Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Successful retrofit install Carplay - 2013 LR4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kwcooper

United States 2013 LR4 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackLR4
Successful retrofit install Carplay - 2013 LR4

(After Posting this, I saw a much better post on this same topic, on the next page)
After researching and watching the experiences of some users on other forum websites, I plunged into the "NaviPlus" Carplay kit from Australia.

The install took 2-3 hours and is not for the faint of heart, but it works! The kit includes all the necessary wiring harnesses and two boxes (one is a "Netro" Android computer thingy, and the other is a video processor). The kit piggy-backs into the power supply of the factory video screen and then takes over your built-in navigation to run Apple's Carplay. But you have to agree that being able to use either Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze is leaps better than the built-in Land Rover navigation. You have to set your music mode to "AUX" and access the AUX port in the rear of the center console to send the audio. You also have to install a little external mic, which I did up through the A-pillar and under the edge of the headliner to mounted and tucked away nicely by the rear-view mirror. When finished, you still have a factory perfect looking install that doesn't look "rigged". If you don't want to run the system, you can still bluetooth your phone for audio and telephone, you just don't invoke the CarPlay by not hitting the "Navigation" button on the screen and use the system as you always have.

The installation instructions are a little spartan, and you have to refer to a couple YouTube videos of guys taking apart the lower and upper mid-consoles, but the guys at Naviplus are incredibly helpful and respond almost instantaneously to e-mail questions (despite the international time difference). We were actually e-mailing back and forth during my install. I really love having the ability to plug my iPhone into the USB Lightning cable and stashing into my middle console to remove any temptation of looking at the phone while driving. "Hey Siri" works and its truly a handsfree experience.

Happy to discuss the details of the install if anyone is interested. I'm considering buying another kit to install on our other vehicle - 2012 LR4...

Sorry, these pictures are horrible...

Arkansas, USA
2007 LR3 SE Black (used to be mine, now son's)
2012 LR4 HSE White (hers)
2013 LR4 HSE Lux (mine) 

Post #203186725th Feb 2019 8:16 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Good post. Oddly I was wondering about this today. I might take a deeper look. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #203191825th Feb 2019 10:55 pm
dgarside

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

How is the audio quality and the screen resolution using the LR screen?

Any hold ups or slow operation when using the Car Play functions, was a bit slow when I had a Pioner unit with it on?

Would really like it if useable.

Cheers
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Spare Wheel Protector
RLD Sump Protector
ProSpeed Compressor Cover
TPMS Retrofit
Range Rover Digital Dash Upgrade
Tesla Style Android Screen Upgrade 

Post #203225326th Feb 2019 11:35 pm
kwcooper

United States 2013 LR4 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackLR4

Its very usable... The audio quality is limited to the quality of the AUX input, which as you well know in LR3's and LR4's does not match the volume of the other audio modes. I have to turn it up about 40% louder and this brings in some slight alternator noise... not very bad at all, but if you're an audiophile/purist, you will notice it. I can say that it doesn't bother me enough to not really like the kit. I've tried an inline noise filter, but it degraded the bass and mid-tones so badly that I'd rather not have it connected.

For the screen quality question, I've got a modern comparison in my wife's 2019 Mercedes GLC-300. It has Carplay and a bright, big video screen with wonderful contrast and resolution. The factory 2013 Land Rover navigation screen, by comparison, is smaller, lower contrast and resolution. But strangely, the Mercedes isn't touch-screen and is fiddly and strange to navigate with the scrolling hand-dial down on the console. I much prefer the touch-screen functionality of the "rigged" Carplay on the smaller factory Land Rover screen... Yet, the interface is very responsive and has nearly the same reaction time as the Carplay in the Mercedes.

In the Land Rover retrofit, "Hey Siri" works to bring up the Siri animation and voice through Carplay, which I haven't seen happen in modern Carplay systems without hitting the voice button on the steering wheel or little white circular icon on the Carplay home screen (this button works in the LR as well). In the Land Rover, the voice button on the steering wheel is still connected to the Land Rover's Voice Command Menu (which I've never used!).

I'm deep into the Apple ecosystem so this is a natural extension of this for me, but its a personal decision to spend this much money and dig deep into the dash of your Land Rover, but for me it has breathed new life into my 6 year old LR4 entertainment and navigation experience, not to mention the safety it offers me, stashing my phone into the console and using voice for nearly everything.

Arkansas, USA
2007 LR3 SE Black (used to be mine, now son's)
2012 LR4 HSE White (hers)
2013 LR4 HSE Lux (mine) 

Post #203228027th Feb 2019 3:44 am
dgarside

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Thanks, might have to invest in this, really used CarPlay a lot in my last few cars both in built and retro fit.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Spare Wheel Protector
RLD Sump Protector
ProSpeed Compressor Cover
TPMS Retrofit
Range Rover Digital Dash Upgrade
Tesla Style Android Screen Upgrade 

Post #203230827th Feb 2019 9:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >