Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

TD/SDV6 Failure - Could it be prevented?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SimonLR

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
TD/SDV6 Failure - Could it be prevented?

Hi All - First time posting but I’ve got a little insight I feel need qualifying by others to see if I’m on the right track...

So we all know the issues with the TD/SDV6’s becoming hideously expensive blenders, I have been on the receiving end of this one night on the M6 in my L494. Now this car was under LR warranty and was replaced no issue, I have nothing but praise for the way I was handled and looked after during this by LR..

I’ve recently brought a FLRSH D4 @ 120k for work. it’s due a service and they can’t get me in for another month so I’ve decided to crack on and change the oil and filter knowing full well about the Issues. Now for the interesting bit!

Dropping the oil I only got 2.8ltrs out, horrifying right? Especially as the display has been intermittent between the oil ok and oil level not available when I’ve checked through the dash !

When I also remember LR assist attending the RRS, he checked the dash oil level and it showed OK ( yeah you’ll be fine under warranty if it’s showing ok ) although there was 2 mighty big holes in the block and most of my oil was lane 1 M6 with at least 1ltr painted underneath...

Now I’d love someone with more technical knowledge of the engines to come along and explain how my conspiracy theory is wrong but I’m currently sitting here wondering if there’s owners like me with no warranty sitting on a time bomb because they trust the technology. My IID tool is showing 0.0 measured and 6.8ltrs calculated oil level with exactly the right amount of oil. So the real questions are.

- Why hasn’t a failsafe tripped on the car with these figures
- Is low oil killing cranks and bearings that have inherent weaknesses anyway because owners are unaware they’re driving round with low oil until it eats itself from the inside out.

Could I be right?

Last edited by SimonLR on 27th Jan 2020 7:39 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #211620327th Jan 2020 6:02 pm
MrBrain

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Very interesting observation. I have no idea if you are right - but I want to know more so will watch with interest.

Post #211620527th Jan 2020 6:07 pm
SimonLR

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I’m really interested too! I can’t help feel I might be on the right track for some of the failures. Just hoping one of the experts are along shortly to give us an insight.

I’ve always trusted the oil monitoring system on the car, but if the car is reading 0.0 measured surely it should be lighting the dash up like a Christmas tree. Otherwise if the car has an oil burning phase ( from memory I think it’s 1ltr every 600 miles allowable ) you could very quickly be in trouble and have no idea if the programming doesn’t intervene. I really hope I’m wrong and mine is just having a wobbler...

If not LR have got some awkward questions to answer.

Post #211621827th Jan 2020 6:47 pm
chugga90

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

My D4 is just approaching 142,000miles.
In the three years I have had it usually uses 2 litres of oil between services.
It had 99,000 on it when I got it and is the only vehicle I have had that used oil between services.
It is now in semi retirement and doing 5 to 6 thousand miles a year now, so not sure what oil use will be from now onwards.
Only noticed blue smoke when it has been trundling around and then gets a workout and presumably the second turbo gathering a bit of oil? Only noticed this for the last 8 months or so.
 Discovery commercial tdv6 auto 2013
Volkswagen t6 lwb Kombi dsg 4motion 2018
Volkswagen t5.1 lwb single cab tipper 2013
Discovery commercial sdv6 auto 2014 gone and not really missed.
Range Rover Tdv8 gone
Freelander 2 I6 very sadly gone
VW t5 Dsg gone and missed 

Post #211624727th Jan 2020 8:18 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Remember that the cars with a DPF will also have their oil diluted by fuel. So by people saying they burn no oil, it could be just the fuel replacing the oil.

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #211625427th Jan 2020 8:28 pm
D3Savage

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

This is very interesting ......... I replace my oil between 4 & 5k ....... no oil loss is apparent at 40k. Point being if you rely on the intelligent servicing spanner on dash ........ you could be looking at 16k!!! Then the accuracy of the oil level monitoring - is critical. However, I always thought - that the intelligent oil level meter would warn you of low oil level ... before damage..... but i suppose if they either fail or read inaccurately all this goes out the window. I really think you have hit the nail on the head ....
 MY 2015 Se tec SDV6 auto
Extras added:
Electronic diff
Meridian 17 speaker audio
Cool cubby box
Full size spare
Tow bar
Surround Cameras
Black rear tints
Cosmic grey interior panels 

Post #21182654th Feb 2020 9:54 am
D3Savage

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

Hi does having a dpf mean that fuel is dumped into oil???!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
 MY 2015 Se tec SDV6 auto
Extras added:
Electronic diff
Meridian 17 speaker audio
Cool cubby box
Full size spare
Tow bar
Surround Cameras
Black rear tints
Cosmic grey interior panels 

Post #21182684th Feb 2020 9:56 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

We have started using BG Products, specifically their engine flush and friction reducer

Lots of claims of reduced failures, improved fuel economy, lower internal friction etc

Whether it helps, remains to be seen, but with an engine flush, friction reducer and an injector cleaner, the fuel economy in my Freelander went from 48mpg to 51mpg Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #21182754th Feb 2020 10:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I think Oval may confirm that most of the engines they've had in have the correct (or near to) amount of oil in, obviously when there's a hole in the block, its less obvious.

I would imagine that when paying out for warranty if they can, they measure the amount of oil coming out, if we had similar failures on the trucks, we also had to send a sample of the oil away to see if it had been cooked, or had contamination.
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #21182954th Feb 2020 10:40 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Ive asked Mikey the oil level question before, and he said he does get vehicles in for a service with low amounts of oil coming out of them.

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #21183014th Feb 2020 10:49 am
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

Not a T/SDV6 but I'm now changing my own oil and filter at 6 months i.e. between annual service. A Draper 10L vacuum pump is the dog's Censored Thumbs Up
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #21183644th Feb 2020 1:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >