DISCO3.CO.UK > General

T max split charge —— Updated
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
T max split charge —— Updated

Hi

May i ask please , when u plug ur CTEK in vis a 12s socket , does ur Aux battery charge at the same time please

Many thks Bow down

Last edited by gstuart on 8th Jan 2020 7:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #21113897th Jan 2020 8:04 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Both batteries will not be charged at the same, main first followed by second.
It all depends on the state of the socket, if it/they are not wired permanent live neither will charge, if they are wired permanently Live the auxiliary battery should charge once the main battery is fully charged but even if it doesn’t It will be charged very soon after the engine is running as the main battery is already fully charged.
I always put my second battery directly on charge via the terminals purely as a boost as the Battery will always be higher charged with a charger than the alternator Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #21114107th Jan 2020 9:08 pm
gstuart

Many thks as always

The 12s socket is wired on numbers 3 and 4 , so indeed when I plug my CTEK the main battery will charge

Have the dual battery gauges in the landy and indeed both charge with the engine running but haven’t seen the aux battery charge with the vehicle off via the battery monitor app via my iPad

Have a brand new main battery as the other one decided to throw a strop , currently have that on charge, know they are normally fully charged but thought if I give it a good charge now can then see how long it lasts before it’s needs charging again

Also noticed the aux battery indication lights on the T max aux side wasn’t lighting up , main lights are working

Know the blue wire is ok on the aux battery

Will wait till the main battery has fully charged , just this minute taken a screen shot of both batteries

If the aux battery doesn’t charge with the engine off I’ll do the same and just charge it direct via the crocodile clips

Haven’t found out yet what voltage the T max is supposed to switch over to the aux battery

Thks so much and always very grateful Bow down

Click image to enlarge

Post #21114217th Jan 2020 10:06 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Don't assume a newly acquired battery is fully charged, only the seller knows how long it's been on the shelf.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #21114327th Jan 2020 10:46 pm
gstuart

Thks, that’s why I thought if i at least charge it I’ll have a good base line of how long with it will last before req another recharge Thumbs Up

Post #21114387th Jan 2020 11:13 pm
gstuart

Hi

Wished to give a quick update , after testing the battery circuit I found that the fuse which i fitted near the aux battery had blown, was only a 40 amp so now fitted a 70 amp

So now with the engine running or using a CTEK via a 12s both batteries charge at the same time

With engine running

Engine at tick over

CTEK plugged in via the 12s socket

Post #21115958th Jan 2020 7:49 pm
gstuart

So with the fuse blown on the aux battery and via the relay I can only assume the aux battery was taking Vdc out of the main battery and therefore causing it to drain a lot quicker

Notice I said assume as I really don’t understand how Whistle

Readings at main battery after bonnet latch linked out and alarmed

After 30x minutes

After fuse was replaced on the aux battery

Apologises as always in advance for the daft questions , many thks Bow down

Post #21116098th Jan 2020 9:05 pm
mallo

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

gstuart wrote:
Many thks as always

The 12s socket is wired on numbers 3 and 4 , so indeed when I plug my CTEK the main battery will charge

Have the dual battery gauges in the landy and indeed both charge with the engine running but haven’t seen the aux battery charge with the vehicle off via the battery monitor app via my iPad

Have a brand new main battery as the other one decided to throw a strop , currently have that on charge, know they are normally fully charged but thought if I give it a good charge now can then see how long it lasts before it’s needs charging again

Also noticed the aux battery indication lights on the T max aux side wasn’t lighting up , main lights are working

Will wait till the main battery has fully charged , just this minute taken a screen shot of both batteries

If the aux battery doesn’t charge with the engine off I’ll do the same and just charge it direct via the crocodile clips

Haven’t found out yet what voltage the T max is supposed to switch over to the aux battery

Click image to enlarge

Hi gstuart

What is driving the display that you are getting on the I-pod/I-pad??
Sorry for the thread hyjack.

Best wishes
Mallo

Post #21117139th Jan 2020 2:58 pm
James W

United Kingdom 
Re: T max split charge —— Updated

gstuart wrote:
Hi

May i ask please , when u plug ur CTEK in vis a 12s socket , does ur Aux battery charge at the same time please

Many thks Bow down

Yes initially, and then it clicks on and off every few minutes once the starter battery is full, and the voltage floats up and around the amount required to energise the solenoid. To reduce wear on the solenoid I just unplug the controller using the white plug that connects it to the loom.

I keep meaning to wire in a normally closed relay to disconnect the sensing wire for the T-Max when the 12S socket is receiving charge but haven't figured it out yet as theoretically the power cable from the 12S socket it would just detect the voltage form the main battery itself anyway, constantly, so need to figure out what I could trigger the relay off.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #21117299th Jan 2020 4:15 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

gstuart wrote:
So with the fuse blown on the aux battery and via the relay I can only assume the aux battery was taking Vdc out of the main battery and therefore causing it to drain a lot quicker

After 30x minutes

Here, are you clamping the cable that feeds the vehicle or the cable that feed the aux battery via the solenoid?

Post #21117309th Jan 2020 4:18 pm
gstuart

mallo wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Many thks as always

Click image to enlarge

Hi gstuart

What is driving the display that you are getting on the I-pod/I-pad??
Sorry for the thread hyjack.

Best wishes
Mallo

Hi Mallo

Not hijacking the thread at all , is an app I found of the apple App Store, costs £9.99, there is a free one if u wish to monitor just one battery k if u search for car battery monitor , enclosed a pic of the 2 x I downloaded

Need to buy a Small battery monitor that u simply connect to the battery

The range is around 10- 15 feet via the Bluetooth

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R4...p;_sacat=0

Hope that helps

Click image to enlarge

Post #21117509th Jan 2020 5:49 pm
gstuart

James W wrote:
gstuart wrote:

After 30x minutes

Here, are you clamping the cable that feeds the vehicle or the cable that feed the aux battery via the solenoid?

Hiya

Am clamping the main battery lead , near the engines fuse box Thumbs Up

Post #21117519th Jan 2020 5:53 pm
gstuart

Re: T max split charge —— Updated

James W wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Hi

Many thks Bow down

Yes initially, and then it clicks on and off every few minutes once the starter battery is full, and the voltage floats up and around the amount required to energise the solenoid. To reduce wear on the solenoid I just unplug the controller using the white plug that connects it to the loom.

I keep meaning to wire in a normally closed relay to disconnect the sensing wire for the T-Max when the 12S socket is receiving charge but haven't figured it out yet as theoretically the power cable from the 12S socket it would just detect the voltage form the main battery itself anyway, constantly, so need to figure out what I could trigger the relay off.

Many thks

All I’ve done is I added a 12s socket and wired it into number 3 and 4

So after testing it all , I realised with the ctek connected via the 12 socket both batteries charge , however unbeknown to be that fuse had popped which then prevented both from charging

Fitted the main / aux Vdc gauge and haven’t noticed any voltage changing or going off, just a constant Vdc slowly adjusting according to what I’m using

When it’s on charge via the CTEK I fitted those battery monitor boxes so can see what the Vdc is on each battery via the app

Hope that helps and many thks as always

Click image to enlarge

Post #21117529th Jan 2020 6:00 pm
gstuart

Just taken a screenshot so can at least now monitor the batteries each day to see how long they last before they req recharging again

Click image to enlarge

Post #21117569th Jan 2020 6:11 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

So with the current drain measured as slightly lower now you've replaced this fuse, it would suggest to me that possibly the two batteries are remaining connected slightly even when they should be physically isolated by the solenoid.

Have you got a device that is wired to both somehow (i.e. wired to both the car's 12v and the aux 12v feed)? Is there any continuity between both positive connections of the battery when the link is 'off' and the negative is disconnected on the aux battery (i.e. is the solenoid sticking slightly?)

Post #21117849th Jan 2020 8:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >