Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Tachograph Fitment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Commerspec

United Kingdom 
Tachograph Fitment

Myself and a collegue require a digital Tachograph fitted so that we can use the discovery to its full potential.
My collegue has a D3 SE and I have on order a D4 Commercial.
There seems to be a limited amount of information available anywhere on this forum and in fact anywhere. Another collegue has had one fitted to a D3 but it was placed in the Uper cubby. This looks very unsightly and in any case would be impossible on a D3 with sat nav and any D4.
Is there anyone out there who has had a Tacho fitted?

We really need to locate a Landrover friendly Tacho fitter.

Any wise words would be much appreciated. I can't really believe that Landrover have not considered this. Most manufacturers of the lesser pick up type vehicles offer tachos as factory fit. [/size][/size]

Post #58149414th Jan 2010 7:19 pm
SHARKYSHARKS

England 

Why do you wanty one do you tow above 3.5 Tonne for your business Question
 MY18 D5 HSE LUX😎
MY12 Freelander SD4 HSE
44 Tonne 12 Litre 6x2 Scania T cab (Current)
Freelander 1 (Wrote off 😫)
Ex D1
Ex D2 GS
Ex V8 D2 GS
Ex D3 S
Ex D4 GS
Club skip ya lockers !!!
Club BAS remote heater !!
Club Duratrac
Club Phillips DRL
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 1
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 2
Club Sankey
Club RLD spare wheel protector

Post #58149614th Jan 2010 7:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

drop character a PM.

there was a detailed thread sometime ago on tachos - do a search and you should find it Thumbs Up

EDIT :

here you go Thumbs Up http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic34499.html?highlight=tacho
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #58149914th Jan 2010 7:28 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

This post may be of use to you....
 The End  
Post #58150014th Jan 2010 7:31 pm
Commerspec

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the info, thats a big list but I would not expect all of these tacho fitters to have fitted to D3. Really do not want a random technician let loose on my dashboard with a drill and a box of self tappers.
I have had various reports and some say that the tacho needs to be in view of the driver.

Anyone had a digital tacho fitted nicely?

Post #58235015th Jan 2010 8:57 pm
neil

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yep as DiscoDunc says get hold of Character - he's been there and done it Thumbs Up

Post #58240015th Jan 2010 9:50 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Try this one then, or maybe just call some of the approved fitters and ask them what the options are
 The End  
Post #58253616th Jan 2010 2:45 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

evening all, just back from scotland so appologies for not adding me two penith worth Shocked

Simple answer:
D3 pre 1st May 06, analogue tacho,
D3 registered after 1st May 06, law says digital not analogue - answer NO CAN DO!
D4 (2010)/FFRR/RRS Digital Tacho - Yes wiring harnass to carry signal electronically - already installed

Fitment of tacho - Should be in a position whereby it is "easy to be reached by the driver and is visible" so fitting under a seat/passenger glovebox/in the centre cubby whole - NO CAN DO!

My D3, Nov 05/55 so analogue fitted to centre of dashboard where a sat Nav screen should have gone Thumbs Up

Re your mans fitting of a tacho on his D3, I assume it was not fitted by a VOSA centre as they would not have been allowed to fit it there, as per my comments above, as a concequence may not have the legal 2 year "calibration" sticker attached to the inside of his D3. If I'm right, he's illegal Shocked

Re your future D4 commercial, untick sat nav as an option or get rid of your radio/cd player Big Cry

Mine lifted from me D2 and then re-fitted to me D3 by Rigor Commercials, Swindon (Vosa centre) and going in on Monday at 6.00am to re-new the calibration certificate now that it been in 2 years Whistle

Post #58297916th Jan 2010 9:48 pm
hensoni

United Kingdom 

Quote:
do you tow above 3.5 Tonne for your business

The 3.5tonne limit includes the declared kerbweight of the tow vehicle. With the disco weighing in at 2.7tonne (give or take an option pack...), any trailer over 750kg being towed for hire or reward, you're up into tacho territory.

Staggered by the revelation that a later D3 won't take a digital tacho. What bunch of muppets designed this vehicle? Banging Head !

Post #58322717th Jan 2010 12:37 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Same muppet that thought an electronic park break on a proper offroad vehicle was a good idea??? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Post #58323917th Jan 2010 1:04 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

character wrote:
D3 registered after 1st May 06, law says digital not analogue - answer NO CAN DO!
TLO's post here suggest that that may no longer be the case

character wrote:
Re your future D4 commercial, untick sat nav as an option or get rid of your radio/cd player
All D4's have a screen of some sort in the centre console and the head unit is integrated so neither is an option. Presumably a tacho would need to be mounted on a bracket of some sort The End  
Post #58324717th Jan 2010 1:17 pm
character

Slimer, those are just authorised installers/siemens VDO outlets (including the place where mine was done), if you recall, last year when I took sometime to delve in to it, spoke to Seimen/VDO who were going to do a retro-fit kit for D3's etc registered from 1st May onwards, given the economic climate, it is my understanding that they have shelved the idea Thumbs Up

The EU legislation had been amended around 12 months ago meaning that the "signal" does not have to come from the gearbox or similar, but electronically hence the new wiring loop on all MY 2010.

So long and short, either get a pre 1/5/06 D3 base spec without sat nav screen OR a new D4 Shocked

Post #58360817th Jan 2010 11:12 pm
character

NEWSFLASH ++++++NEWSFLASH +++++++++ NEWSFLASH

As mentioned, took the old girl in to have the tacho 2 year calibration at 6.00am today, there's good news and bad news!!

Good news, yep there does exist the adaption for a digital tacho to run on D3 post 1/05/06 >

Bads news, still a case of fitting it to the centre screen area Big Cry

Post #58412418th Jan 2010 6:57 pm
Commerspec

United Kingdom 

There is a fitting kit available for D3 due to I believe a change in the speed signal source.

Further work has found that there are registered centres that will fit digital tachos to D3 with sat nav and D4 in three positions.
1) Drivers door bin
2) Passenger footwell
3) Centre of roof behind interior light.

I don't like the idea of having it anywhere however in order to make the vehicle legal to tow over 750 kgs for commercial gain it is vital. Also it took me long enough to convince my employer I needed this type of vehicle for towing, I would certainly look a fool if I could only tow a trailer tent.

Post #59169727th Jan 2010 11:22 pm
character

as mentioned above, agreed there now is but my advice before you shell out the monies is speak to a Vosa inforcement officer or local VOSA test centre regards where you put it. IMO the roof mounted position would be best as its likely that a cosmetically pleasing outer shrowd in a similar colour to the roof lining can be fitted like they do in the lorries. Not sure about the door pocket as its has to be "easily seen" by the driver and from what I remember, there may be a reson for it lying flat Thumbs Up

May I ask what it is you are using the D3 to pull as within the Road Traffic Act there are a few exceptions and inclusions that might mean you don't need one or that you may need an "operators licence" as well as the tacho Shocked

Post #59181128th Jan 2010 1:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >