Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension Failure - Drive Below 30 MPH!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Suspension Failure - Drive Below 30 MPH!!!

Late last night, My wife and I were returning from a restaurant, when the red suspension warning lamp came on, and the suspension immediately lowered itself to access height, accompanied by the warnng message.

I feel this was dangerous, as I was driving along a country lane at some speed at the time, and could easily have lost control of the car. By the time I brought it to a halt, it was bouncing around like a pogo stick on its bump stops.

I switched off, and restarted the car, and it returned to normal. This has happened to my car before, at new year. On that occasion it would not reset and had to go to the dealer.

There is a common factor between the two failures that I have had. Prior to both occasions I have subjected the car to a thorough wash with a pressure washer. So it probably has the corroded connections that others have mentioned, because I also get parking brake failure messages.

This will be passed to the dealer on Monday.

I think this is dangerous and should really be made a recall issue. Suspension changes like this whilst driving cannot be very safe.

Post #109527th Feb 2005 7:42 am
FamilyMan

Glad your both ok, sounded like a touch & go moment. You may be right regards the pressure wash, my first handbrake warning was half an hour after a pressure wash. We now have the airbag warning light on. I'll let you know how I get on at the dealer. I'm hoping all these electrical problems are all related to this one corroided cable. Let us know how you get on.
 2005 TDV6 SE Silver/Black Manual + Alpine  
Post #109627th Feb 2005 9:42 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I don't think we were in any extreme danger of crashing, because I was aware of what was happening immediately, and slowed down. But someone less experienced may not have, and could have had an accident.

I am sure that the vehicle Inspectorate would love this one! I'll also bet that land Rover's legal department may have a few worries over this also. I mean, if I HAD crashed and caused death/injury - well, the possibility was definitly there.

Post #109727th Feb 2005 9:48 am
Ecosse

Gareth - glad that there was no injury to anyone. If only LR would just take the issues that we are all reporting a bit more seriously - they all seem to revolve around one common factor... the electronics on the vehicle. It is rather reminiscent of the Disco2 which always seemed to have minor electrical problems - at least they were simple electrics rather than the advanced electronics of Disco3 that even the dealers seem to struggle with!

Post #110127th Feb 2005 6:47 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Its been fine today, driven it this evening and no problems at all. Its very annoying though, the thought that it could do it again without warning.

I have to go to Bolton tomorrow morning, but will call by Guy Salmon Stockport in the afternoon and have a chat.

Post #110627th Feb 2005 9:36 pm
mwillems

2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

I have had the same as you may know - twice. The second time it took the dealer and LR corporate two weeks to find the fault: a corroded/wet/broken wiring loom deep in the car's insides. But it could also be a sensor - so best to let your dealer look at it in great detail.

Post #110727th Feb 2005 11:35 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Had a chat with Guy Salmon. The car is booked in for Friday, and they are going to keep it over the weekend and possibly into next week also. I have given them a 3 page snag list to sort out.

The top and most important item is the repeated suspension and parking brake errors. I have also included the FBH issue, (he was very suprised when I showed him the radio on trick, his jaw almost hit the ground when it came on), I also made them aware of my communications with LRCS on this.

I must point out that Guy Salmon are not the supplying dealer, and therefore are not the guilty party from my previous posts, that failed to call me back. Guy Salmon are at least acting interested at the moment! They do seem to be more knowledgable about the car than the supplying dealer.

I have also asked them to look at various navigation issues, all of which have been reported on here by various members, and all of which are present on my vehicle. They have promised to check the version of software installed.

All the other bits are minor, sticking rear wiper arm, bonnet difficult to close, Steering wheel offset to the right when driving straight, loose panel underneath front bumper, missing tow bracket storage facility.

Hopefully the car will come back all fixed!!!!

Post #111328th Feb 2005 3:56 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Gareth,

See if they will tell you what version of the software is installed/or they install. Useful for others to compare....

John

Post #112228th Feb 2005 6:31 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

OK Will do.

Post #11421st Mar 2005 11:20 pm
FamilyMan

Software update & suspension failure....Please read MWil

My car has just returned from the dealer regarding three issues.

1. Parking Brake warning light
2. Airbag warning light
3. CD/Radio not coming back on after the Sat/Nav spoke.

They updated the software and configured all the systems. This seems to have fixed the parking brake light. Apparently the previous software didn't recognise when the car was in fourth gear (as indicated on the dash). The dash now shows every gear when selected.

This update has also cured the Sat/Nav problem and for the first time the radio/cd returns after it gives an instruction.

The airbag warning light was due to a faulty seatbelt tensioner, this was replaced.

I was happy with the car and made 3 or 4 short trips in it after pickup. However, this morning after 50 yards or driving the suspension warning light came on, the traction warning light came on, 'something something management failure' (didn't have time to read it properly) scrolled across the dash and the suspension dropped Sad .

I turned off the car, restarted and all seemed ok. I've since made 3 short trips in it and it's still fine. I've booked it back in with the dealer but I'm not sure if I'm flogging a dead horse here. Do I really have to have my new car, 1300 miles, pulled to bits for a third time in three weeks to sort this out or is it most probably a software/sensor bug as per the other problems!!!

I mentioned the corroded cable issue but they said that there are 1000's of such connectors and it's impossible to check them unless their computer flags one up.

MWillems.....if it's possible for you to help identify the cable you had a problem with I'd be very grateful. Maybe you could let me know your dealers name so I could get my dealer conferring. Any help would be most appreciated. It may not be the same cause but it gives them a starting point....thanks.
Post #11582nd Mar 2005 12:57 pm
Ecosse

Gareth - good luck & can you let us all know what they say about the fbh cabin warming function? - it is good to know that another dealer has seen it working (despite LR's denials!, which are now starting to make them look VERY stupid) - I checked again this morning & it is not just the webasto itself but the car's ventilation fans are being activated to warm the interior!
LR seem to forget that they have issued a warranty with the vehicles Evil or Very Mad and I have advised their CS & also the CEO himself that they have until the end of the week to confirm how they are going to resolve it failing which I will take action over their breach of the warranty terms Wink, so it woudl be useful to know if you make any progress via Guy Salmon

Post #11592nd Mar 2005 1:17 pm
Pelyma

England 

I called in and saw my dealer on Tuesday about a paint flaw. Whilst there I mentioned about the fbh (they had told me at the time of picking it up it didn't work) they were flabbergasted when I told them how to do it and what an excellent feature it is.

I wonder if they have much clout with LR as if they have more excellent features they will sell more - a 2 pronged attack.

Post #11823rd Mar 2005 8:47 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes lets live in hope. I used mine this morning to melt the snow, abosultely fantastic feature. Just a pain to get up early and to go and switch it on!!

Post #11843rd Mar 2005 8:51 am
FamilyMan

Gareth,

Let us know how the suspension investigation goes. So far my dealer doesn't know what to do about it. They have fixed all my other issues with the car though but this one is new to them. Thanks
Post #11933rd Mar 2005 10:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >