Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension & Sand
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

No, three height settings just the same - but the 32mm body lift applies to each.

Post #49993426th Jul 2009 3:17 am
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

Oh - I had a super-extended mode moment on Friday last. Again no issues, stopped the car afterwards, switched off, switched on and reset to normal height setting and all was fine.

Post #49993526th Jul 2009 3:20 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

To get into super-extended you have to press the brake and hold the up lever on for a few seconds. Extended happens automatically if it thinks you are stuck, is that what you meant?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #49993626th Jul 2009 3:43 am
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

Yes, you're right. I guess extended mode was what happened. I've never been able to get my car to manually go into super-extended in the way you've suggested. I guess you need to be in extended mode first, and then remember to manually select that little bit extra, right?

Post #50000226th Jul 2009 1:46 pm
GaryEss

United Kingdom 

Hello
Yes, auto extended is invoked by the RLCM when it "thinks" the vehicle is stuck, then you can manually select some extra lift after this. This mode is temporary only, vehicle will automatically lower once free of the obstacle, so you cannot drive around at this height.
Just a thought but if you decide to shorten your sensor link rods then theoretically you may encounter problems if this mode is selected, as the car will attempt to go even higher than this design limit which could result in premature wear or damage to suspension components.
There is a picture of a vehicle in manually selected extra extended mode in my gallery for anyone who hasn't seen how high this is.

Post #50000526th Jul 2009 2:30 pm
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the explanation and picture Gary. This is certainly the kind of height that has been happening when they've jacked up the rear end to change wheels. The depot can't believe the height it goes to before they can clear a wheel, and hence my insistence that I reset the suspension before they move on to the next one.

Post #50003326th Jul 2009 5:23 pm
daveyb

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Thanks for the supportive words rhffgb Thumbs Up Other tid bits of info can be found here:
http://www.lrlmagazine.com/_blog/The_Land_Rover_Blog_Roll/page/2/
http://www.lucky8llc.com/Search.asp?Appl=LR3

You can order through me directly or Lucky8. Same price. Please be sure to mention THIS site so I can support Disco3.CO.UK properly.

Cheers,

Dave
 2006 D3 Tonga Green
275/65/18 GY DuraTracs - ARB w/ EP9.0 - Sasquatch Rods 

Post #50010626th Jul 2009 7:47 pm
JR

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi David.

The rods Rhffgb refers to:
a) Will such as installation affect the vehicles motor plan / warranty? - and
b) Are they something I can install, or do I need to send the vehicle to an agent?

Cheers

JR

Post #50014926th Jul 2009 9:27 pm
daveyb

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

A. I would play it safe and not have the rods installed when going in for Dealer Servicing or Warranty work. Outside of Dealer Installed or Dealer Provided, any installed aftermarket product could be argued as "may" void Vehicle Manufacturers Warranty.
B. Install only takes me 5 minutes for all four. No special tools required. Complete instructions supplied. A great DIY product!
 2006 D3 Tonga Green
275/65/18 GY DuraTracs - ARB w/ EP9.0 - Sasquatch Rods 

Post #50015626th Jul 2009 9:39 pm
caverD3

Any after market addition can be used as an excuse to void warranty. Rolling Eyes
I do not know what the consumer law situation in SA is but here they would have to prove the modification caused the failure.
It also depends on your dealer, mine has selective blindness. Thumbs Up
Our kit has been designed so you can remove the actuators (connected via quick-fit connectors) and replace with originals if this is a concern.
I think if you go into super extended with shortened rods you would just put the sensor out of range and the syem would log a fault and shut down.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #50024627th Jul 2009 12:52 am
GaryEss

United Kingdom 

There is a possibility that extending the suspension above the super extended height design limit could cause damage or premature wear to suspension components- the suspension could end up in the equivalent to the full droop position, but with the full vehicle weight on the wheels, loading some components outside of their design spec. (I'm thinking specifically ball joints and suspension bushes)- What the EAS tries to do is aim for a certain height but because of the shortened rods the sensor feedback is actually "telling" the RLCM that the car is lower than the real height, so it may keep trying to raise the vehicle until the mechanical limit of suspension travel is reached (suspension travel is limited by damper range on extension and bump stops on compression. The stop within the damper is designed to support the weight of the unsprung suspension components when the wheel is lifted off the ground- this force may not be the same as that experienced by being pushed down by a fully pressurised air spring). In this instance if the RLCM keeps trying to raise the car but it cannot see a height change then a warning and / or a dtc may be generated.
If shortened links are fitted the geometry is such that you will not take the sensor out of range on extension as the sensor is actually giving feedback that equates to a lower height. You may encounter an out of range signal going the other way (lowering) as you are now "telling" the RLCM that the car is lower that it can be i.e. past the bump stops
Also sensor feedback is not linear i.e. voltage feedback: height change in mm ratio varies near the ends of the sensor arm travel thus 0.5 volt feedback change when the sensor arm is central might = 3mm height change but 0.5v change with the arm near to the end of it's travel may = 6mm change in height. (examples only not actual figures)

Luckily you have to choose to select super extend, so it's in your hands to decide.

Don't forget to tell your insurance company that you have modified your vehicle- if you have an accident above the designed off road height threshold speed then it could be argued that the raising of the vehicle Cof G was a contributing factor.
Regarding warranty, I suspect that any issues with suspension, tyres, steering rack, driveshafts, driveline NVH etc will not be covered if you are running your vehicle at off road height above design threshold speed
Just a thought but why has no one attempted to re write the EAS software, as this method would allow upper and lower travel limits to remain unchanged, perhaps only inhibit the height change when in one of the TR off road modes, thus preserving the standard road settings.
Finally an amusing aside- I have seen Range Rovers and RR Sports that had been modified (via the links again) to acheive the opposite- some want their cars lowered when on the road!

Post #50026127th Jul 2009 7:06 am
caverD3

As I said I haven't tried it but caveats on documentation already say: "Do not engage Super extended mode when system is operating". Also advice to inform insurance company. Here a max lift of of 50mm is allowed without an engineers cert. system gives a max of 40mm.
Agree, doing too much at super extended will put stress on the components; I think someone on the the site bust a CV joint when they booted it in full lock in super extended?

There are quite few running shortened rods now and there have been no problems except occasional suspension faults in certain circumstances.

No-one has yet broken the codes used for the speed settings and LR won't do anything because the problem only exists in small markets. It would require re-calibrating and re-testing for new speeds all the traction control DSC etc for towing and not towing.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #50027527th Jul 2009 8:32 am
GaryEss

United Kingdom 

Agreed, and I'm sure all of the enthusiasts on this site are knowledgeable enough to decide what they want from their vehicle.
Interesting quote you made "LR won't do anything because the problem only exists in small markets". It's the problem that exists elsewhere that made it necessary to include this safeguard in the system from the start- someone somewhere would have blamed the manufacturer when they forgot to lower the EAS then had an accident. Don't forget it cost more to include this feature in terms of manufacturing cost (extra sw code to write and validate, for more than 1 control module) than it would have cost to omit it, so legal reasons were probably the primary (but not only) motive for it's inclusion. I would actually like to be able to choose even if it meant that a constant warning message was displayed, but LR needs to cater for the lowest common denominator.
Regarding DSC as you quite rightly suggest if LR were to re write the EAS sw to allow height at speed then the intervention threshold for the DSC system may also need to be changed. (DSC has no roll sensors, just yaw, wheel speed and steering angle/rate, so it cannot "see" that the vehicle now rolls more.)
Open question to all- has anyone with modified links ever noticed any change in how their DSC operates? Does it ever seem to work earlier?
Now, another question - what happens if you run a standard Discovery 3 up to top speed on a rolling road- does it lower and loosen its tie downs?.....

Post #50032127th Jul 2009 10:49 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

caverD3 wrote:
I think someone on the the site bust a CV joint when they booted it in full lock in super extended?

Twice actually Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #50032427th Jul 2009 10:54 am
caverD3

Did anything come of the company that was going to make stronger CV joints?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #50036627th Jul 2009 12:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >