Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Synthetic Winch Line - What rating??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CFB

United Kingdom 
Synthetic Winch Line - What rating??

Does anyone know if there are simple guidelines regarding winch line SWL's (Safe Working Limits)?

I have ordered a synthetic line to replace the steel cable and have been told the SWL is 7000kgs which I assumed to be plenty as most of my strops and shackles are rated to this much. However another source has told me that I should be looking at a line with at least 10000kgs SWL.

Anyone know how to calculate such things? Assume a lot depends on the use of the winch and whether snatch blocks are deployed etc etc
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #3854439th Dec 2008 6:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

SWL = Safe Working Load Thumbs Up

12mm thick synthetic rope should be OK. But then again I witnessed 4 12mm thick synthetics break Shocked this weekend at Santa's and they were attached to light challenge trucks not a 2.7 tonne D3
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #3854469th Dec 2008 6:12 pm
UNG

United Kingdom 

With regard to SWL's some are quoted as pull loads and some are quoted as lifting loads it may be worth checking what they are quoting.

Lifting equipment used in winching situations can be used above it's rated load as it has a large safety margin for lifting use

As for snapping plasma's it all depends how much maintenance and abuse you give it IMO
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #3854729th Dec 2008 6:35 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Oops my mistake, cheers Andrew.

The rope I have is 10mm, will have to try it and see how it fares. Won't be doing any seriously difficult recovery work but need to know it is at least suitable for most situations.
Post #3854749th Dec 2008 6:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

UNG wrote:
how much maintenance and abuse you give it IMO

Thumbs Up same with all equipment I suppose Thumbs Up
Post #3854909th Dec 2008 6:49 pm
Non Stick Nick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Synthetic Ropes

Hi,
Products rated for lifting normally have a SWL figure (Safe Working Load) displayed on them on normally near the eye at one end.
There should also be a SF (safety factor) indication in the same place, normally 7:1

Thus a pruprle strap SWL 1000k & SF of 7:1 is acceptable for pulling applications on a D3 depending how it is rigged.

In a straight pull the SWL & SF apply, when doubled up these figures can be doubled.

However there are certain rigging set ups that lessen the standad figures. The most common of these is when the strap is used as a "choker". This lessens the standard figures by about 25%

Straps that are not rated for lifting would normally display a minimum breaking strain. This figure
is the load that one should expect to be able to put on the equipment without a failure.

Getting back to your winch cable , your supplier should be able to specify the minimum breaking strain of the cable. If he can't then I wold be dubious about the product.

Hope this helps.

Non Stick Nick
 I am a hob nobber.  
Post #3855029th Dec 2008 7:23 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

What's the rating of your winch? the rope should not be less than that, if you intend to use it for 3rd party recovery, stick with the steel!

Post #3856059th Dec 2008 9:40 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Winch is rated at 9500lbs which is 4310 kilos, rope is Dyneema 60 which is rate at 7000kgs so should be fine I reckon.
Post #3856089th Dec 2008 9:47 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

CFB wrote:
Winch is rated at 9500lbs which is 4310 kilos, rope is Dyneema 60 which is rate at 7000kgs so should be fine I reckon.

Until your winch drum gets hot and melts the rope Big Cry
Post #3856169th Dec 2008 9:55 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You need a sleeving on it so it dose not melt Land Rover use them at Eastnor we did our winch training with them but you do need to keep an eye on them and wash them to get the grit and muck out
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #3856269th Dec 2008 10:04 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

AndrewS wrote:
But then again I witnessed 4 12mm thick synthetics break Shocked this weekend at Santa's Challenge

Now that wasn't the 12mm synthetic holding up your sexy white stockings then was it Andrew?

Laughing
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #3856479th Dec 2008 10:24 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

It has a protective sleeve on the first few wraps on the drum, also I use a Superwinch EP9 which has a brake on the motor not the drum so it doesn't get too hot Thumbs Up
Post #3856849th Dec 2008 11:12 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

ronp wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
But then again I witnessed 4 12mm thick synthetics break Shocked this weekend at Santa's Challenge

Now that wasn't the 12mm synthetic holding up your sexy white stockings then was it Andrew?

Laughing

So you thought they were sexy did ya Thumbs Up
Post #3857039th Dec 2008 11:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >