DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Stolen car - PCP advice needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sirrah4941

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Stolen car - PCP advice needed

Hi all.
I am sad to say that my 2016 Disco HSE in Santori black was taken from outside my house on Thursday in broad day light! I am amazed at how quickly they broke in and started the car (less than 1 minute) - I must be naive as I would expect the electronics to be harder to crack than that!

Any way- the short story is the car was used to ram a Police car off the road and then it was abandoned. I am making arrangements to see it and to understand if its repairable or a write off Sad

This is the only car I have not had Gap insurance on (please don't judge!) and my question is:
Insurance will give market value if the car is written off - anyone had any experience of this?
Short fall (worse case) is going to be apron 9k - is there a way I can claim anywhere for this? seems mad that people are negatively impacted financially for some morons actions (thinking criminal compensation?)
Reading the LR finance it states "we may require you to pay the difference, less any applicable rebate for early settlement" - do this mean that they MAY not ask me for the difference? as it doesn't state they WILL? - anyone had any experience of this?
What are any other experiences where Gap wasn't in place and the car was subject to being written off?

I am googling like mad, but cant see much on this subject.

Any advice welcome (please don't message me to say I am stupid not having Gap - I know Sad )

Post #187200124th Oct 2017 8:08 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I could be wrong here but as its not your fault I thought you could demand that they fix it even though tey will talk you out of it?

Post #187200424th Oct 2017 8:16 pm
Sirrah4941

I'm am not sure of the damage yet - it is possible that the car could have had severe impact on the rear end (it was reversed at speed into a police car which has been written off) so this tells me there is significant damage so I am preparing for the worse

Post #187200524th Oct 2017 8:18 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

You can only "demand" an insurer settles the claim in accordance with the policy terms.

Post #187201124th Oct 2017 8:26 pm
Sirrah4941

The policy terms from the insurance (elephant in this case) - this is market value and not much else!

This doesn't seem just that people are financially impacted negatively this way!!

So if the insurance pay market value, you are saying I owe the short fall and I have to suck it up?

Post #187201224th Oct 2017 8:28 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Did you buy it new, my insurers offer a new replacement, up to 2 years if written off. Don't know if it would stretch to a D5

Post #187201324th Oct 2017 8:30 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

The early settlement on the finance agreement could be less than the outstanding payments.

You really need to speak to both your insurer and finance provider for definite answers. Thumbs Up

Post #187201424th Oct 2017 8:32 pm
Sirrah4941

I did buy it new -
i have insurance with Elephant and their policy booklet is vague! I am waiting to speak to them on their view but reading other threads the whole admiral group do not offer this!

I am thinking why I didn't take GAP and the only reason is I remember a friend who pointed out you can get up to 2 years in a normal insurance policy so it seems odd I would have gone with Elephant if they did not offer it!

Also - the GFV is 24k but thats at the end of the agreement - the current settlement price is going to be around 41k and market value at a quick look on the net is 33k so am i looking at the shortfall coming out of my pocket?!

Post #187201724th Oct 2017 8:33 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

It does seem the Admiral group are one of the few that don't offer the "new car replacement" However the norm is for cars less than 12 month old (and you are the first owner) There are a couple of insurers who go as far as 24 months.

Hope you have your figures wrong and settlement is better than your initial thoughts. Thumbs Up

Post #187203424th Oct 2017 9:17 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

If the culprits were arrested speak to the officer in the case when completing a statement and get them to apply to the court for compensation for your losses! Very Happy

Post #187203924th Oct 2017 9:23 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Sirrah4941 wrote:

Also - the GFV is 24k but thats at the end of the agreement - the current settlement price is going to be around 41k and market value at a quick look on the net is 33k so am i looking at the shortfall coming out of my pocket?!

If £41k is the total repaid after full term that will not apply because you're not going full term.
Your insurers will pay market value, so presumably £33k, and if you offer that as early settlement they will possibly have a 3 months installment clause to pay off early. So hopefully, they'll take 3 months extra and that's all which would be a best case but depends on how much you currently owe, worst case.............who knows. Big Cry

There'll be some pain, there always is, I just hope it doesn't crease you. Thumbs Up
One thing is for certain, worrying about it won't help the situation. Wink
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #187205124th Oct 2017 10:18 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Narpy is right. Worry won't solve anything, so try not to let it get to you and remember, however things turn out, eventually all it'll be is a conversation topic in the future.

There are a number of ways forward. Firstly, see what your insurance say about it. Secondly, see if the criminal court will award compensation (but if they are low life dole-ites, don't bank on that much), you could investigate the possibility of suing them, but again, if they have nothing, there's little point. Another avenue is to see whether the police caused the collision. You say that your car was driven into the police car, but that might not be the whole story. Did the police, in effect cause that to happen to apprehend the occupants of your car? If so, might you have a claim against them? Just a thought.

Post #187206925th Oct 2017 1:07 am
Sirrah4941

Thanks all
I saw the car today - it looks ok considering! the garage are saying it could be repaired and they think the insurance won't write it off - the suspension looks like it has took a hit - the back wheels look out of sync (not sure if its suspension or axle)

Spoke to the insurance today and they have confirmed its RETAIL value not trade so thats a bit more positive (if it was dead) as they are holding forecourt price from 39k-41k

i am now after a disklok and wondered if DISCO forum get any discounts!

Post #187236125th Oct 2017 7:51 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Search on forum ... There was a group buy but you might have missed it. I'm sure it will be repeated soon.

Don't go with the cheaper Streetwize version. Sending mine back as it's too tight a fit and seemingly won't fit at all with steering wheel at anything like straight ahead. 😣

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #187239425th Oct 2017 8:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >