Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Suspension Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
pdip1952

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Suspension Failure

After nearly 10,000 miles of trouble free motoring since I bought her in August the suspension failed a couple of nights ago. Very strange.... she kept settling down onto the stops before slowly rising back up again. Red light on the panel plus a warning about the 'special programmes' being off and the need to slow down to 30mph. All the lights on the suspension control and programme wheel went off. LR had it in all day yesterday and replaced the left hand sensor..... unfortunately that didn't make a difference and she failed again on the drive home. Got LR Assistance to pick her up this morning and she is currently being checked out at Town & County in Aberdeen. They don't seem to know what is wrong according to the service dept.

LR assistance have given me a MY07 Discovery SE to use pending a fix on mine..... nice to have a 'clock' in the right place. Other than that it doesn't seem any different although the ride is firmer and you can feel the road bumps more. Engine sounds the same although definitely no lag!

On the subject of LR assistance yesterday... they refused to give me a car whilst mine was in due to the fact that they hadn't helped me although they acknowledged that the car had indeed broken down.... so getting yourself to the garage is the wrong thing to do! Learned from that hence calling them last night! Their service was good. The breakdown truck driver announced upon arrival " oh another one! I get loads of these....". That was what the same guy said earlier in the year when the front diff failed on my 06MY Range Rover Vogue.... I had hoped to avoid waving the Discovery off on the back of a truck! People at work said today "when are you going to learn that Land Rovers are crap".

I won't.... assuming this will get sorted I think the Discovery is superb and don't want anything else!

Will keep you posted!

Post #11229321st Dec 2006 10:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Sorry to hear of your misfortune old bean.

I would be interested to know the cause of this problem when it is eventually diagnosed. Providing that it is properly diagnosed and they dont just keep changing components until the problem goes away!
 Back in the game!  
Post #11229821st Dec 2006 10:08 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

do you know it might just be the weather up here ....because reading your post has just alerted me to two things I have noticed in the last couple of days Laughing - the 'special programmes' warning coming on for no reason & rising & falling of the suspension for no reason - whilst going slowly- will keep an eye on it - mine will go to T&C to if this becomes a problem - hope yours is fixed soon-
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #11230621st Dec 2006 10:40 pm
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

I have the same problem when going slowly:

first
transmission fault warning
or
suspension fault

and then the complete christmass tree lights up....

Happened contineously once when accompaning a fork lift trruck (10km/h) and once when queing. Both in temperatures around 0°C

Post #11252222nd Dec 2006 12:43 pm
Ollram

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

well, from a future buyer like me to hear such FAILURES its not nice Crying or Very sad ....
anyone has any clue how often this problem come up??
i have the feeling that 1 out of 3 cards do have this suspension fairure..... Embarassed

Post #11255522nd Dec 2006 2:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It used to be a common issue, now it is very rare and easily fixed.

Post #11256022nd Dec 2006 2:22 pm
Ollram

Gareth wrote:
It used to be a common issue, now it is very rare and easily fixed.

thnx Gareth,

do you mean for the my07 models is a rare issue?? does this mean that is only a "software" issue??

thnx

Post #11256122nd Dec 2006 2:25 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

They stopped mine from doing this last winter, but this cold snap has brought on the usual array of warning captions - but they do not stay lit for long and the car is still fine. I presume it is low volts with the cold, but the TSB was supposed to be a cure.

What is not fine is the rear parking brake (post the TSB 'fix' too). That went again this am with an god-awful noise. Wondered if that was the cold, but it was the same with the car warm.

Hey ho - off to the dealer between Xmas and NY.

Post #11256222nd Dec 2006 2:29 pm
Ollram

Robbie wrote:

Hey ho - off to the dealer between Xmas and NY.

good luck...
the more i read at this forum, the more i like to get the new D3, but at the same time the more im concerned on the problems i'll face for a 60K vehicle...unless with all new software updates old problems are rarely faced....

pls someone to "push me" buy this beast!

Post #11256422nd Dec 2006 2:38 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

FFS!! Go and buy it. I have a 60000 mile 2 year old that has all the enhancements, and it is extremely reliable.

It has only ever let me down once, and that was when it was 4 weeks old.

Post #11256722nd Dec 2006 2:40 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Robbie, you have a voltage problem. Could be a duff battery.

Post #11256822nd Dec 2006 2:41 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Gareth wrote:
FFS!! Go and buy it. I have a 60000 mile 2 year old that has all the enhancements, and it is extremely reliable.

same here & its never let me down
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #11257022nd Dec 2006 2:45 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Two different issues here, the faults post-engine start and whilst running are due to a 'calibration issue' with the engine air temperature sensor - covered by a TSB, the warning lights coming on at engine crank and going off after a few seconds or a restart are indicative of a discharged or faulty battery - it takes approximately 7 miles driving with engine revs >1500rpm to put back the charge taken out just by starting the vehicle. The same low battery voltage can also cause the EPB squeal, once the squeal happens, I found it helps to pull the release cable to force a complete realignment of the mechanical linkages within the EPB
The TSB mentioned above is also part of the enhancement programme
Ollram - 1 in 3? think it's more like 1 in 300!
Bear in mind that most D3 owners here are more likely to notice issues due to increased awareness - most of the vehicles out there are problem free and not 'worked' to the extent to many Disco3.co.uk owners vehicles are

Post #11259722nd Dec 2006 5:23 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I know it's maybe technically not possible - but it would be nice if a low batt indicator could just come on instead of all this christmas tree lighting !!!!
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #11260022nd Dec 2006 5:29 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

the issue is low voltage during cranking causing systems to be interrupted - that's what the 'christmas tree effect' is telling you! Wink

Post #11260222nd Dec 2006 5:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >