Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Suspect electrical fault - multiple messages intermittently
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dan t p

United Kingdom 
Suspect electrical fault - multiple messages intermittently

Hi, bit of a long story but I can do with some help!

The current situation is the discovery 4 will bring up warning lights and messages intermittently. I've been trying to narrow down the potential causes so there's a bit of a story (sorry)

I've had the car 6 months and it's blown 4 headlight bulbs (halogen)
The last time the bulb was changed, i started the car after a few hours and the headlights flickered, then the bulb I hadn't changed went out. After a mile or 2 it came back on.
A bit further down the road the car brought up 'restricted performance'. After an hour in a carpark I started the car and all was ok. I tried the obd diagnostics and there were no faults showing.
I had a look around the engine bay for wiring issues and tested the battery and alternator but all ok with those, I did notice the bottom crank pulley was wobbling so, jumped to the conclusion the pulley bonding had failed and allowed it to slip and bring up a fault. Took the car in and had it changed along with a check over and everything seemed ok. The car was driven for 30 minutes and no fault found.
I drove the car this morning without issue, however this evening I set off from work and immediately got restricted performance. I turned everything off and restarted without an issue.
Later this evening I took the car out, stopped and started a couple of times and got gearbox fault, along with several other messages. The car stuck in gear, the suspension lowered and locked and I lost brake assist and stability control. Parked the car up at home and left it 10 minutes. Restarted and all but the engine management light had gone. Plugged my obd reader in and got U0001 fault code. I believe this is a Comms fault on the can bus and related to the front lighting control module.
For those far more knowledgeable than me, does that all make sense and point to a faulty HCM or an I missing something else?
My logic is it seems to only go in to fault at dusk onwards when the lights would turn on.
My only last bit of fault finding is to leave the lights in the off position tomorrow morning and drive to work and see if it faults. Hopefully it won't!

Other things done and checked have been MAP cleaned, battery charged (but new at purchase).

The cars driving me insane, but hopefully this is the root cause.
If it is likely that the HCM is the fault, firstly do the halogen light Discovery's have them (it would fit me if I'd got it wrong!) And secondly where is it?

Last edited by Dan t p on 22nd Feb 2018 8:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #191775122nd Feb 2018 8:55 pm
Sea Raider

Firstly, when you say OBD reader, what one do you refer to, is this just a generic one or a dedicated one purpose built for your land Rover?

Post #191775322nd Feb 2018 8:58 pm
Dan t p

United Kingdom 

It's just a generic, but the autologic couldn't find any codes either

Post #191775422nd Feb 2018 8:58 pm
Sea Raider

I would suggest that you get a hold of one designed specifically for your Disco, without you won't be able to tell which codes are being thrown up

GAP IID BT is the preferred choice, costly but saves guddling about in the dark with one hand tied behind your back.

Post #191775522nd Feb 2018 9:00 pm
Sea Raider

Post up a request for someone on here with an IID to see if they are close enough to you.
Although the IID is VIN locked it does have the capability to read and clear codes from other like vehicles.

Post #191776022nd Feb 2018 9:03 pm
Dan t p

United Kingdom 

I appreciate that the LR specific readers are far better but the code is the code after all.
If I can't get any further I'll take it to LR when I get a chance, but given the logic in the fault finding I'd rather not just stop using logic and wait to use a code reader. Particularly as the fault clears, and as many have commented on the forum, LR can't find a fault if it's not standing.

Edit - apologies, if I had access to the last 2 digits that don't show on the generic but seem to on the IID then I'd know for sure if it was the HCM or another bus feed causing the fault code.

Post #191776322nd Feb 2018 9:06 pm
Sea Raider

Have you seen this

few pointers for the code

https://www.troublecodes.net/ucodes/u0001/

Post #191779122nd Feb 2018 9:42 pm
Dan t p

United Kingdom 

Just had a read. I think it backs up the HCM theory, but has given me plenty of other bits to check if tomorrow's 'don't turn the lights on' trial fails.

Post #191781922nd Feb 2018 10:15 pm
Dan t p

United Kingdom 

Driven to work, lights off, no issues.

Post #191787123rd Feb 2018 8:28 am
SJT

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had headlamps that were constantly flickering until recently, it was driving me nuts! My local indi changed the battery and its all been perfect since!! Lovely...

The downside is that the stop/start is now working too. Something new to drive me nuts I suppose!
 Current - 2016 Commercial SE
Gone - 2014 Commercial XS
Gone - 2015 SE Tech
Gone - 2000 Td5
Gone - 1990 V8 3 door - What a machine! 

Post #191787323rd Feb 2018 8:42 am
Dan t p

United Kingdom 

I'd have loved a battery change, unfortunately it was brand new 6 month ago, sits at 13.4v and charges at 14.8v. so alternator and battery seem good.

Post #191787823rd Feb 2018 9:20 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >