Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Stripped Brake Union for front brake pipe - body off job?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Russellg

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4
Stripped Brake Union for front brake pipe - body off job?

Oh dear.

Looks like I have a partially stripped thread on the brake pipe union, front, offside right (RHD drivers side).

It the union on the hard pipe that screws into the flexible rubber brake hose to the caliper.

Its was a little stiff to remove, but not extreme though.

Surely this is not a body off job to replace that pipe, or is it!?

LR052201 (EH222C292BC) Tube - Brake

Post #234821819th Sep 2023 7:04 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

No , no brake pipe replacment is body off. Just get somebody with the right gear and make a small extension joint, you could buy a on car flaring tool from the bay of E and do it yourself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314828063860?ha...UPSXhMfVYg

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #234822919th Sep 2023 8:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russellg

Thanks Flack,

The ironic thing is I'm only changing the rubber hoses as the system is already drained while I swap out the back pipes, the hoses themselves were actually in decent condition too!

I’ll pop off the arch liner this evening and get a better look at the access.

I generally like to minimise unnecessary joins - I’m hoping that because the front right pipe is the shortest and very close the the ABS pump I might be able to replace that length in its entirety. If not it’s good to know that there should be enough space to pop an join in.

I’ll keep you posted and take some pics.

Thanks again,

Russell

Post #234823019th Sep 2023 9:09 am
Russellg

Just an update on the brake union,

With a view to swapping out the pipe as a single continuous length I started pulling out the battery box, Aux batt, DC/DC converter and brackets etc, but after tracing the pipe from the ABS pump down behind bulkhead I determined that it’s not really an option to replace in situ.

So, in line with @Flack 's recommendation, I manoeuvred the end of the of pipe out from the wheel arch to add a short C/N extension, but unfortunately my SP tool was just a bit too big to flare the end on the car (I ‘could’ have made it work but I wanted to aviold as much as possible unnecessarily bending of the OEM steel pipe).

Luckily I had a smaller tool to hand that I used to use as a boy racer - it's had some action over the years and I’ve had some challanges with it and steel pipe before but it actually formed the flare quite well on the D4 steel pipe, probaby helped by the massive wheel arches and easy access.

I'm still not sure why the fitting stripped on removal, I've never had an issue before on a newish car like this, and the other 7 identical unions on the car were removed without any trouble.

Looking the stripped fitting a bit closer I probably could have salvaged it with a M10x1.0 die, but I don’t have one of them in my Aldi Tap & Die set plus I’d never actually be happy with it. If I ever get the opportunity I will certainly swap out that pipe with a continuous length though.....

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #234835020th Sep 2023 7:12 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thats the trouble with most of the metal on these things it made of chinesium soft crap, had to do this a lot over the years especially on the rear of the car's. Good job ..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #234836420th Sep 2023 8:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >