DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Stupid question probably --- Rear Discs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Ali1971

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

eightfoot wrote:
Ali1971 wrote:
Yep but without the tool........ so really if I get it in neutral with the red lever then follow Bodsys guide from there? Rather than yank the cable ?

am I missing something here ? if you turn the ignition on and select neutral leave the ignition on and adjust your handbrake ??

Dont think you can do that with out the engine running ? Question switch the engine off it defaults to Park ?? From what I’m reading

Post #20247182nd Feb 2019 1:05 pm
Ali1971

Gonna have another go tomorrow, you need both wheels off the ground to able to turn the disc round to line up the whole Embarassed got a set of axle stands which should hold the weight . Just have to persevere with supplied wheel jack. ( my trolley jack is just not suitable for lifting)

Post #20248202nd Feb 2019 5:19 pm
Bardley

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have a feeling you are misunderstanding what's being said here.
The gearbox, an eight speed, will need to be put into neutral in order to allow the wheels to turn while working on the rear discs.
As advised, this can be done under the cupholders.
The cable that you are referring to is the emergency release cable for the EPB. You do not need to use this when wrking on the brakes.

The EPB should be put into service mode using a suitable tool, such as the GAPII.
This will slacken the cables to allow easier removal of discs.
You may get the discs off if the EPB is left in the off position when you switch the engine off.
To adjust up the shoes once discs are refitted Bodsy's manual is a good source. Follow the guide not forgetting the release of the allen screw and tapping the drum area. This is seemingly missed quite often, and can cause massive issues.
 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #20248442nd Feb 2019 6:54 pm
Ali1971

I thought I had put it into Neutral using that method?? However it maybe that I never! In fact I had another play with it and it flashed at N , so I never actually had it in neutral to start with. I don’t have a ID Tool so was hoping to use Bodsy guide for putting it into service mode.? I’m not one for throwing in the towel , brakes are never usually hard but EPBs are new to me Wink

Assuming I do all this and have it setup , I don’t have to have both wheels off the ground and can indeed do one side at a time. Trust

Post #20248592nd Feb 2019 7:31 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I am sure if you hold the park brake down(off) for 10 seconds while the engine is switched off the park brake will not operate, then as instructed pull the fuse for safety. Slacken the adjuster screw in the drums to maximum off otherwise you will have problems getting the drums over the lip that has been created with wear.
Once you have done one you will realise how simple they are compared to many other designs Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20248862nd Feb 2019 8:31 pm
Ali1971

Well got the epb in service mode eventually but can I get the disc off can i Censored ! Ratchet slacked to the max and still not coming off?? Putting it bck together . Might have to throw the towel in after all!! Disappointed:-(

Ok managed to get the other side off not too dirty , cleaned up and adjusted. Fault still on it though! I wonder if the actuator thing is playing up? If so that’s spendy !! Think it might need to go into a garage ,won’t pass the MOT if it’s not fixed !

Of course it might just need the fault cleared now ?? Still strange , it works most of the time and releases. It’s not noisy ? However driving along it flashes up park brake fault and inhibits it. Have to switch engine off and restart ?

Post #20269089th Feb 2019 12:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >