old Volvo always blew cold from the centre vents, There was an in-dealer poster proclaiming this was a safety feature that allowed you to stay alert even if the inside of the car was set to sauna.
My newer Volvos didn't have this feature; apparently it's no longer unsafe to be wafted asleep by hot air whilst driving Rolling Eyes

I for one found it hugely beneficial, but I suspect it needs to be designed into the air-con trunking rather than any software option, and so I suspect the removal of the parallel trunking for the centre vents was a cost saving at the expense of safety.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #6324016th Apr 2010 12:05 pm
thriftwood

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

The only way I can get my D4 to blow much(any!) air through the centre vents (front or rear) is to switch it out of auto and use the manual settings Sad I guess it may blow cold air through them in the summer but it hasn't been warm enough here yet to try that. The car mists up badly in the back if I have rear passengers unless I use the manual settings Sad Pretty poor given it is designed to carry 7 - really needs rear a/c IMO. Evil or Very Mad
Personally I would prefer it to use all the vents when warming the car up - I can always point them away from my face if I'm too warm.
Maybe the assurance re-programming will allow warm air in auto mode Wink
Richard

Post #6328036th Apr 2010 11:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >