Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension lowering - which fuses to take out?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ostland

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Suspension lowering - which fuses to take out?

My MY06 D3 has been suffering from suspension lowering (no warnings, no fault messages). I just had it checked with the dealer (again), with the same response I have been getting a number of times ("no problem with the air suspension"), and only to see it sink to its lowest level within 3 days. From the bottom of the plastic wheel arch to the top of the rim measured 23 cm (front) and 25 cm (back) just after driving, and sinks to 13 cm (front) and 15 cm (back) when left there for 3-4 days. I presume this is not normal?

So, I have decided to take out fuses to see what happens. Reading the manual, in addition to Fuses 3 (E), 35 (P), you also need to take out Fuse 26 (E). Is this correct? Also is there a way to ascertain the exact nature of the suspension problem by taking out just one or two of these fuses?

I also read elsewhere that I would need to let the computer sleep first by waiting for 15 minutes. Would I not wake up the computer if open the door to access the passenger-side fuse box?

Post #77275010th Mar 2011 4:38 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

yes you would, so let it go to sleep with the bonnet and door open Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #77275110th Mar 2011 4:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ostland

Thanks Bodsy for your swift response.

There have been other threads where they suggest just taking out Fuses 35P and 3E. Are there permutations which I should be playing with to ascertain the exact nature of the problem (I suspect problem is somewhere on the front suspension but don't know what)? I don't have an engineer's mind so any help would be much appreciated.

Post #77364013th Mar 2011 9:26 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Only the main engine bay suspension fuse (26E) needs to be removed to cut-off power to the suspension ecu and it can be removed even with the engine running if needed to stop the vehicle lowering. Even when the vehicle is asleep, the suspension ecu is powered and functioning, just not actively monitoring height sensors, height change switches, compressor state & temperatures etc so nothing is achieved by waiting. The other engine bay fuse is only a feed-back circuit so that the suspension ecu can tell if the compressor relay contacts are closed, but of no significance if the ecu itself has no power. The passenger compartment fuse is an ignition-on signal, but also of no significance if the ecu has no power.
 Home of LLAMS, for LRs and Jeep GCs  
Post #77390213th Mar 2011 8:58 pm
er1c

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

GraemeS, is this definitely a fact? I live on a steep hill, so I don't have the luxury of jacking up my LR3 when I want to do an oil change outside of my house. (My project car takes up all the room in my single-car driveway unfortunately.) So, I normally remove 35P, 3E and 26E to prevent it from lowering and crushing me to death! Are you telling me all I need to do is remove 26E and that'll render the other 2 fuse-removals pointless? I don't want to speculate this and find out once I'm underneath it, the info was wrong and I get hurt or worse killed!

Post #77392513th Mar 2011 9:20 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

In the course of my development of the LLAMS unit I studdied D3 & RRS circuit diagrams and the workshop manual and took many multi-meter probes to understand how the air suspension electrically works. Because of this, I have only ever removed the main fuse to disable the ecu and have done this countless times. However if at all avoidable, I still wont get under an air suspensioned vehicle without a jack of some sort as a precaution against a mechanical failure of an airspring or its airline to its valve block.

Edit: My vehicle is a D4 which has different fuse numbers to D3 but the functions of the fused wires are identical.
 Home of LLAMS, for LRs and Jeep GCs  
Post #77433414th Mar 2011 8:45 pm
ostland

Thank you all for the advice. Since last week all hell broke loose in my neck of the woods, and have not been able to try out the fuses, as my D3 is being used as an escape pod right now. But when things quieten down, I will try taking Fuse 26E and see where the problem appears.

Post #77530817th Mar 2011 9:50 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Ostland,
I feel for you and your fellow countrymen.

It's great that your D3 is of assistance.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #77561517th Mar 2011 11:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >