Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Stopping on snow/ice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Stopping on snow/ice

How do you guy's stop the DIII on slipery roads?

I tried the usual way and let the ABS work. As with all other cars I drove with ABS it was disapointing, and find ABS only fine if you need to steer while hitting the breaks.

I also tried to shift down and let ETC do his work, and was happy to find out it works better then hitting the breaks.
 In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #3519430th Dec 2005 11:15 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Best advice it to ensure your running speed is low enough so you don't need to touch the brakes but can use engine braking instead, use the brakes as a last resort or to bring her to a halt after using engine breaking.

Stroke the brakes to keep the vehicle under control. Slow down early and don't swing the D3 round corners.

Use light throttle on corners (and I mean light) try not to coast.

All ABS will do is avoid wheel lock up and allow you to steer (if you have traction that is). It will help to reduce your stopping distance but may well increase it, snow cannot build up in front of the wheels which can assist in slowing you down.

Tread Carefully is the rule.

Never think your invincible because you have a 4x4. The laws of physics still apply !

-s

Post #3519930th Dec 2005 11:30 am
JAY

England 

Agree with the sentiment regarding engine braking as being the best method of retaining control. However, my car tends to disengage drive when the throttle is lifted at low speeds and so I don't have any engine braking. Worse when Cold (happens up to 25mph) but even when warm happens up to around 15-20mph... Reapplying power then leads to thunk as pick up is not smooth (issue noted elsewhere on the site). Been told that this is all a "characteristic" of the auto box. Led to some hairy moments on country lanes covered in ice this week...

Post #3934326th Jan 2006 3:03 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

ABS breaks Evil or Very Mad I have asked for mine to be turned of in previous Disco’s but got told its not possible, and I know its part of the traction control ect.
The safest way to control your speed in mud or snow is to engage hill descent.
That’s what Land Rover told me! Shocked
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #3934526th Jan 2006 3:23 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jay,

Mines a manual so have engine breaking at my finger tips... does the auto in manual override not give you the same control ?

Also remember that too much engine breaking will cause you to slide too.

-s

Post #3934626th Jan 2006 3:24 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

... or dial into the 'grass gravel snow' setting, this should help with the torque converter disengaging Wink

Post #3934726th Jan 2006 3:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

10forcash wrote:
... or dial into the 'grass gravel snow' setting, this should help with the torque converter disengaging Wink

Tried that it helps but not as good as a load of snow or mud pilling up in front of your tyres. Shocked

If you are on a steep down hill approaching a give way I would engage hill decent to kill speed.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #3935426th Jan 2006 3:43 pm
simon.foster

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Ronnie Dale of Skipton Land Rover Experience showed me that if you are heading somewhere with limited breaking because of ABS then turning off the engine kills the ABS. It is quite dramatic but it worked!!! Emergencies only I think.
 Disco 3 TDV6HSE Cairns blue auto
Defender 90 300TDi 1997 

Post #3941426th Jan 2006 8:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JAY

England 

Manual command shift doesn't really add much in normal TR mode in my car (There is a problem with the programming with the auto in my car anyhow) Switching to grass / snow does help but this is a pain to do every time you think you might encounter ice on a back road as obviously it alters other settings too like throttle response. Perhaps by software release 50+ the box programming may be sorted out Very Happy

Post #3941826th Jan 2006 8:22 pm
BN

England 
Re: Stopping on snow/ice

Penguin wrote:
How do you guy's stop the DIII on slipery roads?

I tried the usual way and let the ABS work. As with all other cars I drove with ABS it was disapointing, and find ABS only fine if you need to steer while hitting the breaks.

I also tried to shift down and let ETC do his work, and was happy to find out it works better then hitting the breaks.

ABS with 2.7 tonnes will take for ever to stop if at all. In ice and snow, the eyes and brain with very moderate speed are the best defences. Mechanical devices are basically useless and brakes should never be used.

ABS was designed to assist steering not braking and was developed in 1936 as Aircraft Braking System. It was later developed by BMW, Ford and Mercedes for cars. Commonly called Antilock Braking System or Antiblock in east europe. This was a bad name and should have been called Steering Assist System.

Post #3942926th Jan 2006 8:44 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

All you could ever wish to know about ABS is here Wink

On topic interest is the VW Golf test data by the Finnish magazine. Have a look Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #3943026th Jan 2006 8:50 pm
BN

England 

Yes, but I didn't need to look at that boss, been teaching it for years and demoing it on trucks for the last 10 years with the oil companies. I was spot on though wasn't I even with the 'antiblock' Wink

Just think that when you are driving a car, you have 4 size 44 (metric) mens shoe soles on the ground. That is not a lot of contact with the ground. Therefore if you cannot stand on ice, how do you think you can stop at any speed over 5 MPH ?

Post #3943226th Jan 2006 9:04 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I thought Aston Martin developed the first automotive Anti lock brake for the DB5? If I remember correctly it was a Dunlop system branded the "Maxaret" system. All hydraulicly operated and utilising the momentum in a small flywheel to sense the wheel decellerating to quickly.

A similar system, but on a larger scale was also used on the De-havilland Comet 4, and is still in use today on the RAF AVRO Nimrod MR2.

Post #3944526th Jan 2006 9:38 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Ah, just read your link Martin, nearly right! Embarassed Jensen is nearly Aston is'nt it Wink

Post #3944626th Jan 2006 9:40 pm
Wineman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Back on the topic...had the experience of driving on pure ice over New Year at Disneyland Paris! Came back to the car in the afternoon and the car was covered in a thick layer of ice. Needed to use the kids push chair to stop falling over myself. It took at least 20mins for the car to melt the ice of front and back windshield. Anyway, engaged mud/snow and was amazed how much traction I had on my 19in Scropions. Likewise, breaking was not a good idea. As long as I used engine breaking I had complete control and confidence. Was able to pass every other vehicle on the road including a Toureg which was slipping everywhich way!
 2017 Disco5 First Edition(On Order)
2013 Disco4 HSE Luxury
2012 Disco4 HSE
2005 Disco03 TDV6 HSE
2002 Disco02 TD5 ES
1987 Defender 90(MOD)
2002 Fendt 180 Tractor
1950 Massey Ferguson Tractor 

Post #3952227th Jan 2006 10:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to: