Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension recalibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Suspension recalibration

My apologies if this is common knowledge. Just read a thread on rangerovers.net (http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25924&p=197713#p197713) where someone managed to use 'the corporate' version of IDS/Testbook to have his suspension recalibrated for offroad use. Read below:

Quote:
Yeah, but my understanding is that it's not something you can get done at dealerships, or a friendly LR indy shop, even if equipped with the latest T4/IDS software. Adam (Off roving) went through a buddy of his at LRU (Land Rover University), using a corporate version of the T4 Testbook - not locked down like the dealer/repair shop version - and with that software he was able to digitally recalibrate the system to provide +1"f and +1.5"r lift in all suspensions modes. But unless you also happen to have a buddy working at LRU, you'll be SOL. Laughing The "regular" T4 software provided to dealers and indy service dept.s doesn't allow such changes to be implemented.

The thread is here: http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19092

He says dealers in the US don't have this version of the software - how about the UK, seeing that it is the birthplace of LR?

This would be really useful for those of us who need to travel 'high' at more than 50km/h.

Post #32655828th Jul 2008 10:02 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

total carp!!, the LR Academy IDS systems are dealer standard - they have to be as they're used for training dealer tech's, what would be the point in training them with equipment and features they cant access? Thud
It is possible to recalibrate the standard heights by 'fooling' IDS with different measurements though, doesn't change the speed limits for offroad height whatever measurements are put in!

Post #32656428th Jul 2008 10:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

LOL, that's what I wondered 10FC. I think it's more like LR won't allow recalibrating for legalities. I know Adam, he has (had) a super nice RRS.

I still feel that recalibrating the speed sensors would be a better route for me if it were possible. Wouldn't need it often enough in my neck of the woods. I'm not comfortable with extra strain put on the suspension at all times, although I can see the benefits with fitting larger tires.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #32656628th Jul 2008 10:19 pm
Jonty

TFC, so does the dealer have the capability to recalibrate suspension heights then and aren't allowed to do it or is there no such option?

I've seen pics of the car in question, and it was higher than normal Confused Question

Post #32656728th Jul 2008 10:20 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Calibration of air suspension relies upon the tech inputting measured heights, if they were to 'adjust' those values then the ride hight could be changed BUT the speed limits would remain, the speed signal is calculated by the ABS module and broadcast over CANbus, if this is missing, then many modules default to 'safe' operating conditions. The speed signal cannot be changed safely. One option is to install the Mazker suspension control kit, this gives the ability to maintain a higher ride hight at higher speeds although I wouldn't want to be putting high levels of torque at extreme steering angles repeatedly through the CV joints....
Dealers can use IDS to recalibrate suspension height as can independents with Autologic, although as an Autologic user, I wouldn't want to recalibrate to a higher setting due to potential claims for damage to the drivetrain regardless of how much the owner pleaded with me to do it Rolling Eyes

Post #32657428th Jul 2008 10:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jonty

Thumbs Up Understood.

I wonder how hard it is to do a diff-drop on a d3? Whistle

maybe when it's older......

Post #32657628th Jul 2008 10:35 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Yeah I'm sure we'll see lots of creativity as they get aged Laughing

Interesting info on the speed sensors Thumbs Up the engineering of these machines is frustrating at times, but so fascinating.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #32658528th Jul 2008 10:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >