Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Suspension Compressor Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 20 <123 4 ... 181920>
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
Mark, you have hit the nail on the head for most guys and it is LRCS. I have one of LR's own vehicle in replacement for mine at this moment and I had a couple of problems like you with others that built up in a very short time to a total breakdown of the vehicle. LRCS have been fantastic to me, but I have a bit of clout, which may help. What ever result I get will benefit the site members, that is for sure.

My difference is that I have said clearly to LR that I don't want a replacement, I want the car fixed. My car has done no mileage and it should have earned its keep, but has not. It is also now concerning me about reliability. However, I have faith in the vehicle, but not in the electrics or software.

I am convinved my car has a software problem. My other car has a wiring problem, but the wire was pulled out on rough ground. It should not have been if the wires were routed correctly.

Re TFC's comments, agreed, but in that case, why have LR not done the same, Ford trucks are OK.
engine loading? space? who knows - but we have to live with it Crying or Very sad I don't think the compressors at fault, rather the integration or the ancilliary components... but the compressor will show the fault as it's the major component monitored. It's a case of shooting the messenger..... Crying or Very sad  
Post #1683312th Sep 2005 8:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

I still think the majority of D3 problems are software and electrics.

Post #1684112th Sep 2005 9:01 pm
10forcash

BN wrote:
I still think the majority of D3 problems are software and electrics.
I'm not disagreeing with you... it just depends where the sensors are placed  
Post #1684312th Sep 2005 9:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Yes that could be a good point in deed.

Post #1684612th Sep 2005 9:09 pm
10forcash

Typical example is engine mangement failure.... this could be
a)failed fuel injection pump, injector, air mass sensor, etc.
-or-
lack of fuel in the tank Rolling Eyes
it's easy to forget that the electronics can't distinguish between the complex (injector failiure) and the obvious (petrol in the diesel - or an empty tank Rolling Eyes ) it all dependson how 'smart' the system is and where the sensors are placed... a compressor will always show as overheating if its output pipe is venting to atmosphere..... no sensor for that!

Post #1685012th Sep 2005 9:21 pm
MVS

Hello again chaps, back on this thread again.

Guess what, happily driving along and, BONG 'suspension error', then half an hour later after a restart Bong same again 'susp raising slowly.

Got home LR assist come and look and it's fine even after a 10 min test drive

20 mins later BONG sytem will raise when cooled, ring LR assist again & they said take it to the dealer in the morning!! Nice

So it looks like this is my second compressor going pop has only lasted 1000 miles, and it was all going so well.

Mike Big Cry

Post #1910622nd Sep 2005 6:25 pm
MarkAG

Same problem with mine!

The Landrover assist guy even tried to tell me the "bong" was due to non-connected issues - ie. You accelerate too hard after braking and whilst steering round a bend and the computer gets confused and logs problems when there aren't any. Well - that kind of doesnt really wash with me, but I guess he wasnt to know I have worked in I.T. since 1976 and currently work for IBM.

Anyway - how did it continue for me ??? My local landrover dealer (who sold me the fast becoming known as heap of $h1T" had it for 2 weeks before saying "Have it back we can't make it go bong". I had had it 3 days when it bonged 3 times. I told them - drove it straight in and they went "Ooooh look it is bonging" Over the next two days it bonged 17 times!!!!!!

How impressed am I with my local landrover dealership ??? ermm not very.

The upshot ? They have had it since last thursday. They called me today asking my permission to drive it in order to try to make the problem happen. WHAT ?????? HOW THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN TRYING SO FAR!!!!

I said quite simply - I don't want it back until it is fixed and I may not even want it back at all. I test drove a very nice Pathfinder last week and it doesnt have the trick suspension, but then it probably wont have the problems either!

I have "met" some great people in this forum. It is a shame, but I may be leaving soon due to no longer being a landrover owner! I am sooooo Censored ed off!!!

Post #1912922nd Sep 2005 8:20 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Is it binging or bonging? High or low tone? Are there any other messages, lights or indicators? Is it random, or can you replicate the tone by doing something specific.

Nothing wrong with a Pathfinder, by the way, until you put it up against a D3 in anger. I pulled the Mad Mick out three times last week in Scotland - the car was useless.

Post #1913122nd Sep 2005 8:51 pm
10forcash

do you park it regularly on a slope?
Noticed with mine that if it's on a level (ish) surface it doesn't drop at all, if it's parked on a slope for more than a couple of hours, it'll be at access height when I get back. I'm convinced from reading all the fault reports that the compressor is the symptom, not the cause of the error messages

Post #1920422nd Sep 2005 11:45 pm
MVS

I hope I get on better with my dealer, they did manage to fix it last time, BUT, the service manager and over 10 staff have left recently since Pendragon group took over.

I can wholy sympathise with the feeling of utter frustration with the thing.

Reliability and Discovery 3 seem fairly distant terms in my experience.

I must admit 20:20 hindsight says I should have stuck with my reliable Def 90.

Here's looking forward to another 2 weeks with a Focus or Mondeo!

Or are compressors less scarse these days?

Mike

Post #1920922nd Sep 2005 11:48 pm
MarkAG

They gave me a Jaguar X type for a while but at the moment I have a Freelander.

I dunno about the compressors buddy. I really cant be ar$ed to ask about it. I have just about had enough!

Post #1922323rd Sep 2005 12:21 am
MVS

Dealer diagnosed it as failed compressor, again.

No surprises, so limping around until part arrives.

Not at all comfortable with the long term, need to replace this vehicle, going to try and reject it.

Post #1923823rd Sep 2005 9:53 am
MarkAG

You and me both!
Lets keep in touch on progress of rejecting our respective vehicles.

My email address is grosvenormark@hotmail.com

Post #1923923rd Sep 2005 9:56 am
MVS

Have tried phoning dealer principle who covers my dealership, as their own is on 3 months sick note. (this it seems is normal for Pendragon staff as they are so stressed, if they haven't already left)

Awaiting reply.

You will see from some of my other posts that I have had other probs including new PDC ECU, rusted rear disc/drums, oh and heating thermostatic control went haywire, so I hopesomething can be done.

But not holding my breath.

Mike

Post #1924123rd Sep 2005 10:06 am
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Last weekend my suspension failed yet again, first time I just got the amber warning light and a message saying that I had a suspension fault - was able to reset this by restarting the car. The second time it would not reset and I also got a message saying Normal Height Only. Took the car into my dealers on monday and left it with them, spoke to them on Tuesday to find compressor had failed yet again (surprise surprise). The dealer principal is now getting me a deal together to replace it with the 2006 model. Got the car back today though with a new compressor installed - hopefully it will last a bit longer than the last one.
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #1925723rd Sep 2005 11:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 20 <123 4 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >