Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Suspension Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
strangey

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SCV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Suspension Issue

Hi

Apologies for starting yet another thread about a suspension issue but I was hoping to get some ideas/advice that I can take with me when, hopefully, I go to get it resolved at the end of the week.

I recently purchased a 2016 D4 with 30k miles on it and a few days after we got it home the dreaded 'Only Normal Height Available' warning started to appear. It was intermittent at first but now seems to come on at some point every time we drive it.

Having read many of the D3/D4 threads reporting similar problems it seems clear that the most likely cause will be the compressor but there are also a cart load of other reasons for it as well. The fact it's just ticked over 30k miles is annoying me as I wouldn't have expected the compressor to fail this early. What would I know though... this is my first LR. That being the case I went out and got an IID Tool and dropped the codes out of it, shown below...

U0241-00 (2E) Lost communication with the headlamp control module A
U0421-68 (2B) Invalid data received from ride level control module - Algorithm based failure - event information
C1A20-64 (AF) Pressure increases too slow when filling reservoir - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure

As it turns out, these faults registered more or less together and about 6k miles ago, long before I bought it, but that's another story...

So the C1A20-64 failure is there indicating a compressor issue but what is bothering me is that on start up I'm normally able to raise/lower the thing without any problem and without the warning appearing (5-10 seconds between settings which seems normal). The warning won't normally come on until 5-10 minutes into a journey and not normally until I've accelerated up to normal speed. (we have quite a long lane to negotiate before we get to a main road)

I've tried parking it on the flattest part of our drive I can find and looking at it the DSF appears to be low. Equally though the NSR looks high so the corners are a bit all over the place.

It had new tyres put on just before we bought it so the wheels have been off of it recently making me wonder if maybe there was a calibration problem as well. I'm no mechanic but on reading the manual it seems like it should be simple enough to try.

Anyway, I've booked it into a local dealer later in the week as it 'should' still be covered by the warranty from the dealer we bought it from. Even so, I'd like to turn up with at least half an idea of what may be wrong in order to challenge if needed or just to increase my chances of it being fixed properly.

If any of the symptoms above ring a bell with anyone or even if you'd just like to offer your thoughts on why I should've checked more carefully before I bought it I'd be grateful for any response.

Post #21842012nd Nov 2020 9:18 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If there are no leaks then it looks like its a new compressor, those faults are the norm when the pump is failing. or you have a leak.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #21842343rd Nov 2020 9:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
strangey

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SCV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks Flack... much appreciated.

If it is a new compressor that's needed and I'm given a choice I guess I should push for an AMK over Hitachi as it seems from the discussion on the forum that they're more reliable in the long run?
 D4 Landmark MY16 - for the dog
C7 Audi RS6 - for the smile
Suzuki Swift 1.6 Sport - for the shopping 

Post #21843363rd Nov 2020 7:04 pm
Weyboat

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As your car is a 2016MY you don't have that option, your car is fitted with an AMK compressor and that is what you should use to replace it.
 Gone 2016 Landmark D4
Current 2015 HSE D4 - AKA - 'Gandalf the Grey' 

Post #21843633rd Nov 2020 9:34 pm
strangey

That makes it easy then... thanks

Post #21843663rd Nov 2020 9:57 pm
strangey

So as you guys suggested above, the fix for the problem is going to be a new compressor. Still sounds very early given it's only just done 30k miles but guess it's just a duff unit.

The fitted cost for a new LR part will be over £1k with most of that being the cost of the compressor itself.

When I searched for the part on the internet I could see an OEM version for significantly cheaper than what I was being quoted by the LR dealership. I queried the difference with a local independent and I was told that with the cheaper version, even though they are produced by the OE manufacturer, more than the odd one or two suffer from coding issues when installed.

Is that a known issue?

All going well my repair should be covered by a warranty but if it wasn't I'd be looking at the less expensive part as it's less than 50% the cost of the genuine LR unit.

Post #21848095th Nov 2020 9:42 pm
latnutgub

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi, just fit the original part. Try this.

https://aerosus.co.uk/land-rover/filter/fi...focus=list

Its not too bad a job, for a do it yourself.

Post #21848275th Nov 2020 10:08 pm
strangey

Thanks latnutgub.

All going well this repair will be covered by warranty but I'll bank that link in case something goes wrong and I need to either go somewhere else or try to do it myself. Thumbs Up

Post #21848836th Nov 2020 7:53 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >