Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension fault - have I done something wrong??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
sunlion

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackLR3

Look at your 4x4 screen......any blinking red lights? Those would indicate a sensor problem. However, my left front sensor had the connector wires ripped off but the pump still functioned. Isolate your pump and make see if it runs independently of everything else. Check all 4 sensor wiring harnesses.

Yes, after going through the valve blocks, I’m convinced they foul over time and lead to the rising slowly condition due to blockages of the tiny air passages.......white powdery substance that shouldn’t be snorted!!!!

Try to blow out the lines also. Make sure the Voss connections to the valve blocks aren’t kinked. The valve blocks are easy to take apart so go thru them again. The small black pieces inside need to be pressed together and rotated slightly to lock in place to secure the solenoid. Use only hand tools. Be sure the orientation of the solenoid is correct. Take pics and post them....

Post #208479617th Sep 2019 3:36 pm
sunlion

I am not a LR tech or mechanic but this is what I figured out that cured my suspension faults.

Post #208479717th Sep 2019 3:38 pm
mark george

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Would sensors not show up as a fault in the IID?

Post #208480317th Sep 2019 3:59 pm
sunlion

I imagine they would. I did my repair without the benefit of a IID. You should be able to get pressures from the scan tool so check those. How old is your pump? Isolate it and make sure it runs. Do you have the air suspension technical document?

Post #208480517th Sep 2019 4:06 pm
sunlion

I’m happy to upload it but I can figure out how to load a pdf here

Post #208480617th Sep 2019 4:07 pm
mark george

Right, I popped out the relay and bridged the two large slots to get the pump running on its own with no problem. I watched the gallery pressure as it ran and it maxed out at around 290-300kPa. I cannot hear any hissing or hint of air leaking as i strain my ears around every wheel arch and valve block location. This pressure seems very low compared to the chart gstuart posted... any thoughts?

Sunlion, i'll breakdown the valve block again the weekend..

Post #208498518th Sep 2019 11:58 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Glad the pressure chart helped ok

Enclosed some pdf on the suspension system for u , know it can feel like ur pulling ur hair out

Alas when I first bought mine I had to virtually rebuild the entire suspension because it had been so neglected

Indeed sounds like the compressor isn’t reaching anywhere near what it should be , hope I don’t ask questions that have already been asked

U can use the iid to check if the valve blocks are opening , height sensors etc

But think u need to establish 100% ur compressor is up to the job, easy to remove, put on a bench , using a pressure gauge , running it and seeing what pressure it reaches

So u can then at least establish first of all that’s working perfectly

Does the suspension drop overnight or can’t u get it to raise at all, at least then pulling fuse F26 which disables the suspension ur be able to prove if the system is leaking

Raise it to off road height , pull the fuse and leave overnight , see if it drops

Assume you’ve checked the air inlet filter that sits in the boot locker , have enclosed pdf, looks like a round black canister

But think u need to start with the compressor , pull the pipes off the end cap and run the compressor to see if it runs longer than 10 x seconds

Check on ur iid what temperature u compressor is running at, see if it gets too hot

Hope that helps a little and what fault codes have u still got plse

Plenty here to always help

Pdf files

http://media.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/u...iption.pdf

http://media.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/u...ontrol.pdf

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us..._12%29.pdf

Post #208501218th Sep 2019 1:56 pm
gstuart

Also meant to say ref the pressure chart

First figures are what the compressor should run at , second figure is the reserve pressure , this is what it goes to after u have turned the disco off and hear that hiss , this is to relieve the excess pressure in the system so it’s not left at the higher pressure Thumbs Up

Gary

Post #208501518th Sep 2019 1:59 pm
sunlion

Consider taking a peek inside your pump....here’s what I found with my old pump....a large capacitor had melted around with the board to which it was attached.

Post #208502818th Sep 2019 3:21 pm
gstuart

Hi sunlion

That’s looks like fun, think many of us also like to dabble to find out what wrong

Did the motor blow a fuse everytime it was plugged it with it shorted out like that

Also see u have the same idea ref the op compressor in isolating it to ensure it’s working 100% , indeed think that’s the way to go to start from there

Know when I done mine if not careful can end up going in all different directions and get know where

With mine because it had been so neglected I had to replace compressor , all 3 x valves blocks , air tank, front struts

Found using pressure and vacuum gauges a godsend by isolating sections as there were leaks everywhere , made up all different rigs inc having a tyre compressor to pressurise different sections

Post #208504118th Sep 2019 4:35 pm
mark george

ive had the pump on the bench already when i did the drier so will come off easily enough. Its the original pump so now 12 years old. if i pull off the outlet pipe and run the pump there doesnt feel like a great deal of pressure coming out...

regarding the suspension drop, this how it all started, front end started dropping one day whilst driving home (pump has been faulting for quite a while so no pressure going into the system after the first minute or so of running). I did the fuse check - pumped up to height, pulled the fuse and within an hour or so both fronts on the bump stops. I bought a rebuild kit for the front valve block and thought i'd do the drier on the compressor at the same time. Compressor done first, but when tested the front wouldn't move off the bump stops at all Shocked so worse than before i started.. I soldiered on and rebuilt the front valve block but its still untested, so may still have an issue to resolve once I've got some pressure into the system.

Post #208509118th Sep 2019 6:10 pm
gstuart

Hi mark

Hope the links will at least give u a better idea of how the system works and not telling u how to suck eggs Laughing

Indeed I would remove the air compressor and test it on the bench , seeing it’s 12 x years old I imagine it’s knackered , had an hitachi in mine and tried to rebuild it , alas didn’t last much longer and fitted a
Dunlop

At least then ur know 100% the compressor is sound before moving o to any other issues

Hope that helps and plse let us know how u get on

Ps, included the airline connection drawing which may also help

Post #208512318th Sep 2019 7:40 pm
sunlion

My motor got to a point where it just quit, never blew a fuse.

Mark, even if your air compressor motor is not bad, I’d replace it. I got an eBay rebuilt hitachi for under US$200. I can’t comment on the level of the rebuild but it’s functioning well for now. Most of us are on our 2nd or 3rd compressors.

Quite a set up there for your diagnosis and evaluation gstuart. Good mcgivering .....if you know who McGiver is.

Post #208519319th Sep 2019 1:10 am
gstuart

Many thks Bow down

was that the tv series as the name rings a bell

Think a lot of it is from my heating days where I tested and diagnosed heating systems so had that mindset taught to me many moons ago

So used that when my suspension leaked like a sieve , full of white dust throughout the system so had to disconnect all the lines and blew them out with an air compressor then pressure tested each circuit , also found using a vacuum gauge helpful testing valve blocks if they were letting by or not

Thks again Thumbs Up

Post #208519419th Sep 2019 2:27 am
mark george

Thanks for all the advice guys, and 'Angus', have no fear regarding the egg sucking lessons Rolling with laughter (sure that was his first name..). Agreed i think i need to swap out the compressor before I go any further - i've already been chasing my tail for weeks.. 12 years is a good innings by the sound of things and to just assume 'as it was ok before I took it off the car and overhauled the drier it should be ok when put back' is a BIG assumption... I'll order one today

....watch this space...

Post #208522419th Sep 2019 7:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >