Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

From the sublime to errr, the less than sublime.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
oaktree

Scotland 
From the sublime to errr, the less than sublime.

Not sure if this will be interesting to anyone, but my '54 V8 SE auto has been in the dealer for recall work and some extras, and I've had an '06 base 7 seat TDV6 manual as a courtesy car, so I thought I'd offer some observations on the differences....and yes, there are some big differences Wink
First, pleasant surprises....I am, and have always been, a petrolhead, not a smogmaster, and tend to avoid diesel by choice, but this engine was seriously impressive - smooth, torquey and fast. Certainly an adequate substitute for the V8 Shocked The ride was slightly sharper than the V8 too, with less lean in the corners, but it lacked the smooth rolling over all surfaces that the V8 is so good at, with a few crashes over the bigger holes that the V8 would have floated over. Maybe the tweaks and changes (if any) between a 54 and an 06 Question However, I did miss the instant push of power from the normally aspirated eight, as the turbo unit always felt as if it was trying to catch up with the input from my right foot.
Did I miss the toys on the SE? Surprisingly not, the only one I really missed was the PDC as reversing a vehicle this big, takes skill and care that sometimes I don't have the time to spend. It still has climate, electric windows and mirrors etc etc, so for everyday driving, I didn't miss the rest as much as I expected.
It also made a change to see a 2 at the beginning of the average mpg readout Evil or Very Mad
So, would I swop? This is where heart over-ruled head Confused Maybe it is my personal prejudice, but I could still hear the diesel rattle, quiet though this engine is in comparison to some. I also got caught out several times off boost - my own lack of skill, I know - but when the turbo is not on song, it felt a bit of a slug. Also, the manual gearbox is just not as clever as the auto (more like the operator, really Embarassed ) and could sometimes be a bit reluctant to engage third, preferring fifth.
But, by far the biggest problem were those seats - as an ex-rugby playing number 8, I'm 6'7" and brick outhouse, and I simply could not get comfortable - the SE seats were in a different league.

So to the overall verdict. (Cue drumroll Very Happy).
For a confimed V8 fan, the TDV6 is the closest I have come to giving in to the charms of 28 mpg, but in the end I couldn't do it, the V8 is just sooo good. If it had swung the other way (ooer) it would have had to be an SE or above, because those seats would have crippled me in a few days.

Hope that was useful for someone.

Jon

Post #6335913th Jun 2006 7:34 am
oaktree

Scotland 

Is there a tumbleweed icon available? Big Cry

Post #6361114th Jun 2006 1:40 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

Oaktree - good post and thanks for the input.
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #6361714th Jun 2006 2:23 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Most of us want, but, can't afford to run a V8..........so thanks for rubbing it in Oaktree Thumbs Up

Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6362214th Jun 2006 2:29 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

He's probably got his own pipeline from an oil rig out there somewhere, I couldn't even dream about running a V8.

Post #6362814th Jun 2006 2:38 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Hi Oaktree (Fit like min?) Wink

Interesting reading...... I wonder if the same sentiments would be echoed on a like-for-like basis. Take a test drive in an 06MY SE TDV6 Auto and I think you may be swayed. Shocked I used to have an ES V8 and I certainly wouldn't swap for it now. 8)

If you would like to 'line them up' on the A90 some quiet evening then a wager may be called for..... Very Happy

BTW, At which point do I have to tell you about my Turbochip Wink Very Happy

Post #6375814th Jun 2006 9:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

JMC wrote:
BTW, At which point do I have to tell you about my Turbochip Wink Very Happy

Is that the same Turbochip that produces more black smoke than the Buncefield fire out the back of the motor ....... Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6377614th Jun 2006 11:00 pm
Jamo

Australia 
Re: From the sublime to errr, the less than sublime.

oaktree wrote:
my '54 V8 SE auto

Wow, a 1954 model!! Shocked Very Happy

Over 50 years later and the japs still haven't caught up! Wink
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #6378815th Jun 2006 2:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ken

dickgriff wrote:

Is that the same Turbochip that produces more black smoke than the Buncefield fire out the back of the motor ....... Wink

Why do you think TC causes a little smoke DG

Post #6380015th Jun 2006 7:13 am
oaktree

Scotland 

Well thankee kindly for thy replies.....

JMC - you're on......I'll bet in Sport mode, turbochip or no turbochip, you'll still be hearing the rumble from my exhaust Very Happy But not on the A90 - it would take too long to find a stretch that wasn't on film Evil or Very Mad And we'd have to make it a quarter mile sprint, as anything longer and I'll be needing more fuel...... Wink

Too far from my pipeline, you see DSL Shocked

Anyway, DG and DSL, you'll all have the last laugh when it comes to selling time - I have a funny feeling I will be keeping this one for a long, long time Embarassed

Jon

Post #6380115th Jun 2006 7:15 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Ken2463 wrote:
dickgriff wrote:

Why do you think TC causes a little smoke DG

Because my motor was cloaked by your 'smokefest' when following you down the A1 Ken Wink
Post #6381615th Jun 2006 9:19 am
Ken

Ahh but it wasn't chipped it was between chips Very Happy All sorted now no soot!

Thanks Chris Is it possible to have a demi chip Question

Post #6381715th Jun 2006 9:22 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Ken2463 wrote:
Ahh but it wasn't chipped it was between chips Very Happy All sorted now no soot!

Thanks Chris Is it possible to have a demi chip Question

So if it was between chips does that mean that the engine was displaying some kind of 'injury' smoke as a result of being chipped previously??
Post #6381915th Jun 2006 9:29 am
Ken

Not sure but there is a noticeable reduction in smoke (ie I can see in my rear view mirror)

I'm sure it will puff a small amount but nothing like at the weekend

Post #6382115th Jun 2006 9:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >