Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Swirly Paint Finish on New Car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gavmurray

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Swirly Paint Finish on New Car

Collected new 06, TDV6, HSE in Buckingham Blue a couple of weeks ago. Coolected from inside dealership as it was dark outside. Car looked great. Next morning was a bright sunny day. In the bright sun the paint finish looked bad. It looked like the car had been cleaned and polished with dirty cloths once a week for 18 months. Panels are covered in big swirls. Some are in large circles. Others are more straight lined or follow the cut of a panel. Around a wheel for example. I'm talking to Marshalls in Peterborough about rejecting the car. We are waiting for someone from LR to come and take a look at it. Marshalls say that it must be a production issue and that dark colured cars look like that. Small marks yes but not like this on a new car. I've had lots of dark new cars (BMW's) and have never seen this issue before. Just been looking at Merc, Volvo, Jag etc. and their dark colours all look fine. Other cars at the dealership were all showing similar marks. Both Disco's and RR's. Maybe the problem is part of the dealers cleaning processes. Supagard was applied.
Has anyone else had the same problems with there paint finishes.
 Gavin.
06, D3 TDV6 HSE, Buck Blue 

Post #2832717th Nov 2005 2:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
allie

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I also have the Buckingham Blue, the finish is great no problems at all.
 Allie

A11 EEY 

Post #2833017th Nov 2005 2:42 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

allie wrote:

Me too - no probs either
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #2833117th Nov 2005 3:17 pm
lawman

KL wrote:
allie wrote:

Me too - no probs either

Mine is dark - Tonga Green and no problems either. Sounds like a polishing error. The slightest bit of dust or a dirty cloth will mark the finish. Swirls are probably the result of a disc polisher.

Post #2833517th Nov 2005 4:24 pm
BN

England 
Re: Swirly Paint Finish on New Car

gavmurray wrote:
Collected new 06, TDV6, HSE in Buckingham Blue a couple of weeks ago. Coolected from inside dealership as it was dark outside. Car looked great. Next morning was a bright sunny day. In the bright sun the paint finish looked bad. It looked like the car had been cleaned and polished with dirty cloths once a week for 18 months. Panels are covered in big swirls. Some are in large circles. Others are more straight lined or follow the cut of a panel. Around a wheel for example. I'm talking to Marshalls in Peterborough about rejecting the car. We are waiting for someone from LR to come and take a look at it. Marshalls say that it must be a production issue and that dark colured cars look like that. Small marks yes but not like this on a new car. I've had lots of dark new cars (BMW's) and have never seen this issue before. Just been looking at Merc, Volvo, Jag etc. and their dark colours all look fine. Other cars at the dealership were all showing similar marks. Both Disco's and RR's. Maybe the problem is part of the dealers cleaning processes. Supagard was applied.

My car looks like a whirly paint project in the bright sunshine as it is black. Otherwise it is fine. Funny though same dealer, who I find fantastic. Never seen the guy use a power tool to clean any of the new cars either ???????

Post #2833717th Nov 2005 4:34 pm
lawman

BN wrote:
gavmurray wrote:

My car looks like a whirly paint project in the bright sunshine as it is black. Otherwise it is fine. Funny though same dealer, who I find fantastic. Never seen the guy use a power tool to clean any of the new cars either ???????

Maybe the car was specially power 'cleaned' before the extra finish was applied. Would be worth an anonymous call to find out the process for applying the Supaguard before tackling LR on whether the car can be rejected.

Post #2834117th Nov 2005 4:45 pm
lawman

Martin, if I post from my office the submit bit hangs sometimes with a blank screen and when I hit refresh it ends up double posting. Any tips to avoid this please and how to delete the extra entry?

Post #2834317th Nov 2005 4:52 pm
BN

England 

lawman wrote:
BN wrote:
gavmurray wrote:

Maybe the car was specially power 'cleaned' before the extra finish was applied. Would be worth an anonymous call to find out the process for applying the Supaguard before tackling LR on whether the car can be rejected.

Thats also interesting because the superguard is hand applied, not machine for sure. Maybe it is the guy just doing it properly in circular motion.

Post #2834517th Nov 2005 5:30 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I Have got buckingham blue, no problems with it.

I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to the paintwork, to my annoyance the dealer managed to get polish on quite a few bits of the vinyl, which of course they mask with vinyl treatment (fine until it wears off!)
Sounds to me as if they have possibly used a second hand Supagard pad have seen this at a dealership myself or even just poor quality cloths can cause bad swirl marks in dark colours.
Next time I get a new car I am going to ask the dealer just to wash it in the PDI and leave the rest to me.
I use an American polish system called Zaino which is great, the best I have found so far.
I have used Supagard and Diamond brite in the past, they are both good but not as good as Zaino.

If you are ever over by Melton Mowbray Gavmurray give me a shout and you can compare the paint finish (more amo for your dispute) PM me with any Qs and I will try and help.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #2838217th Nov 2005 9:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thats also interesting because the superguard is hand applied, not machine for sure. Maybe it is the guy just doing it properly in circular motion.[/quote]

A lot of top polishes don't recommend circular motions for darker colours because of the swirl marks problem.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #2838517th Nov 2005 9:42 pm
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I rejected my Buckingham Blue one as it looked like someone had hammerited it. The dealer was ok about it and the guy from the factory was ok as well.

Post #2839317th Nov 2005 10:44 pm
gavmurray

scorpio wrote:
I rejected my Buckingham Blue one as it looked like someone had hammerited it. The dealer was ok about it and the guy from the factory was ok as well.

When you say hammerited, do you mean the paint finish was what they call "orange peel"? Noticed that mine looks "orange peel" also.
 Gavin.

Post #2844418th Nov 2005 3:20 pm
gavmurray

BN wrote:
gavmurray wrote:

When you say same dealer, do you mean Marshall Land Rover in Peterborough? When did you get yours?
 Gavin.

Post #2844518th Nov 2005 3:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >