Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Taking the Plunge, Spending a Load at JE Engineering
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Robm3

2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Taking the Plunge, Spending a Load at JE Engineering

Okay, for those that don't know or can't remember we're emigrating to Sydney next Jan.
I've been in two minds about which cars to take (have a 6 series convertible, Ultima GTR and Disco 3), finally decided to take the 6 series and Disco mainly as NSW driving laws are so rigidly enforced I'd get in serious trouble with the Ultima (it's going to get swapped for a family boat basically). So this means I'm going to commit some cash to the Disco to freshen her up.

In no order I'm looking at getting the following done (at JE Engineering Coventy) and welcome any comments, hints or anyone's experiece:

Brembo Brake upgrade - as I need four new discs and pads and utilising 'Man Logic' I think now would be a good time to upgrade. JE do the RRS brakes for 1,300 odd. Will also get the flexible hoses replaced and new brake fluid at the same time.

JE Power Remap (chip?) - Numbers look good so here I go - anyone had this done from JE?

Towbar - Always used the roof racks for bikes and never needed to tow but now kids bikes are bigger I'm going for rear mount bike rack. Going to get the Removeable tow bar. Also going to start hauling the GTR to trackdays instead of driving it.

Belt Change and Filters - Okay, doesn't need one until 105K (currently on 88K) but I think getting it done is Australia will be more expensive.

Suspension - Ride has become noticeable more 'sloppy', not sure if it's the shocks but will get JE to road test with me. If it's the shocks then I'm going with stock LR units.

Can anyone tell me when the transmission and diff fluid needs changing? Mines five years old now so probably worth doing.

Looking forward to driving it once all the work is done! Hopefully in time for a trip to Nurburging in May towing the Ultima GTR and if that's the case I'll take it for a lap around the ring.

Cheers,
Robin.
 White, poverty spec 4.0v6 model with Black 20inch alloys that previous owner fitted but I kinda like.  
Post #64123026th Apr 2010 2:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Only ever heard good stuff about their work TBH Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #64123426th Apr 2010 2:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AWD man

England 

I've heard good stuff about their mapping, and currently Very GVFM
 57 RRS TDV8
BAS Map
D3: Gone but not forgotten 

Post #64124026th Apr 2010 3:02 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Now dont get me wrong, whats involved in the JE tune................not knocking anybodys work here, but the 1st question you need to ask yourself, especially with tuning the D3 is assistance on the otherside of the world.

If it were me, I would use a company thats local to you when you finally emigrate, it would make sense if any problems arise, at least .

Like I said, just trying to enlighten to logical thinking.

Post #64124226th Apr 2010 3:12 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

How many people do you know that are local to the OP now and will be local when he goes to Aus Mac????
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #64124726th Apr 2010 3:27 pm
essex4x4

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Have heard mixed things about JE and from personal experience, and admittedly a totally different beast but i had the stage 2 tune on my TD5 110, which was meant to give around 190bhp, which maybe it did or didn't but then i didn't like there exhaust system for the defender so went to twisted performance, and whilst i was there they said it seemed a bit flat on power so they remapped it again for me, with noticeable improvements, and then whilst there they noticed that the new larger intercooler that was fitted was only rated to a certain PSI, although i can't remember the actual figure wasn't that much higher in comparison to actual boost from the turbo, so in all i was a bit dissapointed for the near on grand of hard earned dosh i spent really, but thats just my two pence worth and like i say the difference between the TD5 and the TDv6 is huge

HTH
 2011 D4 SDV6 Auto Commercial  
Post #64127026th Apr 2010 4:30 pm
mzplcg

England 

Regarding the brakes, I looked at the Brembo using parts from TLO. (TheLargeOne) His kit came to about 650 quid with an exchange on the calipers. There is no Brembo option for the rears anyway so a standard set should cost less than 200 quid for discs and pads. If you can find a set you could go to V8 rears which are a bit bigger than the TDV6 ones though.

Even if you don't like getting your hands dirty, someone like TFC (TenForCash) would not charge anywhere near the difference on 1300 quid. He could eat a hundred quids worth of bacon butties though from what I hear Bow down

The remap?? I would go with a BAS unit. Can be applied yourself with their magic box and new map files can be emailed. Makes no difference where in the world you happen to be as long as you have a PC near.

Having said that, I have used JE on an older car of mine and their work is outstanding.

Your call.

Dom.

Post #64133226th Apr 2010 6:49 pm
Robm3

2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Thanks for the replies, especially on the brakes. Don't want to throw money away for no reason.
 White, poverty spec 4.0v6 model with Black 20inch alloys that previous owner fitted but I kinda like.  
Post #64174027th Apr 2010 12:39 pm
al cope

England 

just fit the V8 front and rear disks, uses the same calipers and pads, just a different caliper bracket - much cheaper to do, and gives a bit better braking capability. Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #64209628th Apr 2010 8:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >