Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tailgate not opening on emergency buttons
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
nhollandsmith

Poland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Tailgate not opening on emergency buttons

Really frustrating when can’t get into the boot.

Seems to happen during the summer.

Even the emergency two button hold on dash not unlatching the lock.

Can hear something happening but no release.

The door will open first time sometimes but the moment more on luck.

Also gear selector not showing red in R and D only in P.

Are these problems connected?

Post #207110225th Jul 2019 3:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Theres a thread on how to get the boot panel off and the door open somewhere on this site. I followed it when i had tge same issue.

Post #207112625th Jul 2019 4:42 pm
RSW

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I have just had this myself, thought the wife was going mad at first as she was saying the boot wouldn't open and every time I tried it did no problem. Laughing

Turns out I was doing it first thing in the morning and it was cold, as the days have been getting warmer and the car sat in the sun it then won't open.

Tried to clean the lock mechanism and that helped a bit but a new motor is the proper fix, you just need to get the door open first.

Try it when it is cold first thing and with the engine running, bit more voltage helps, if you press the buttons too much it will cut out anyway and won't even try.

I used eBay item number: eBay Item No. 333241920751

This is the post you need if you can't get it open
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/tailgate-la...99648.html

good luck

Post #207129326th Jul 2019 7:58 am
nhollandsmith

Brilliant help thanks very.

Post #207135526th Jul 2019 12:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nhollandsmith

End of cable hook cracked

Just taken actuator out only to find the metal hook on the cable just about hanging on😕 I spotted somewhere that this is the common problem. Is it possible to solder or lightly weld or do I need change the cable also?

Post #207557212th Aug 2019 6:54 pm
RSW

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Have a look at this thread, towards the end
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/upper-tailg...gate+cable

Post #207564113th Aug 2019 7:14 am
nhollandsmith

Managed to remove the original actuator after removing the thick sticky covering.

Took alot of effort to remove the cable from the end of the unit, once out noticed the metal hook was split but still holding on.

Have put two zip cables around the new replacement actuator to hold the cable in place and reinstalled minus the sticky covering.

Plugged in and now works fine.

So a combination of the cable hook and the actuator was the problem.

Should I replace the sticky waterproof cover????

Need some new screws for the lower panel trim around the switch.

Not having a fully functional boot was really frustrating.

Post #207577213th Aug 2019 3:39 pm
Daf

About 6 years ago I did the Ikea spanner fix and since then all my wardrobes have fallen down.

No. Not really.

However I did repair this 6 years ago using an electrical block connector and an Ikea spanner and everything has been fine since. However, at the moment, the tailgate lock does nothing. No sound from the actuator at all. If I press both lock and unlock buttons simultaneously on the dash then I can hear the actuator and lock releasing the door but it only let's it out so there's a small gap and it's stuck on the safety/second position call it what you will. I suspect If I get someone to press the buttons at the same time I'm pushing the door from the inside then it should pop open?

So, it seems to me that the lock on the tailgate door has failed because nothing happens. Then inside the door, either the cable has stretched or the actuator is on it's last legs. Is this just a case of buying the switch, actuator and cable and doing the lot? Ebay seems to have switches for £12 and actuator and cable kits for £30. Not too bad.

It's an S model, 05 plate and black in colour!

Post #212378125th Feb 2020 3:54 pm
Sea Raider

Last week I had a problem trying to open the tailgate. Press the handle and nothing

Press the 2 buttons on the dash whilst another person pressed the handle and the tailgate opened.
In the handle on the top tailgate is a small microswitch that is prone to water ingress through the top of the tailgate handle.
As a stop gap, I removed the entire handle off my scrap D3 and swapped them ove, all good.
Took the non functioning handle apart and found after removing the rubber cover there was a lot of corrosion inside, testing of the 2 microswitch wires revealed an open circuit.

I took the gamble and ordered 1 of these from Ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Tailgate-Re...2749.l2649

arrived within a few days but when I compared the multiplug, it was seen to be an entirely different shape, although the wiring is the same. I was refunded for the switch and told to keep it, so removed the wires and used the existing plug from the old switch.
rebuilt and all good again.

Post #212378425th Feb 2020 4:02 pm
nhollandsmith

I had to replace all parts in the end. The cable ties did a short term fix but the hook ended up completely giving up.

Now all good for a few months now.

Can’t replace the sealed cover for the tailgate as had to cut hi gain access to the switches.

Easy job to do myself🎚

Post #212401926th Feb 2020 5:18 pm
Daf

My daughter pressed the dash buttons and I was able to open the boot with a couple of tugs. So, boot switch is definitely defective. I also suspect the actuator may not be pulling the cable fully so when I replace the switch I may remove the boot panel and see how it goes for a couple of weeks.

Post #212410726th Feb 2020 10:29 pm
Daf

So, I replaced the tailgate switch (one of the cheap snip two cables and replace variety) and it worked. Well, once! Sometimes it engaged the actuator other times it seemed dead. I used a multimeter on the switch to carry out a continuity test and that seemed fine. Click the switch and the numbers changed!

Now, if I get someone to press the two dash buttons while I activate the lock I can get the boot open most of the time! Sometimes it sticks on the "second setting" where the tailgate is loose but still shut. A couple of shakes of the tailgate, while pressing the dash buttons again and tailgate lock opens it.

Given that I did the Ikea spanner trick 6 years ago I'm wondering whether there is some play in the system, where the actual lock isnt being opened fully by the actuator or the actuator is a bit weak? What concerns me is the intermittent behaviour of the tailgate switch. I would expect it to turn on the actuator each time but I don't hear the click soetimes?

So current plan is to buy a new actuator and lock off eBay. I think it may be the actuator but given the "temporary Ikea fix" on the latch cable I may as well swap that if I'm pulling the whole thing apart.

Post #21251922nd Mar 2020 12:26 pm
Ben4

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Think I have a new, in the box still, lower lock mechanism / actuator if anyone needs one. I bought it from one of the forum sponsors just in case when I was following a fault and thought I had sent it back, but didn't!
Can't remember how much I paid for it, but if someone needs it then you can have it less than it costs to buy the new one Thumbs Up
 formerly Disco3Ben

2016 D4, Santorini Black
2007 D3, Black - sold 

Post #21252072nd Mar 2020 1:51 pm
Daf

This is getting funnier!

Parts arrived so I fitted a new actuator and lock. Upper tailgate now opens like a dream. However, before re-fitting the back panel and plastic frame I thought I'd test the opening of the lower tailgate, but that has now stopped working. It worked fine when I dropped the lower tailgate to start work on it. However, now, each time I press the white button, nothing happens? What have I disturbed? I re-connected the power block for the actuator and power block for the lock, so have I clipped, pulled some other cable by mistake while fiddling? IT has to be something I've done today as it was working fine before I started the work for the upper tailgate mechanism!

Post #21262547th Mar 2020 3:01 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Try locking and unlock the doors or do a hard reset, sometimes the electronics get messed up where the buttons keep getting pressed.

Post #21262607th Mar 2020 3:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >