Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

TDV6 Ticking sound on idle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Richard SA

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
TDV6 Ticking sound on idle

Any idea ? I have had this ticking problem since it was new and that is 6000k ago. Censored When the engine is hot / normal temp on idle you hear the normal idle sounds yet there is a ticking sound that is at at a much lower rpm then the engine.

This could sound a bit daft Embarassed but I could explain it like this, lets say there is a hard spot in the V belt and when it gets past the tension pulley it makes this metal tick noise. What that means is that due to the length of the belt the engine does 2.5 rpm for each rpm of the belt and then you get the tick.

I and LR initially thought it comes from the belt yet I got a brand new belt and… it is still there. Its been at LR 3 times now and it is still there Censored
 White LR3 TDV6 2007  
Post #17823815th Jul 2007 12:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simonmd

Wales 

Is it the same with the aircon on and off?

Post #17826415th Jul 2007 3:35 pm
Richard SA

aircon on or off no dif
 White LR3 TDV6 2007  
Post #17867716th Jul 2007 5:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simonmd

Wales 

Not the compressor then.

Post #17869116th Jul 2007 5:48 pm
Turtle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi mate,

Same problem worldwide with MY07 models, I have the same, apparently its the injectors as they have remapped the engine for better fuel economy in the MY07and this is the result. I have test driven a few from my local dealer and they all have the same noise as mine. Its beyond what I would call acceptable but then I like getting 8 or 9 litres for every 100k's economy and realising I am going to have to live with it.

I would'nt worry and you are not alone 8)

Post #17925118th Jul 2007 4:15 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine makes a noise because of the aux drive belt as well. Not sure I'd call it a ticking noise though, as it isn't such a 'sudden' noise. But anyway, it happens with every rotation of the belt, and it's a sound like as if the belt is a bit deformed or something when passing through a pully. I can hear it inside, especially when slowing down at say below 30mph when the rpm is below 1500 - when the revs are any higher it disappears behind all the other noise.

Dealer looked at it, and muttered something about lubrication and pullys and then concluded that everything was fine and sent me on my way.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #17929618th Jul 2007 9:58 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Richard, my previous LR was a TD5, so I think I would only notice a funny engine noise if the TDV6 exploded Shocked
We have a friend we used to ride bikes with quite a lot. He always complained about a ticking noise in his TLR (Suzuki 1000cc twin) and we eventually called him "Tick" Doohan Rolling with laughter (you won't get the joke unless you're a biker)

Strange, though, how even the same model vehicles all feel and sound different.
In this past week I have driven my colleague's TDV6SE (06), and my brother-in-law's TDV6HSE (06), and they both felt, sounded & ran differently to my TDV6SE (06)! All have similar mileage (approx 50k)

Actually my brother-in-law drove my vehicle for a few hours (we swopped because I needed 7 seats, and the spare wheel is currently sitting in the boot), and he reckons it goes better than his, and has fewer rattles despite mine having done about 10,000km serious offroading. Go figure...

Post #17931918th Jul 2007 10:57 am
Richard SA

O thankes Baden

lll take MR Tick Tick and yip I was a keen biker for many years part of the Yamie club. This tick kak its not the injector its too slow and no its not the belt since it has been replaced.

If I make it on Friday you can give me your view and all who want can join in to id my cars TICK Rolling with laughter
 White LR3 TDV6 2007  
Post #17952318th Jul 2007 8:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >