Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Tachograph Fitment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
ryetecman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, just about to take my D3 for it's 2 year calibration, pre may 06 dilibrately so I could have analogue unit, didn't want anyone destroying the interior, so removed the cig ligter ash tray assembly and shoe horned it in there, looks very neat, but had to modify air blower vents behind dash that send air to the rear vents on centre console as they are just too narrow for tacho to fit between. bit of a mission but worth it. If you want more details let me know.

Am I aloud to say waht a ridiculous law this is ?! Rolling with laughter but the fact that it is law and landrover sell a 3.2 tonne vehicle with a 3.5 tonne towing limit (any towing vehicle over 3.5 tonne gross train weight (max car weight + max trailer weight including any potential load) must be fitted with a tacho (with a few exceptions, like farmer going to nearest local market only !). Some one at Landrover ought to have thought this one out ! Rolling Eyes [/code]
 Love landrovers despite all the've thrown at me !  
Post #59385331st Jan 2010 10:49 am
hensoni

United Kingdom 

It's only going to get worse.

Currently, we have some exemptions to the Euro Norm legislation. As us old fogies start dropping off the employment radar, there will be fewer people left who will be able to tow anything greater weight than the kerbweight of the tow vehicle. This has already been enforced for those 'youngsters' who have earn't their licence since 1997.

FWIW, I don't think that anyone should be able to tow anything greater than a 'toy' trailer without undergoing additional training. The number of slugs that we see in the ditches next to the A303 / M5 every summer as the whole nation descends on Cornwall is horrifying. It's usually down to one of four things:

1) slug too heavy for the tow vehicle
2) noseweight
3) tyres on the slug
4) Going too fast downhill

All are easily covered in a day's training course

Post #59391831st Jan 2010 12:57 pm
Kentuckykid69

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Hi ryetecman

Good reading your artical,

Can you tell me where you got yours fitted and how much, we have a D3 also - its a March 2006 and dont really tow anything at present but it might be an idea to have a techo fitted ready.

Many thanks

Post #64760911th May 2010 1:44 pm
Kentuckykid69

Just forgot to say:

We have a D4 & D3, - the D3 is the work horse and hence why I am thinking of having one fitted in it.

I am shopping around for costings at present and value your comments & prices

Post #64761211th May 2010 1:46 pm
hensoni

United Kingdom 

Kentuckykid69, if you are towing for leisure purposes, you don't need provisions for a tacho. The simplest way to think of this is that you only need it if you are towing a trailer and its load "for hire or reward" and the overall train weight (vehicle + trailer + load) exceeds 3.5tonne.
 Club missing my D3  
Post #64761611th May 2010 2:03 pm
Kentuckykid69

Quote:
and the overall train weight (vehicle + trailer + load) exceeds 3.5tonne.

Hi hensoni

Yes I think we would tow over the 3.5 tonnes weight, I am thinking of buying a large boat.

The car weights 2.7tonnes...... trailer 1 tonne ........ boat 2 tonnes ????????

Post #64761911th May 2010 2:08 pm
hensoni

United Kingdom 

Appreciate that, but will you be dragging your boat around the countryside for business?
 Club missing my D3  
Post #64762511th May 2010 2:16 pm
Kentuckykid69

Quote:
Appreciate that, but will you be dragging your boat around the countryside for business?

Hello Mate

Yes very funny......... Razz Razz Razz Razz

I know what you mean but I am thinking whats the point having a DS3 and not been able to tow anything larger than a Halfords micky mouse trailer - might as well go the whole hog.....

Do you know anyone whos fitted it to a DS3 - and how much did they pay?

Appricate any news Bow down

Cheers

kk69

Post #64771611th May 2010 5:24 pm
4-Tech

United Kingdom 

I have a Tacho fitted and can advise or fit one for you. IMHO the best place for it is to sacrifice the next to useless upper glove box and fit it there.
Pretty easy to fit once you have the correct interface etc.

Post #64776311th May 2010 7:06 pm
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Kentucky,
As others have said you dont need one to tow yr boat unless that is yr business. If its not then dont go to the trouble of a tacho just for the sack of it.

Post #64788211th May 2010 10:06 pm
hensoni

United Kingdom 

Banging Head

Tens of thousands of D3s, D2s, D1s and Defenders as well as another 100s of thousands other 'proper' 4WD motors tow heavy trailers with horses, vehicles, boats, garden rubbish, furniture, children (not really - running out of examples...) around the countryside every day of the week WITHOUT A TACHOGRAPH

Because....

It ain't business use.

If you don't tow for business, spend your money somewhere else
 Club missing my D3  
Post #64814712th May 2010 2:30 pm
Kentuckykid69

Hi dantheman

Just had a Tacho fiited - its amazing - Had to spend the money some how - makes to much interest !!!

At least I can tow the boat now to Tenby, saves the choppy seas !!!!

I must say thou on a serious note - the fitters I used really did know what they were doing and its like a factory job - didnt want any monkeys near - but they were 100% great.

Thanks all for writing about this artical really useful info - I would not have known.

Post #65379227th May 2010 2:02 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

sorry have I missed something, did you say the boat IS for business and not for pleasure Shocked

So assuming your D3 and boat is for business purposes and that you use the tacho when towing the boat:

1) What records are you now keeping for when the vehicle is not towing to comply with the Working Time Directive and UK Drivers Tacho Rules - remember if you have a tacho you have to keep records for the past 28 days in the vehicle (me I manually fill in an empty tacho when working in the office/days off)?

2) What are you doing to ensure that the tachographs are being read to ensure you have'nt broken any of the above

3)What due diligence are you doing to ensure you keep the tacho/downloaded records for 1 or 2 years depending on whether you are "self employed" or an employee and that where there may be infringements that some kind of internal system of re-dress is operational within your organisation?

4) Have you checked your driving licence to confirm you've got B+E entitlement (you'll be amazed the amount of drivers who past their tests later only to find they've not got the ability to drive a D3 with a trailer over 750kg up to 3500kg)

5) Have you considered going on the Drivers CPC course regards the training on a digital and analogue tachos/working time directive/uk drivers hours?

6) Have you ordered your "drivers" digital tacho card (regardless of whether its an analogue one fitted) so if you are unable to drive that vehicle due to it being accident damaged or broken down, you can use a vehicle with a digital tacho (by the way you must keep your digital tacho card with you at all times)

7) Have your employers ordered a "company" digital tacho card?

So you thought fitting a tacho was all you needed to do Whistle Whistle

Post #65403527th May 2010 11:14 pm
Commerspec

United Kingdom 

I have had a tacho fitted and it is quite neatly attached to the rear of the central cubby. Very neat job has been carried out however there is a light that when I drive out of scope still seems to light. Its too bright for night time so as the evenings draw in I will need to sort this (marker pen on order)

Appreciate that this may not be exactly as per rules but was fitted by a very reputable firm and has cal stickers in door and somewhere else.

As a bussiness we have an operating licence and associated software so I have the card and car downloaded every month. Biggest problem is trying to remember that in order to comply with Working Time Directive I need to switch to rest and off rest throughout the working day when using trailer, not Ideal when I am working some distance from the vehicle.

Character - Thanks for all the info all very detailed, realise that my machine may not be ideally placed but this is the only failing and I carry a nice bottle of scotlands finest in case pleading does not get me round VOSA.

Kentuckykid - I would have to assume that you sell fish that you catch. You may like your tachco but I dispise every square micron mine, but at least I have a Discovery once again. The rules state "towing for reward and or profit" this includes demos and stuff but interestingly:
If Doris tows her nag around in the back of a box to events for competition ends up out jumping all other nags and susequently wins sterling for this. Doris will then fall under tacho law.
 D4 Commercial June 2010
VW Golf GTI Mk 2
Audi V8 (3.6)
Ransomes Marquis 18" (Briggs) 

Post #69286314th Sep 2010 3:00 pm
mantamad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Ok I just want to be certain, I am going to be buying a Disco3 to tow my rally car to and from events. I am not running a business but my friend who will be also using it now and again to collect cars runs a rally prep firm so do we need to fit a tacho for either use???

Many thanks

Post #69338916th Sep 2010 1:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >