Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Talk me off the edge..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
dakers

United Kingdom 

Yeah, the Ulez thing is definitely a consideration, equally it seems to be forcing some of the 13/14 plates onto the market too.
I think from a future proof perspective it might be a definite nice-to-have.

Really hadn't looked into PCP, definitely of the old school that if I can't afford it with cash/loan then it was beyond me. If anyone's got any good guidance or anything please let me know too, it might open more doors up. I hadn't considered it would apply to 2nd hand cars either, thought it was more a new car thing to get you trapped into a cycle with a dealer, but maybe that's based on what I'd heard from others experiences.

Post #228097827th Feb 2022 8:00 am
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Woodside Garage are very good, I use them to service/repair/sort out problems with my D4 Thumbs Up

ULEZ is going to be an ever increasing problem unless you decide to get an EV Neutral
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #228102927th Feb 2022 1:21 pm
dakers

United Kingdom 

Ah, good for the reassurance on Woodside. I'll maybe try and get along there very soon and have a chat.

Yeah, no EV this time around. I just saw a fatal flaw in my plan too. All these 16 plates that might look attractive basically need another £1000 mentally slapped on the price to cover the belts that would need doing next year. And there's the risk with the 15 plates being in a similar position where they're being offloaded before being done...

Post #228103727th Feb 2022 1:44 pm
dakers

United Kingdom 

Went and had a look at some lovely Landmarks this morning at Woodside with the Mrs. She was already wanting one before we went. James there seems really nice and could happily do business with him.

Let me know if you've sold one to them recently and there's anything to be aware of.

There was a 15 plate at 79k miles and a couple of 16's at 96 and 102. Definitely very tempted and we discussed maybe doing something in the deal to cover the belt next year so it's not so much of a sting.

Might try and view an XC90 too over the weekend depending on the Mrs work as I want to play devil's advocate in my own head.

Stuff like the surround cameras was nice, but not sure how often they'd get used. I had been favouring a light leather interior but with two kids and a WCS bouncing around in the back probably not the best idea!

Post #22819024th Mar 2022 3:58 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

16 plate will get you an ad-blu model (ULEZ compliant) 65 plate will be the same but best to check… 15 plate will probably be Euro 5 so not compliant
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #22819314th Mar 2022 7:25 pm
seer

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Another thumbs up to Woodside from me.

Seer

Post #22820585th Mar 2022 5:27 pm
dakers

United Kingdom 

Yeah, the guy I spoke to seemed genuinely nice and I'd happily do business with him. I think for me it's just the 16 plate cars are a sitting a smidge too high on mileage than I'm really comfortable with.
Motor Easy seems on the only warranty company I've found that would do an affordable cover on the lower kind of mileage ones there(75k) for example. Trying it on Warranty Direct gives me a quote over £3K!

Post #22820715th Mar 2022 6:39 pm
SB100

I was in a similar situation to you and weighed up a few options, decided I didn’t really want another L322 as I’ve done them to death and I’ve always really liked the shape and look of the Disco 4 and it has a lovely interior and great load space, I also was considering an L405 Range Rover which are really nice inside but I felt like it was a bit too upmarket for throwing stuff in the boot, towing and getting muddy sometimes plus really I wanted to get a Euro 6 so it would have been a budget stretch.
Ended up getting a Euro 6 2.8 D4D Landcruiser and I’ve been very happy with it so far, it doesn’t have the worry of crank issues of the D4 which is what really put me off one in the end, other things like air suspension and belt changes etc really didn’t phase me and I’d have been changing the gearbox oil and giving the car a good once over had I got a D4 so that wasn’t a worry either.
Overall though I’m the first to say I think the D4 is a nicer car, the V6 engine is smoother and noticeably more powerful than the Toyota and the interior is much nicer looking and plusher, it’s a nicer drive.
Not that I think the Landcruiser has a bad interior or engine but there’s more plastic, it just doesn’t feel as special as a D4 and the engine is fine in most driving situations but you do notice it’s a big,gruff 4 pot when you use the kick down.
I know the risk of engine issues is quite small and if it’s something you’re ok with I’d say go for a D4, I wasn’t and picked the Landcruiser and don’t regret it but I do still look at D4s on the road and think what a great looking car.

Post #228314012th Mar 2022 11:18 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I love my XC90. It does pretty well 90% of my old D3/4 but I do miss my Discovery. However, I don't miss the bills and poor reliability! Also, moving to a XC90 from a D4 you realise how old the technology now is in LR.

Have a look at a XC90. Its more car like but they are all EU6 from 2015.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder