Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Take a read
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
jimbg

United Kingdom 

At the end of the day, this forum seems dedicated to the anti D5 brigade.

If you do not like it that is fine and hope you continue to love your old world vans. Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter

One day I guess you might drive a modern car even if it might not be from Land Rover. Mr. Green

Post #185080124th Aug 2017 8:00 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

It's not dedicated to anything other than the D5 and the positive and negative views on it.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #185081924th Aug 2017 8:36 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Had to follow a D5 at lunchtime today. Visually painful. Thankfully it turned into Hunters.

It's like a real life photoshop that's gone horribly wrong at the rear. The proportions are way off. I'm not anti D5 but something went amiss there.

I'm not qualified to make comments in regards to car design. However if it was a building designed by me I would be hanging my head in shame and considering another career.

Post #185083924th Aug 2017 8:53 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Just reading the twitter posts.

Seems its not just me then.................. Rolling with laughter

Post #185084224th Aug 2017 8:59 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I think the problem is that the D5 is undoubtedly a very good car (though not as good as say a 520d, or an A5, or a C class etc). But it has certainly lost the DNA of Discovery, at least for me (and it would seem many others!). I'd therefore agree with RM; "so very sad to see the Discovery line come to an end in this way Sad "

Love the Twitter comment:
"From all angles its like a bulldog licking Censored off a nettle"

Sad fact is, I'd forgive it looking, er, 'challenging' if there was a purpose to that look. We all love D3 (and 4 if I must) because its form is dictated by purpose and function, but D5 dilutes most of that former capability purely in pursuit of a supposedly fashionable family face, without moving the game forward in any useful measure.
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #185085324th Aug 2017 9:24 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Was amused to read the LR website linked from the original twitter post. The website talks about the design and how they used everyday items to help. One thing they mention is that they used 7 plastic office chairs to help them decide how to layout the seating for the D5. This seems strange to me because I thought they'd figured that out back with the D3, D4, RRS2 and DS. 2 seats at the front, 3 in the middle, 2 at the back. Did they really need to play around with plastic chairs to figure it out? Or is it a little bit of a made up story to make it all seem "fresh" and "innovative"?

Hmmm... Whistle
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #185086424th Aug 2017 9:45 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Red Merle wrote:
It's just so very sad to see the Discovery line come to an end in this way Sad

It hasn't ended. The D5 is a "life style vehicle". It just happens to have been designed for a different life style to that of the D3...

It's funny, there are RR Classic owners who think that the RR died with the P38. There are others that think it died with the L322. Others think the modern one is the nadir of the line. It's normal.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #185086724th Aug 2017 9:51 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Since the launch of the D5, i have only 4 confirmed D5 sightings (back end confirms even when you aren't looking for them). In the same period i have seen the same number of Lamborghini Aventadors in and around Manchester centre.

Maybe i need to get about more around the M40 Mr. Green

Post #185124826th Aug 2017 2:15 am
BrettKaz

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

When I saw the D5 and it's pricing I thought LR would push the 'die hard' end of the Traditional Disco owner plus the upper end of the Defender market towards the new Defender. If they get it right they will only lose the bottom end of the Defender market which they would probably happily succeed to the Asian carmakers.... but capture all the high end Audi and BMW owners with the D5. So I think the bigger question for many of us is what the new Defender will be like ... if they spec it very broadly it might work.

Post #185125426th Aug 2017 5:29 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Red Merle wrote:
It's just so very sad to see the Discovery line come to an end in this way Sad

It hasn't ended. The D5 is a "life style vehicle". It just happens to have been designed for a different life style to that of the D3...

It's funny, there are RR Classic owners who think that the RR died with the P38. There are others that think it died with the L322. Others think the modern one is the nadir of the line. It's normal.

Dont forget the D1 was a lifestyle vehicle, did you ever see the accessory brochure for the D1 and that huuuge rear mount ycle rack?

Post #185125626th Aug 2017 5:51 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I think fundamentally the reason that you see so few D5's (apart from appearing visually bland) is just that of price...
The D1 and D2 offered great innovative vehicles at a realistic price (although shocking build quality) they were family cars that you could easily fill up with sheep at the weekend and not look out of place.
The D3 and D4 succeeded because it was a brilliant design and became renowned as the most practical car that one could own and it was still cost effective when you compared it against its rivals...

The D5 however has now been caught up by the rest of the industry ( think XC90, Merc GL, X5, Kodiak, )
Whilst it is an impressive car it has lost that niche.... then look at the price...

When they first came out I priced one up on the configurator as my D4 ( used as a company car ) had run over 60,000 miles. It was so so expensive once I had optioned it to the spec of my outgoing car it was cheaper for me to buy a RRS Dynamic....which is what I did....

I think the Velar will steal even more customers away from it....it's just not good value anymore! Very Happy

Post #185126026th Aug 2017 7:06 am
J77

Scotland 

The Velar ain't value for money either, almost £60k to get what I've got on the D5 and that's with the 180 2.0 Diesel. I thought LR were mad with the D5 price, but no they topped it, pay FFRR or RRS money for an F-Pace sized car.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #185126326th Aug 2017 7:20 am
MMK

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The new discovery has crossed over from being a practical but comfortable vehicle into the luxury bracket.
Land Rover no longer has a utility workhouse nor a practical/comfortable vehicle in its line up.

All my life we have used series or defenders for work and practical/comfortable LR's for the managers - starting with range rover classics and many discoverys since.

In my opinion Land Rover has lost its 4x4 underpinnings, there is no current LR vehicle that suits our requirements as the whole range is geared towards leisure or luxury buyers.

Post #185127626th Aug 2017 7:52 am
Grianaig

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Just seen nos 6 and 7 since launch this morning. Both in the drab grey that is available. Must be highly visible on a foggy day. Shocked
 2014 MY Discovery XS Indus Silver. Sadly gone. Second last LR of forty eight years continuous ownership.  
Post #185132726th Aug 2017 11:00 am
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Don't for one minute think that the new Defender is going to be any different the Look of LandRover now as they are mostly similar in fashion and price accordingly .

Post #185150426th Aug 2017 8:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >