Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Stuck in France - Transmission fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mirror88

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
Stuck in France - Transmission fault

Hi all, just wandered if anyone could assist and give me some idea of what to do. My brother in law was driving my D3 back to the UK yesterday for me from France when after only an hour or so the car started to smoke at the rear when driving up a hill, acceleratingn etc - on motorway. It hasnt noticeably smoked before. He then turned round back to the Chalet and just before he got back (nearly 2 hrs driving now) the following fault appeared on the dash:- transmission fault, limited gears available. (auto trasmission has a fault). Ill try and find out the colour of the smoke and i dont think his acceleration dropped too much but im guessing ill have to take it into the Swiss stealers so wandered if you could give me some best and worse case scenarios????
Thanks
 2011 Discovery 4 HSE  
Post #6686736th Jul 2010 9:10 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Stuck in France - Transmission fault

danbrier wrote:
the car started to smoke at the rear when driving up a hill, acceleratingn etc - on motorway.

Sounds like a sticking rear brake (or handbrake) Question

The only thing that sounds strange is that I'm not sure if this would actually give you a transmission error though??
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6686776th Jul 2010 9:17 am
mirror88

Additional info

Just thought it worth adding that for the previous couple of weeks when keeping a constant accelerator level the revs were fluctuating slightly with the engine giving a slight whirring noise!
Thanks for the ifo PaulP
 2011 Discovery 4 HSE  
Post #6686826th Jul 2010 9:29 am
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My Dad's 05 FFRR had the same transmission fault many times. Turning it off and back on again sorted it out. I spoke to Land Rover who said it could be a battery related problem if the battery was low (which ours wasn't). touch wood, since they replaced a small part for the air suspension the car has been fine ever since!

If it was a sticking caliper then the wheel where the caliper was stuck would be boiling hot and the disc may have changed colour.

fingers crossed for you though.

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #6687646th Jul 2010 12:04 pm
mirror88

Cheers for the info Alex, did you also see the smoke or just the electronic problem? Thanks
 2011 Discovery 4 HSE  
Post #6687706th Jul 2010 12:06 pm
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

just the dash warning and the annoying bonging noise. Depending on how long ago your brother stopped driving, if he puts his hand close to the wheels and can feel heat from one wheel in particular, then it is probably that wheel that has a sticking caliper. I have had a sticknig caliper before on an old BMW and it caused a judder whilst driving, although not sure it would in a D3 due to the weight of it.

be interested to know what the smoke relates to though

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #6687856th Jul 2010 12:27 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry to seem opportunistic, but it has to be said that this really does sound like a case where having a faultmate FCR would be worth its weight in Gold Whistle Whistle

Post #6689626th Jul 2010 7:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mirror88

UPDATE

OK, left it for 24hrs and my dad turned it on yesterday (im back in Eng) and it started fine with no faults on the dash. He has been driving it - only locally - for the past 24hrs and had no problems since then. I want to bring it back to the UK (8 hr drive through france) anyone got any suggestions whether ill ruin the car or not by trying this? Is there any easy way to see if the caliper is stuck on - shall i take the wheels off and would i be able to see? Any help as always would be appreciated... the smoke concerns me a bit! Thanks
 2011 Discovery 4 HSE  
Post #6693157th Jul 2010 2:15 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: UPDATE

danbrier wrote:
Is there any easy way to see if the caliper is stuck on

take it for a short drive, stop and feel the wheels. If a caliper is stuck, the wheel should get hot (not warm).
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #6693187th Jul 2010 2:30 pm
mirror88

OK, asked my dad to do short drive, no calipers appear to be stuck on. Spoke to my brother in law again (who was driving it originally) and he said the smoke was obvious when changing gear - hope this doesnt mean a new gearbox!

Anyways, im going to try and get it back to England in the next few weeks (or atleast get the tow truck if all else fails!) Can anyone reccomend (including their own) services who could possibly look at this for me, possibly give it a service etc esp anyone who also has the capability to adjust the CCF files on the car? Thanks, Dan.
PS Ill be travelling between Dover - Milton Keynes - Leeds but location is less important for me.
 2011 Discovery 4 HSE  
Post #6697388th Jul 2010 2:18 pm
4-Tech

United Kingdom 

Hi,
We`re at Wisbech, North Cambs. Not too far off your main route, have full diagnostic capabilities. Plus if it is transmission we may be able to help it feel better with a flush!

Post #6701969th Jul 2010 7:41 pm
mirror88

WHAT TO DO?

Am now back in France in order to drive the car back to the UK on Wed... This is what I have managed to get the car to do:-

1) Drove off my drive this morning straight onto the main road,depressed acceleratot straight to the floor and got a misty covering behind me - like a haze on a hot day. Did this a few times then within about one minute of doing this it turned into black smoke from the rear 2 exhausts. F appeared on the display and "TRANSMISSION FAULT LIMITED GEARS AVAILABLE" was also displayed and ironically i had limited use of the gears! So, depressing accelerator straight to the floor causes black smoke to come out of both the exhausts simultaneously and equally. Not enough to kill everyone behind me but enough to know its not right. Turning engine on and off again resets the fault on the dash and allows use of full gears

Any ideas on what i can do to fix it, can i drive it back - albeit slowly - from France without disasterous effects? My plan is to take it to the Land Rover dealers tomorow in Switzerland to see if they can sort it but am sceptical of what they might tell me needs replacing!

Does it sound like a new gearbox etc? Its deffo not any sticking calipers.
 2011 Discovery 4 HSE  
Post #67056111th Jul 2010 12:47 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have you checked the gearbox fluid level? Does it clunk more than it used to when you put it in drive?

It sounds like there is either an under fueling caused by possibly dodgy fuel filter or by a split intercooler hose or a delamninated intercooler hose.
Over fuelling cause by dodgy injector possibly.

Have you looked underneath to see any large oil leaks, check in the engine bay for oil or diesel spray.

If you accelerate slowly, will it let you get up to say 50 or 60?

That might be your only option to get it home.

I assume when you switch off & then startup again, that the transmission fault goes?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #67057011th Jul 2010 1:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mirror88

Hi, thanks for this, really appreciated. Nope, not checked gearbox fluid levels - will search where this is and do it now. Not noticed any difference in gear changes. No oil leaks to floor and none visible in engine. Yes, on switching off and on the fault is reset... Thank you
 2011 Discovery 4 HSE  
Post #67057611th Jul 2010 1:12 pm
CraigP

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Hi danbrier

I do not want to hi jack your post but had something similar 2 or 3 weeks ago. Travelling along well loaded up inside and pulling a boat when we hit a pot hole in the road this jolted the car and a message came up saying something about the suspension I carried on as not convenient to stop at that point but quite soon after that black smoke could be seen from the rear of the car. I couldn’t see anything wrong I lifted the suspension up and down no problems set off no smoke everything fine. I was going to raise it on this forum but didn’t until now.

I am now getting to my point I came to the conclusion that when the suspension fault came in the engine management unit switched to a different algorithm i.e. limp mode causing the black smoke and it’s possible yours is doing the same when the gearbox fault comes in.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can confirm if this is possible.

Craig

Post #67060611th Jul 2010 2:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >