Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

TDV6 coolant amount
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
GrenobleLandy

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
TDV6 coolant amount

The local indie has just had a busy day sorting my brake lines, transmission sump and also changing the coolant bottle to get rid of the ‘low coolant’ message - all the bits speedily supplied by Advanced Factors Very Happy Thumbs Up

I just went out to the cold car for a short journey and got the low coolant message again... checking the invoice they only put 8 litres of OAT antifreeze in and not the 9 to 13 odd that the book states for the engine.
When I stopped driving and did a visual check there is some in the expansion tank but the level is well below the 2 lines on the side of the bottle.
Also recycled key and this time there was no low message so probably expanded cos it’s warm?

Can I just open the bottle once the engine is cool and put another couple of litres in (same stuff)?
Also I don’t have any so will need to drive to get some - is that ok?

Thanks for your thoughts Idea
 TDV6 HSE AUTO
Defender 90 CSW 

Post #18881198th Dec 2017 10:05 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Well normally you mix the stuff with water but. Not sure of the ratio these days.

1/4 to 1/2 coolant normally.

Try and get garage to top it up if u can

If you can see it in the tank, below the lines it should be fine to drive.

It does take time to settle to get air out

Post #18881258th Dec 2017 10:26 pm
GrenobleLandy

Thanks Pete. I will leave it a while to settle then as there is some visible in the tank. Garage is closed until Monday and I have a bit of running around planned over the weekend due snow forecast.
I might try to buy a pre-mixed bottle of the orange/pink OAT stuff just in case it stays low or the warning persists Thumbs Up
 TDV6 HSE AUTO
Defender 90 CSW 

Post #18881278th Dec 2017 10:34 pm
BrettKaz

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I suggest that the garage may not have tightened hoseclamps which is quite common when you have had work done because there are a lot of them. My clamps were black and on a black hose which is hard to spot.

Not all of the coolant escapes when hoses are pulled off.

On the other hand coolant needs too be bled to ensure no air in the system. Usually air will return to the exp. tank so needs to be topped up.

So make sure before you take off on trip which it is ... bleeding or leak.

If you need to drive it to get coolant (don't go far) take some water with you and add it if the needle moves quickly to the middle. When you get there check under the car for leaks ... take straight back to dealer. Adjust coolant top up if you added water. I would probably add 1 litre water before you head off and probably not go more than 20/30 kms without getting some (bled) fluid level in the exp. tank and check for leaks.

Post #18881398th Dec 2017 11:04 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Definitely check for leaks. The float on mine failed around the same as the plastic manifold thing on top of the engine split, which was really confusing!

Post #18881408th Dec 2017 11:09 pm
GrenobleLandy

Sounds like good advice thanks Brett. I have been doing a bit of googling and see that the early symptoms of leak/low quantity are very similar...
I didn’t mention it before but I did only drive a couple of km and the temp did go noticeably more quickly than normal to the mid point - didn’t think anything of it Embarassed . Better work out how to get some liquid without using the disco. Clio on summer tyres as long as the snow holds off.
 TDV6 HSE AUTO
Defender 90 CSW 

Post #18881438th Dec 2017 11:12 pm
BrettKaz

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yes was at an Indy the other day and they said something very interesting about the software design of the temp gauge (sorry to add to you paranoia).

Apparently the needle will stay dead in the middle in a range of temps (not sure of values, say 90-110). It apparently was designed by marketing geniuses so people don't get worried when temps spike within the normal range). So watching the needle like a hawk will only help when it goes to the top. Best to hook up a diag. Tool and make sure temp from the sensor doesn't get above 100.

That's why looking at the rate of climb to centre is better than checking if the needle creeps over halfway ... because it doesn't show increments in the normal range (in absence of diagnostic tool).

I have found the above to be true ... not sure of normal range.

Post #18881508th Dec 2017 11:36 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yes , the response profile of the gauge is not linear, ramps up at the start, flattish in the middle and steep up at the end.

Post #18881589th Dec 2017 12:46 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

13 litres if you have rear a/c, but thats at a 50/50 mix so 6.5 litres neat oats.

If you have to top it up this time with plain water it wont kill the car or anything else.

50/50 oats/water mix is good for minus 30 degs c, so a little more water may drop that freeze temp to minus 20 at worst so no real worries in the UK.

Post #18881679th Dec 2017 5:47 am
GrenobleLandy

Thanks everybody - I still depend on this forum after 8years Bow down
Live In French alps so definitely a concern with respect to a straight water top up, although severe temperatures not forecast at the moment. Not in the valleys anyway.
Just when you think you are getting on top of things eh Laughing
The sensor has been broken for a few years and I have just been visually inspecting regularly. Thought I would use the trip to the garage to finally replace it but seem to have just opened a different can of worms (potentially).
Having said that the coolant level has been rock steady all that time so a dodgy or unreplaced clip etc seems most likely for now. Will top it up a bit once I have the right liquid and run it on the drive for a while to see if any leaks out - todays trip cancelled. Garage ‘drop in’ planned for Monday.
 TDV6 HSE AUTO
Defender 90 CSW 

Post #18881699th Dec 2017 6:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >