Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tailgate stuck !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Local Indy for a new actuator/cable they also replaced the carpet trim as its cheap and easier to cut it off.

£150 all in......

Post #81883019th Jul 2011 8:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
StephenO

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

looks like a trip to the stealers!!

Cheers Thumbs Up
 2016 RR Sport Autobiography

Zambezi Silver 2005 D3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 300Tdi Coniston Green
1968 Series 2a SWB Bronze Green 

Post #81883919th Jul 2011 8:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi StephenO

If a manual override is performed, by pressing and holding both the lock and unlock buttons on the dash for 15 seconds, and the upper tailgate is pulled back as the latch clicks can the upper tailgate be opened?  

Post #81920520th Jul 2011 11:05 pm
StephenO

Zig,

I've tried the manual override, never pressed it for as long as 15 seconds but I could hear it trying to unlock but I still couldn't get it open.

I'll try it again in the morning and hold it a bit longer.

Cheers

StephenO Thumbs Up

Post #81920820th Jul 2011 11:26 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

StephenO

The fault usually lies in the actuator cable in the lower tailgate or the switch in the upper tailgate.

The best way to establish if it is likely to be the switch in the upper tailgate, is to do a manual override, by pressing and holding both the lock and unlock buttons on the dash for 15 seconds and pulling the upper tailgate back by the handle and seeing if when the actuator clicks the upper tailgate opens (you will probably need someone to help you with this or come up with some arrange to put pressure on the handle while you are pressing the buttons on the dash).

If you are not able to open the upper tailgate using this technique, then the problem probably is with the actuator cable (see earlier posts in this string as to how to fix).

If you are able to open the upper tailgate using this technique. Then the problem is probably the switch in the upper tailgate. To remove the switch you just pull the rubber cover off and prise out the switch, without the rubber cover it is a loose fit and is held by plastic bards at the two ends. This can be done with tailgate closed.

You may find that you are able to clean the switch (the contact plate that contacts the microswitch may be stuck). However, the part number of a new switch is YUZ500020 or YUZ500030 (both number were on the one I removed) which costs approximately £20. .

You should find the following images from rrsport.co.uk helpful:

Post #81933921st Jul 2011 1:23 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks Zig, mine failed yesterday (release by two buttons was fine), but is OK today. Looks like I'll give that a go & at least clean it up Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #81934321st Jul 2011 1:30 pm
StephenO

Thanks Zig,

Still not working, I did however take the handle out and give it a spray with WD40. Mines doesn't look like the same type as your photo, mines doesn't have a connecter to disconnect it from the loom, so couldnt take it fully out.
Sad Sad Sad

Post #81957821st Jul 2011 11:18 pm
sunnyspells

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

So mine failed to open today for the first time. I can hear the mechanism but it doesn't unlock.

Trouble is Ive just loaded up a washing machine which could make access to the tailgate interior almost impossible Shocked

We'll see how the dealer gets on with it

Post #10481813rd Feb 2013 6:04 pm
drw58

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Boot lid won't open

Hi I had exactly the same problem a fortnight ago, this is a perfectly manageable DIY repair you do need to use some force to get access to the actuator where the cable as in previous post will almost certainly be broken at the elbow, don't be alarmed there is a good bit of play in the plastic covering the lower tailgate carpet trim.
I used a short pry bar and a broad masonary chisel which spread the pressure, along with a big screw driver to encourage the carpet panel to come out.
A good tip I got somewhere was then to use a couple of tennis balls to keep the carpet panel away from the tailgate giving your hands a bit more room to move about without shredding skin.
I had one sent from Duckworths in a couple of days, £31 including postage.
The most dificult part of the process for me was disconnecting the old cable as it enters the actuator housing,but on the basis that it was Censored anyway I took a saw blade to the plastic to loosen it off a bit before pushing it out of the metal housing.
After that pulling the broken end of the cable opened the upper tailgate Very Happy
Straight forward replacement process, then re assembly.
I have a previous post on the Forum wher other members kindly provided links and vids to assist.
I don't know how to link you to it but if I can I will.
Good Luck DRW
 I built a garage for my Mini
With a place for everything and everthing in its place.
Ten years down the line there's a Mini in there somewhere, and Censored all's where it should be!!!! Ho hum 

Post #10483713rd Feb 2013 9:31 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

These have been great trim tools and incredibly strong:

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #10483803rd Feb 2013 9:44 pm
sunnyspells

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The wife got it back from Hunters in Guildford today and it's fixed apparently. I'll have a good look tonight when I get home and unload the washing machine. Now there is no excuse not to fit it!!

Post #10507787th Feb 2013 4:46 pm
HammersnBlades

Portugal 
Rear Tail Gate Failure (Upper Hatch)

Having Driven from the Algarve to Seville to Collect an Antique Spanish Door, I was Megga Stressed to find that the Top Hatch would not open........... Shocked Censored
Fortunately I am very good at diversification when it comes to ANYTHING! I resorted to Disco3.co.uk on my iPad and informed myself as to the issue and set about repairing it.
It took me 30 minutes all done and dusted, My Toolbox had everything I needed to open the panel (One Screwdriver) a 10 mm Socket & wrench, PozyDrive, Stanley Blade, Wire 2.5 Copper (minus insulation) I had the added advantage of an ICE Cold Beer from a Local Spanish Restaurant (Calmed me Down a Treat)

Turned out the little "L" shaped connector had broken as in previous posts and so all I did was to wire the remaining bit back on to the actuator connection, I did it in a way that I am sure will last the life time of the Vehicle. (That's not Beer talking either)

Reassembled and Loaded Up. I can't imagine what I would have paid at the local LR Garage in Seville if I had taken it in......

Great Site for DIY Repair info, cost me € 0.00 to repair and made me feel like a Super Hero infront of the onlookers.

Tip: It pays to keep your toys in the pram and inform yourself asap (with a Beer or several)

Post #108824514th Apr 2013 10:47 pm
blue200tdi

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Why not just buy the right tools rather than resort to butchering a very expensive car? Tools can be very inexpensive and once you have them you'll have them for life. Very Happy

For example, the one's that Robbie has pictured are less than £20.

Just my two penneth. Mr. Green
 You guys are gonna be busier than a test bench in a plunger factory!
Java black 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE AUTO.
2014 Kawasaki ZZR1400 Performance sport. 

Post #108825914th Apr 2013 11:25 pm
HammersnBlades

Portugal 

The point I was making is that I managed to repair this issue some 300 km away from Home with the aid of the info on this site, with what I had in my tool box. If I was at home when it happened I would have had one of my Mechanics sort it out and taken my Hummer H2 instead, as it was too big to go in the back of one of my Defenders.

Blue200tdi, Your comment was not relevant to the posting...........

Post #108828115th Apr 2013 12:19 am
Cookson

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Sorry to drag this old one up.

I have managed to get my tailgate open using the guidance on here, cable end has broken.

Rang Stratstone Nottingham, they told me I cannot buy the cable on its own, it comes with the latch & I will also need 2 plugs, Trim panel & rain shield FFS I only need a cable.

Can I get the cable from somewhere on it's own.

Latch & cable = £54
Rain shield = £12
Trim panel £37
Plugs = £2

Post #113224116th Jul 2013 4:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >