Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Suspension Amber warning light .
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
fbscotland

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Suspension Amber warning light .

Can anyone advise me of which pressure sensor measures pressure rise from air pump to reservoir? I have the amber suspension warning light which comes on after around a minute after starting a journey.
I have tried fully overhauling the Hitachi air pump, no improvement, fitting a new Hitachi replacement pump, pump relay and re flashing the ECU again no change, I have even tried a replacement (second-hand control valve) that sits between air pump and reservoir again no improvement noticed .
I have looked for air leaks using soapy water around all pipe connectors etc.
The vehicle is usable but I hate seeing the warning light on the dash, I am at a bit of a loss so any ideas or suggestions welcomed.

Post #19498211st Jun 2018 1:17 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have you read the dtc's? What makes you think its any specific component? The amber warning is there to advise of a fault in the system. Without reading the dtc's its a guessing game.

Post #19498401st Jun 2018 2:20 pm
fbscotland

addition info

The only constant fault code for the suspension is • C1A20-64 (6C) Pressure increases too slow when filling reservoir - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure read using Gap 11D tool.
If my thinking is sound, a slow rate of system pressurization should only be air pump condition, or control valve , reservoir or line leak or maybe faulty pressure switch? I am discounting air pump on the grounds that it's new, having replaced the original one which I had overhauled it's unlikely to be that, and the same for the control valve having been changed (I did take the old control valve apart, and apart from a very small amount of desiccant residue I could see nothing wrong).
So my thinking is if a pressure switch is faulty and not showing an increase of air pressure this would trigger the warning light.
I have tried to research Discovery 3 air suspension and its control system without much success so now hoping someone on this site has had the same problem and how they sorted it out.

Post #19500642nd Jun 2018 9:35 am
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I’ve heard people say the reservoir tank is prone to corrosion on the top, so could that have sprung a pin hole leak.

Other things I’ve read are an old/worn air intake filter and old/worn air dryer beads causing obstruction to air intake, slowing things up.

Can’t say from personal experience tho.

Post #19500862nd Jun 2018 10:42 am
fbscotland

XDAndy Thanks for reply I will drop the reservoir tank down and check the top of the tank but there appears to be very little corrosion on then bottom of the tank I will also try removing air inlet pipe from air pump to make sure there o restriction in the pipe or filter, and give it a try fingers crossed.

Post #19500962nd Jun 2018 11:19 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I had a similar issue a couple of years ago which did indeed turn out to be a leak in the top of the reservoir tank. Dead leaves and other crud was plastered over the top and eventually ate a pin hole. In my case I could hear the leak if I crouched down beside it on the left. If there's a leak in the control valve, or pressure switch you might be able to hear that too if the system is flagging a fault! Other than that, I had a similar occurrence about three months ago, which I put down to exhausted desiccant and filters. Replacement of both returned everything to normal. Hope this is of some help.

Post #19502232nd Jun 2018 8:06 pm
fbscotland

Could I thank everybody who contributed to this and earlier posts regarding this topic.

The outcome was a corroded air reservoir which has now been replaced.

As a word of caution to anyone who has a similar problem the air reservoir had very little signs of rusting when fitted, the underside was rust free with only surface rusting on the front face of the tank, only once the tank was removed from the vehicle could the heavy rust/corrosion be seen.

Because the suspension ECU could not detect a pressure raise in the supply line to the tank (due to the hole/ corrosion) when it opened the solenoid on the reservoir valve block, it shuts the solenoid to protect system pressure and puts the amber warning light (at least that what I think happens)

Anyway all sorted now Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #19518258th Jun 2018 11:20 am
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Glad you sorted it, I have just replaced my reservoir for the same reason though I could hear a hiss, only problem was while driving onto ramps the left side EPB shoe decided to come off its locator and the whole
thing jammed up, oh what fun it is to replace the module and cables, I know they can be unlatched but one cable is corroded badly so here goes.

Post #19518788th Jun 2018 3:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >