Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Streetwise, what to do!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Streetwise, what to do!

This is the genuine text from this weeks HSE toolbox talk at work as to official company policy for dealing with certain situations Thumbs Up

Below are some tips to refresh your memory with what to do in an emergency situation.

1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do : The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to your assailant, use it!

2. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you... Chances are that the robber is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!

3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and wave like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This will help even if you are unable to stick your arm through the opening as the police will stop the vehicle with a taillight out to investigate. This has saved lives.

4. Don’t get a tendency to get into your car after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit to do your chequebook, or make a list, etc.) The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for the predator to get in on the passenger side, put a gun/knife to your head, and tell you where to go. Remember, as soon as you get into the car, lock the doors and leave.

If someone is in the car with a gun or knife DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead, gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you and chances are the robber will not have thought of putting his seatbelt on. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run.

5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:

A) Be aware: look around you. Look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.

B) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the person is attempting to get into their car.

C) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If someone is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.

6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs if you are alone. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!

7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; and even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. It is best to run preferably in a zig -zag pattern!

8. Women are more likely to be sympathetic and helpful when approached for assistance. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked 'for help' getting into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.

9. Another Safety Point: A Crying Baby theory was mentioned on America's Most Wanted when they profiled the serial killer in Louisiana. A lady heard a crying baby on her porch and she called the police. The police told her not to open the door. The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The police had sent a unit to investigate and it was suspected that a serial killer has had a baby's cry recorded and used it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. It had not been verified, but the police had several calls by women saying that they hear baby's cries outside their doors when they're home alone at night.
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #4762604th Jun 2009 6:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TSR2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

sh Censored t my memory is bad enough how am I gonna remember all that. Big Cry Big Cry

I think I will just have to put my hands up and give them everything.......That's easier to remember Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Trev. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #4762824th Jun 2009 7:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Thats nothing - went into the head office for the first time in two weeks yesterday and theres dispensers of antiseptic gell on the entrance to every floor Rolling Eyes

Haven't seen anybody use em yet Confused

Post #4762844th Jun 2009 7:15 pm
SN

same at our place too Rolling Eyes
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4762904th Jun 2009 7:30 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You dont need to remember any of it, if you feel threatened in any way, hit 1st, hit hard, and when down make sure they dont get up

Works/worked for me.........................too many people worry about the consequences and no enough turn the table and the would be attacker. Just go for it, simple as that

Post #4763084th Jun 2009 8:21 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

We have antiseptic mouthwash as well as the antiseptic gel.... Oh and new 'tissue bins' so we dont cross contaminate.....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #4763634th Jun 2009 9:16 pm
TSR2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks Mac I can remember that. Can I tell the courts that you told me to do it???? Whistle Whistle Whistle

Trev. Thumbs Up

Post #4764334th Jun 2009 10:26 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Not so sure about that advice Mac, a good friend of mine caught a scrote breaking into his VW Golf, he took him to task, and gave the little git a good hiding. The police came, and my friend was arrested and charged with assault. The little git got a caution because all he had done was break the window.

My friend lost his job because of this. It might feel good at the time, but its not worth it.

Post #4764845th Jun 2009 12:59 am
MacLeod 313

Yep, been there too. A Kosovan illeagal took an attracttion to my mobile 2 weeks after leaving my Regiment, his mistake No1, jumped me and tried to wrestle the mobile outta me hands. I thought he took a punch but it was a blade and slashed my face.

I managed to disarm him, and Whistle somehow the said blade ended in his thigh. A few hours later we ended in the same hospital where I kicked off when he verbally abused the nurse treating him

Post #4764925th Jun 2009 5:39 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

You are such a bully mac Rolling Eyes ...why didn't you do the decent thing and just give him the phone? Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4765005th Jun 2009 7:33 am
MacLeod 313

Why should I, too many people put their faith in the legal/law system, and he would have got off. In the end I dished out my jury and dealt with it.

This country has ethniclly changed, some things for good, and some bad. Anybody crosses Mac, colour and religion isn't an issue, it's just try n hurt or abuse me, swmbo, daughter I would rather do porridge than turn away.

It's how I live, IDGAF, if you don't like me, move on, pass a comment and I hear it I certainly will put them on their Censored Laughing Laughing

Post #4765025th Jun 2009 8:04 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

OOoooo such violence ...I always wondered why you were so touchy Rolling with laughter
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4765195th Jun 2009 8:59 am
MacLeod 313

Not touchy Rich, just bemused as to where this country is heading. When we were younger I would expect a slap from someone I was cheeky too, the cane at school, coppers were 6ft plus that scared the crap out of us and were always on the beat.

This country has lost it's Englishness, home is my castle, tread over that line and yes, I will definately do a few years

Post #4765245th Jun 2009 9:07 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Well I'm ready for the next SE meet Whistle

I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #4765295th Jun 2009 9:12 am
Barry C-All

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

The law and the legal system need overhauling to favour the victim, regardles of what he may do to the assailant, The police arn't interested in burglars etc, Women at all times, and anyone over 60 should be allowed to carry a Tazer or a can of mace or similar Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Post #4765405th Jun 2009 9:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >