Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Sunroof drain replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MatelotBoy1

Netherlands 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4
Sunroof drain replacement

So, it's finally happened, passenger footwell full of water as a result of the sunroof drain pipe perishing at the one way valve where it exits the bulkhead. Now, how on earth are you supposed to fix it? I've looked behind the glove box only to be confronted by fuse boxes and wires, no sign of the drain tube no matter how I conorted myself... I am truly puzzled! Internet searches have not turned anything up either, at least not for that side (typically, the driver's side is relatively accessible).Any ideas folks?

Post #224908230th Aug 2021 5:38 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You have to remove the fuse box (bcm unit) to gain access.
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #224908830th Aug 2021 6:20 pm
Sea Raider

Good luck, however you'd be well doing the 4 of them, start with the other 3 easy ones prior to the one behind the glove box, I ended up taking the wing off as well

Theres a how to in the wiki

Post #224909030th Aug 2021 6:35 pm
Sea Raider

Enjoy -

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic22757.html

Post #224909230th Aug 2021 6:37 pm
MatelotBoy1

Thanks all, I had a sneaky feeling I'd have to remove the fuse board.. From what I have read it's a real PITA to put the connectors back in. One for the weekend... Will keep you posted. In the meantime, I have sealed the sunroof with clear tape! I might go the whe hoh and seal it on with bathroom sealant 😂😂😂

Post #224909330th Aug 2021 6:44 pm
MatelotBoy1

Sunroof drain replacement - easy fix!

So, I managed to replace the perished drain pipe on the near (passenger) side of the car without having to resort to removing the fuse panel behind the glove box. Fist off, I will confess that I have not replaced the tube with a factory part but instead opted to use 12mm clear pvc tubing (the internal diameter of the tube is 10mm) and of course this means no non return valve, which in my opinion is redundant anyway... How deep are you wading if water goes up that tube and comes out in the sunroof gutter?!
The tricky bit of the whole operation was always going to be threading the new tube through the hole in the wing behind the vent and fishing it out higher up inside the cabin in the A pillar where the air bag and existing tubes and wires run. I took the bd step of removing the old tube (pulled out dead easy, valve and all) then comes the genius part...i used a bike cable (I suppose you could use that net curtain wire just as well) and threaded from the outside, upwards and hoped for the best. Thankfully, it easily made its way into the pillar area past the fuse box and snakes wedding of wires to a point where I was able to grab it and pull through. That done, I used the rigid nature of the cable to thread the pvc pipe (see picture attached) over it into place where again, I could pull it through to connect to the spout in the sunroof. Pull out the cable, cut pvc pipe to suit desired length and put all the trim back, boom! I've attached some pictures to explain if you click on the 'gallery' button...

Post #22498315th Sep 2021 2:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >