Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Stone chip ricochet's on tailgate when towing offroad
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Stone chip ricochet's on tailgate when towing offroad

We had the opportunity to travel to a little known reserve this past Easter weekend. Seeing as it was quite close to home (650km), and we had the kids with us we decided to take our trailer.
The last 90km to the reserve is fairly rough, stony gravel road, and on a few occasions I heard bangs from the rear of the vehicle, but thought it must be stones bouncing off the inside of the wheel arches and gave it no more thought.
Only when we arrived did I notice that there were a couple of new dings in the tailgate paintwork, and the trailer's front reflectors were completely wiped out.
Obviously the coopers sprayed quite a bit of gravel out the rear of the vehicle, and some of this ricocheted onto the tailgate.
I guess we were lucky the rear window didn't get smashed, judging by the size of the stones I found resting on the rear bumper.

Has anyone out there found a solution for this? ie. some type of net or cover that can be mounted at the rear of the vehicle to deflect stones? Maybe the Aussies - I think you guys tow on the gravel quite a lot?

Post #14704211th Apr 2007 9:44 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The oz spec cars have large rear mud flaps, that tend to act as sand ploughs but are better at stopping dust spray. I wrecked mine rock crwling and decided to modify them.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic9518.html

When I added the rubber replacement it was longer than the original but I have noticed even less dust and spray. This is a simple neat fix but if you want to go out some folks here have one huge insertion rubber flap hanging accross the rear.
This will help stop rocks from being shot out the back but to protect the trailer try a stone guard:

http://www.mrswagman.com.au/camper-trailers/trailer_design.shtml
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #14709511th Apr 2007 11:57 am
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I have Oz spec rear mud flaps. They also stopped lots of dust on the rear window last week, when driving on a forest track. They would stop a lot of stuff coming back at you off the trailer.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #14712011th Apr 2007 1:19 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

My brother-in-law owns a windscreen business out in western NSW and told me, not so long ago, that smashed rear windows were a fairly common occurrence when towing a trailer and a very expensive one at that.

The full body width rubbers do seem to be the best protection, along with stone guards on the trailer.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #14714311th Apr 2007 1:59 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've had the oz rear mudflaps for a few months now, and they make a huge difference to the amount of dust and spray getting onto the back window. Cheaper than the UK type ones too I think. Am also pleased to report that they haven't been cracked yet, after Boughrood, and the Lakes events, as well as my normal offroad work. Smile
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #14714811th Apr 2007 2:07 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks guys for the input. I think by the look of them, we have the Oz style mudflaps already. I will investigate the insertion rubber option - this will certainly stop anything flying out the rear

Post #14715511th Apr 2007 2:24 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Brendan, Did you get anywhere with a group buy for that price?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #14729011th Apr 2007 9:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

I have a stone gaurd deflector on the camper ( as well as the Oz spec flaps) and the tailgate and tailgate window still get hit. the stones apear to rebound off of the foam padding aroung the frame work. next time I use the camper I'm going to try hanging a rubber strip across the bumper and maybe foam used for insulating refridgeration pipes and see how it goes. very unsettling, especially went the stones belt the window

Post #14742012th Apr 2007 11:31 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I had a thick piece of perspex cut to the shape of the back window
then drilled a hole tofit over the rear wiper
stuck velcro on to the rear window and the other side onto the perspex
when i tow off road i put the perspex on (only takes a few minutes)
then take it off when i get back

you have to make sure you use the 3 kg velcro.
the lighter stuff wont hold onto the perspex against the wind resistence

Post #14780513th Apr 2007 5:33 am
Herman

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Tow vehicles with broken rear windows are seen commonly on the road between Walvis Bay & Sossusvlei,
The best fix that I have used in Namibia is a piece of strong "shade net" which is fixed to the rear of the towing vehicle and the front body of the trailer; running underneath the towbar and tow-hitch. The sides of the net should slide freely over elastic straps. It is very easy to remove after unhitching the trailer.

No picture available, as it tends to become frayed and needs to be replaced after a few trips.

Post #14782413th Apr 2007 8:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >