DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension & Sand
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
JR

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Suspension & Sand

Hi everyone.

I have a TDV6 SE. When playing in the dunes, where I require momentum, the car threatens (at 40km/h) to lower to normal height if I don't slow down!

When I don't slow down, the car carries through with the threat (at 50km/h) and drops to normal height, messing with the urgently required ground clearance! Mad

I've been told this is what D3's do! Is there a way around this?

Cheers

JR

Post #49911323rd Jul 2009 8:13 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Nope - not unless you want to shorten the height sensor rods or something similar .

Post #49914123rd Jul 2009 8:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi JR
If you search on the keywords +lowering +40 etc. , you will see that this discussion goes back to day #1 of D3 ownership Smile it's a Censored , but to date the height sensor rod mod, in various guises, is the only solution. If you have a faultmate you can recalibrate some more height into your system, but there is no easy way to be frank. Many have promised, and I have believed them too, but so far no solution except for matzkers very expensive one

Post #49916123rd Jul 2009 9:08 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Four prototypes out there at moment about to test system under arduous conditions, including a RRS. System works well just needs to be abused. Wink
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #49939024th Jul 2009 1:13 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

And my kidney has grown back and I'm allowed at the blood bank again Laughing

Post #49942924th Jul 2009 3:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JR

caverD3 wrote:
Four prototypes out there at moment

I'm assuming these are aftermarket products. Do you know who the manufacturers / suppliers are?

Post #49943824th Jul 2009 4:13 pm
caverD3

One product on four vehicles, three of then will be doing the Simpson Desert. Very Happy
Should be available as a kit. Just discovered the MY09 has no deleated the bung in the air tank, so re-design necessary. Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #49966225th Jul 2009 1:12 am
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

So this is something more than just shorter rods for the height sensors, pray tell us more.
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #49966725th Jul 2009 3:42 am
caverD3

It is shortened rods (sort of) just does it on demand. Also gives ability to use the air from the tank to pump up your tyres. Very Happy

Can't say where to get yet as I will fall foul of the mods also still prototype stage at the moment so until we are sure it will stand abuse it will not be released.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #49966825th Jul 2009 4:23 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Well Caver, you know we are interested once you are ready to go commercial 8)

If it works in the Simpson, it might just hold up in the quarry Smile

Post #49967025th Jul 2009 5:57 am
JR

caverD3 wrote:
Just discovered the MY09 has no deleated the bung in the air tank, so re-design necessary

Say what Question

Post #49968325th Jul 2009 7:42 am
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds interesting Thumbs Up

I'm glad to hear that you are giving the prototypes a good thrashing before going to market as too many good ideas have been marketed before being abused.

All the best for those in the Simpson, I hope they come out smiling Very Happy
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #49968525th Jul 2009 7:50 am
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

Boys,
I think I have a solution that works. I bought a set of adjustable link rods made by David Badillo in the USA. The rods seem well made, are easy to fit and adjust. Since fitting, I have not removed them (4 months or so now), have done plenty of off-road work on gravel, rock and sand and even more on-road work I'm sad to say.
The suspension system is not throwing up any errors or other problems. Bearing in mind I've been using the car in air temperatures of 40+C for the last 3 months, and my LR3 runs with 2 spares on a Kaymar steel rear bumper, front ARB steel bumper and Warn Winch, Front runner rack loaded with transit bags all the time (keeps the heat off the car) AND a LongRanger 115 litre auxiliary fuel tank where the orginal spare was and you'll appreciate my suspension system is having to cope with a high load, high temps and lots of movement on the rough stuff.
The 'attacking the foot of the dunes at speed' problem is no longer an issue as the car now rides at off-road height all of the time for normal driving, but is in road mode as far as the switch and computers are concerned. Thus you can approach the dune at a sufficient speed to maintain momentum without fear of the suspension lowering at the crucial moment. Setting the swtich to access mode lowers the car to normal road height (well almost with the Coopers I've got on!), and setting to off-road height gives a further 25 - 30mm height, again with no discernible ill effects - to date.
The effect of the shortened link rods (mine are set to 9mm shorter than standard) gives around 32mm additional ride height.
I am also running 18" rims with Cooper STT 275x65s which gives a further 25mm lift over the standard 255x55x19s fitted to the V8. It also widens the tyre width for a better footprint.
David Badillo's rods retail at US$ 269 including posting and he can be contacted on d3rover@comcast.net
The ONLY drawback I've encountered is when changing wheels and tyres. It's important to jack up one wheel at a time and when the wheel has been changed and is back on the ground, to start the car up and reset the suspension by going to normal road height again, before jacking up another wheel. Failing to do this will upset the suspension computer and put it into limp-home mode - not comfortable!!

Post #49976025th Jul 2009 3:25 pm
JR

Hi Rhffgb.

Have I understood it correctly, that you now only have two suspension settings after fitting the David Badillo rods:
a) Normal = off-road height
b) Access = normal height

This being so, what happens if you sellect off-road height?

Post #49982125th Jul 2009 8:32 pm
caverD3

Basically the Davids rods are just shortened rods, you can just adjust them to whatever length you want. It just moves the suspension settings up by the amount you choose. So off road height will be just below extended height. You also should get a wheel alignment done at the new height.
Difference between normal and off road is normally 50mm mine does an extra 40mmm. With the rods shortened it can cause the sensor to go out of range when the supension becomes fully extended giving supension fault messages. I have not tried to put it in super extended, but I am sure it would be out of range.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #49992626th Jul 2009 1:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >