DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

suspension leak - diagnosis?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
shirt

United Arab Emirates 2009 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
suspension leak - diagnosis?

Hi all,

Over the past month or so my air suspension has been getting worse. Started off with a noticeably noisy compressor coming on every morning, then recently its been every time i get in the car. Definitely a leak there somewhere.

I raised it last night and disconnected the battery. This morning the front was lowered at both sides, the back was at the normal ride height.

From a google, it suggests the front axle valve block is at fault. Does this sound correct?

Can I service the block or it is better to fit a new one? I can get a new one for around GBP110 locally, not sure about a service kit unless it is standard sized O rings.

I plan to take the wheels off tonight and check all the bushes as I will do anything that needs it whilst its in my garage. What else should I check on the air system?

Post #198465619th Sep 2018 10:35 am
webego

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

For future reference you only need to remove F26 to "kill" the air suspension.

If only the front dropped and on both sides, that does sound like the front valve block (or pipe to it). The block is accessed via the offside front wheel arch. You need to partially open the liner (easier with the wheel off but not essential) near the front. The block is held on to the back of the front bumper.

Post #198467319th Sep 2018 11:26 am
shirt

United Arab Emirates 2009 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

digging this back up...

i replaced the valve block then have been away for a couple of months with work. the situation now is much worse. every time i drive the car the orange suspension warning light comes on and the compressor is almost always on. i am not driving the car at present as its mainly motorway speeds out here and i don't fancy having it drop to the bump stops....

i pulled the fuse last night and it fairly quickly knelt down again at the front, perhaps marginally more to the right side. i then jacked the car and heard a very loud leak on the right side. with the wheel off and adding load to the strut using a second jack i was unable to replicate that or otherwise find where the leak was coming from using soapy water.

i ran out of time, refitted the wheel and lowered the car. both front struts were completely down and i had to flick it into access height and back to normal to get the suspension to rise. i then put the jack back under the right front and with each pump there was a loud hissing, with that corner sinking again when i lowered the jack.

my query now is whether i fitted the lines to the new valve block badly or whether i have a leaky airbag. how can i fault find this with the wheel off? also, how many hours should a garage book against an airbag change? i doubt i have time to do this myself and have a long-planned camping trip coming up fast.

Post #200221320th Nov 2018 6:48 am
KostasA

Greece 

as a first step check if you fitted the lines correctly. use soap water spray them and see. also do same procedure on all air pipes.

Post #200224220th Nov 2018 9:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >