DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

TDV6 Coolant level, and coolant loss.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I am new to this excellently contributed site; I would like please to tap on all that knowledge to explore issues concerning me. [ I am anything but new to Land Rovers though this is first Disco after 21 year love affair with Defenders]

I have two linked queries about the coolant system. I have tried to see if they have been discussed here before but I can’t find answers.
1. I find the level depends on whether you release the filler cap or not prior to checking. I am aware of the info on page 263 of the OH, and the “Cold Fill Range” marked on the expansion tank. Clearly they intend you to “Fill” up to within that range when the system is cold, but how are you supposed to check the level? I find that my level is ½ to ¾” below that mark when the system has cooled down but the filler cap has not been released and can rise on its release back to just within the range. Some fluid is being retained in the header section of this expansion tank until the vacuum is broken. Is this others experience, and how are we supposed to check the level? Surely we should not need to release the cap each time. I have had to top up on two occasions in my 7000 miles, in all I have put in 1.2litres. [2 x 0.6 litre]
2. I can’t keep the cold level to within the “Fill Range”, though if I release the cap as stated above then I can do so for a while. But even so over time I progressively lose coolant until I “chicken out” and top up, needing 0.6 litres to get back to the lower “Fill” level. My last 110 Defender could never keep its coolant at the right level, it just had to eject some to a level where it ran 50 thousands of miles with out further loss. How do others get on or have I a small coolant leak?

Post #316287th Dec 2005 5:47 pm
BN

England 
Re: TDV6 Coolant level, and coolant loss.

Ocsid wrote:
I am new to this excellently contributed site; I would like please to tap on all that knowledge to explore issues concerning me. [ I am anything but new to Land Rovers though this is first Disco after 21 year love affair with Defenders]

I have two linked queries about the coolant system. I have tried to see if they have been discussed here before but I can’t find answers.
1. I find the level depends on whether you release the filler cap or not prior to checking. I am aware of the info on page 263 of the OH, and the “Cold Fill Range” marked on the expansion tank. Clearly they intend you to “Fill” up to within that range when the system is cold, but how are you supposed to check the level? I find that my level is ½ to ¾” below that mark when the system has cooled down but the filler cap has not been released and can rise on its release back to just within the range. Some fluid is being retained in the header section of this expansion tank until the vacuum is broken. Is this others experience, and how are we supposed to check the level? Surely we should not need to release the cap each time. I have had to top up on two occasions in my 7000 miles, in all I have put in 1.2litres. [2 x 0.6 litre]
2. I can’t keep the cold level to within the “Fill Range”, though if I release the cap as stated above then I can do so for a while. But even so over time I progressively lose coolant until I “chicken out” and top up, needing 0.6 litres to get back to the lower “Fill” level. My last 110 Defender could never keep its coolant at the right level, it just had to eject some to a level where it ran 50 thousands of miles with out further loss. How do others get on or have I a small coolant leak?

Hi and welcome.

Some times coolant will find its own level, providing it does not drop below a certain point it may be OK, like your old LR's. I had a fleet of 110's and it was quite common for them to appear low, but as soon as they warmed up, the level was fine. The 110's always ran very cold even on a hot day when stuck in traffic, which caused concern, but it was just an over efficient fan and then the level went down as well.

Check for a few days without touching the level and it may sort its self out.

Post #316347th Dec 2005 6:12 pm
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Thank you BN for your welcome and your response.
Maybe what I reported is simply a Disco feature. If so its suprising in the light of the extensive development that this was not observed and noted on in the Handbook.

I had hoped to find from this larger audience of technically interested owners if others out there had similar experience. From the lack of other coments , I presume that my observations are not shared by others, so I may have an incipient problem.
I will contiue to monitor mine very closely.
Thanks John

Post #3216010th Dec 2005 8:03 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Unless you have a faulty fluid level sensor (has been a common fault) you should be all right. The sensor is very sensitive and will ping you even if the level is slightly below the required minimum. Also detects the density too so you know if the right amount of antifreeze is in there.

I also find it difficult to read the level and yes it does appear to vary. Am told that as long as the level is above the bottom line on the cold fill level when parked on level ground, its OK.

-s

Post #3216610th Dec 2005 10:28 am
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I had my coolant header tank replaced because it had a leak, its one of the known faults.
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #3216710th Dec 2005 10:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >