Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Suspension Errors when on ramp
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
BN

England 
Suspension Errors when on ramp

It has been found that suspension errors may ocurr if the car is jacked up or even wheels lifted on a ramp. I understand that a cure for this is to place the side warning flasher lights on, i.e Hazard lights.

I have not yet tried it, but the theory is that should you break down for say a puncture and place the hazards on, it will tell the suspension that it must not show an error. I think it is b*****t but if anyone wants to try before me, would be interested.

There is a cure for a suspension error when placed on a ramp and that is to lower the car to level on the ramp remove the car key, lock the car and then re enter. All should have reset.

Post #214154th Oct 2005 4:01 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I seem to remember somewhere in the manual it mentions the hazard lights but I may be wrong on this... just have this vague memory of reading it somewhere before.

-s

Post #214274th Oct 2005 4:54 pm
BN

England 

simon wrote:
I seem to remember somewhere in the manual it mentions the hazard lights but I may be wrong on this... just have this vague memory of reading it somewhere before.

-s

I bet Slimer will be the quickest to find it in the book? If not TFC will make something up now he has 5 wheels.

Post #214284th Oct 2005 5:14 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Nope, nothing relevant that I could find in the handbook, I shall widen my search Wink
 The End  
Post #214554th Oct 2005 8:40 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I wouldn't waste your time; it is nonsense.

Jacking the vehicle can induce suspension height freeze. This is not an error, but a symptom of the vehicle being raised. The suspension height control lights will flash. The suspension can be unfrozen by driving away or moving the height control either up or down.

Post #214614th Oct 2005 8:52 pm
BN

England 

Winger wrote:
I wouldn't waste your time; it is nonsense.

Jacking the vehicle can induce suspension height freeze. This is not an error, but a symptom of the vehicle being raised. The suspension height control lights will flash. The suspension can be unfrozen by driving away or moving the height control either up or down.

Winger what you say may be perfect in theory, but maybe we have had faults on 3 D3's now at Garys place, because everytime he lifts the wheels off the ramp as we discussed the suspension shows an error and no matter what we do, it will not lower. The last one was a day old D3 and we lifted the front wheels and it locked out with an error for the suspension. When the door was locked and unlocked it hissed and settled. One, yes but three, there has to be something wierd.

Post #214704th Oct 2005 9:26 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

What error message and warning lights show?

Post #214734th Oct 2005 10:02 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If youre using a 2 post ramp, jack on the wishbones, that will prevent the suspension 'error' due to the loading being maintained on the suspension, using the conventional method of jacking on the chassis rails will induce problems Wink

Post #214754th Oct 2005 10:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

Exactly, but this shouldn't come as a shock - it's in the owner's manual, after all!

I'd just like to understand precisely what BN is experiencing...... Rolling Eyes

Post #214764th Oct 2005 10:20 pm
10forcash

Winger wrote:
Exactly, but this shouldn't come as a shock - it's in the owner's manual, after all!

I'd just like to understand precisely what BN is experiencing...... Rolling Eyes
at a guess, the system is detecting no load on the suspension components, thereby causing an electronic 'panic' - resulting in extended mode.... a flick or two of the suspension flappy-paddle-thing (in Jezza speak) should reset to normal, it's not a fault, more the system reacting to input data....
Don't think a good, old fashioned ,trolley jack would cause such a hiatus Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #214774th Oct 2005 10:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

simon wrote:

-s

The hazard lights come into the equation if you have your Land Rover button programmed to raise and lower the suspension from the keyfob with the ignition off. You have to switch the hazards ON for this to operate.

I wonder if there is a link between the suspension errors, and the programming of this feature??? just a thought, maybe another survey question Question

Post #214794th Oct 2005 10:38 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

That has been my assumption since he started on this..........though in actuality the suspension freezes, rather than goes into extended mode. The locking and unlocking would do the same thing as flipping the paddle, or just driving away. My guess is that the suspension actually finds itself in a "stuck" position, rather than not having any load.

Post #214804th Oct 2005 10:40 pm
10forcash

Winger wrote:
That has been my assumption since he started on this..........though in actuality the suspension freezes, rather than goes into extended mode. The locking and unlocking would do the same thing as flipping the paddle, or just driving away. My guess is that the suspension actually finds itself in a "stuck" position, rather than not having any load.
so why the 'extra extended' mode? - manually induced once the extended mode has happened? think it would be interesting to see what happens if the vehicle was put into access or off - road height prior to a ramp lift....  
Post #214834th Oct 2005 10:43 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I always raise it to off-road height before jacking, it says so in the book.

Post #214844th Oct 2005 10:46 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

There's only one thing to do - all go round to Gary's place with Victor Meldrew

Post #214854th Oct 2005 10:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >