Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

suspension fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Big Kev

Australia 
suspension fault

hi , in Broome at the moment all fine, except intermitently the message centre displays 'SUSPENSION FAULT NORMAL HEIGHT ONLY'. once the engine is stopped and turned back on again no fault indicating light is present and suspention can be lowered and raised as normal..... until the next incidence. only started happening yesterday after i'd taken the camper trailer off, when i was driving around town

Have got it booked in monday with the local land rover agent to have a look.

any ideas of the fault would be helpful.

thnaks Kev

Post #94541522nd Jun 2012 7:41 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

That could be a number of things....in my case it wasn't long before the dreaded red light and speed restriction warning.....a new compressor was diagnosed and duly cleared it up....but as I said try the search on here,there are other possible (cheaper) culprits.... Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #94542222nd Jun 2012 8:14 am
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Was the compressor in my case too. Get the faultcodes read. If you see "Pressure Increasing Too Slowly" then it's most probably the compressor, though it could be an air leak too.
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #94542622nd Jun 2012 8:28 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

or you need to dry the beads in the dyer or get a new one. Cheaper than a new compressor.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #94553522nd Jun 2012 12:58 pm
garrycol

Australia 

Yet again - LR have outsmarted themselves - why make the beads in what is essentially a sealed system - why not use domestic beads in a container that is a serviceable item to be replaced every major service - too easy.

Garry

Post #94592823rd Jun 2012 4:28 am
Neil Pettersen

garrycol wrote:
.... essentially a sealed system - why not use domestic beads in a container that is a serviceable item to be replaced every major service - too easy.

They were going to combine the in-cabin air filter with the gel can assem in D4 , but it's not
come to fruition . Current design is total crap. FYI the canister is $164 inc GST........ DO NOT GET SHAFTED
for a new compressor !!!

Post #94622624th Jun 2012 6:27 am
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'm getting repeated suspension faults, how do I know whether it's a new compressor needed or just the beads replaced?

Post #94623024th Jun 2012 7:52 am
Neil Pettersen

If it cuts out after 30sec to a minute of running ; resets and keeps doing the same , but getting
more frequent , then it's the canister blocking flow and causing vacuum trip.

Post #94624724th Jun 2012 9:02 am
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

mmm... okay... the fault code I'm getting is unable to pressurise resevoir (or something like that), so I assume the compressor is unable to charge it up then cuts out (it's about a minute after starting the car).

The beads are white with a few blue... which colour should they be?

There's dessicant beads on ebay (purchased by weight... 500g, 1kg etc) so is it worth using these and giving it a go?

Post #94626624th Jun 2012 10:20 am
Neil Pettersen

When the beads break-down they become dust . You'll need to scrape that off the canister end filter pads.
Let's be honest here ; just how little moisture can a small handful of beads really absorb from God knows
how much air over the years . I doubt it matters whatsoever if there's any beads in there . Mine ran
for three and a half years in the Tropics ! When you see how much water there is coming out of an air-con
unit , it makes you think that this canister is a load of Censored really .............

Post #94629024th Jun 2012 10:49 am
Big Kev

Australia 
suspension fault

thanks guys, as you suggested the fault was diagnosed as a control valve and the dryer etc. We are now patiently waiting for delivery of parts in Broome. If you have to be stranded somewhere this is not a bad place.

thanks again Kev

Post #9494242nd Jul 2012 1:12 am
shanep

Australia 

NickJ, beads $14 from online store are ok, I purchased the orange ones. Replacement exhaust valve $12(genuine LR part), 30 mins to pull the compressor, 5 mins to change over and 30 mins to re-install. Easy to do no more problems with compressor.

From memory I think you need 125-150g of dry beads (might want to check this first).

NickJ wrote:
mmm... okay... the fault code I'm getting is unable to pressurise resevoir (or something like that), so I assume the compressor is unable to charge it up then cuts out (it's about a minute after starting the car).

The beads are white with a few blue... which colour should they be?

There's dessicant beads on ebay (purchased by weight... 500g, 1kg etc) so is it worth using these and giving it a go?

Post #98770810th Oct 2012 1:27 pm
DiscoJools

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Are the dessicant beads silica gell beads?

Discojools
 2.7 D4 eDiff, Traxide Dual battery, Safari Snorkel...Opposite Lock winch bar..extra set 17" wheels with 245/70/17 BFG KM2 MTs..Warrior winch..Long range tank.
1982 2dr RRC renovated.
1983 Range Rover 2dr fitted with 300Tdi (with bigger turbo), 40mm body lift, Warn 9000i winch and BFG MT 265/75/16. Rear Maxidrive locker
1976 Landcruiser BJ40 with tipper body for the farm!! 

Post #98910913th Oct 2012 12:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shanep

Australia 

Try http://www.silicagel.com.au/products/250-G...ting-.html

Plenty of instructions floating around on web how to replace.

Post #98911613th Oct 2012 1:05 pm
DiscoJools

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks...Already have unit dismantled. Is from my D3 2 or 3 years ago when it failed. Have run with dryer empty and doesn't seem to be pumping much air. makes me think that piston is stuffed. Will try and rig up a test tank and pressure gauge to test.
Getting repair kit JPO500010 from the UK for about £15 plus postage. Comes with o rings,springs and strangely screws!

Discojools

[img]http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/13799/normal_JPO500010.bmp[/img]
 2.7 D4 eDiff, Traxide Dual battery, Safari Snorkel...Opposite Lock winch bar..extra set 17" wheels with 245/70/17 BFG KM2 MTs..Warrior winch..Long range tank.
1982 2dr RRC renovated.
1983 Range Rover 2dr fitted with 300Tdi (with bigger turbo), 40mm body lift, Warn 9000i winch and BFG MT 265/75/16. Rear Maxidrive locker
1976 Landcruiser BJ40 with tipper body for the farm!! 

Post #98912713th Oct 2012 2:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >