DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

No Issues At All (yet)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 
No Issues At All (yet)

I’m 2773 miles in and not had one issue. My car is a 3L td6 HSE. Let’s hope I'm not tempting fate but thought I would share my positive experience.

The gesture tailgate is very handy and I use it a fair bit, I must admit to start I thought it was a silly gimmick. The drop down lower tailgate is practical and protects the top of the bumper same as D4, the upper tailgate provides lots of shelter. When the tailgate is open and you have reversed to a kerb, when stood at the back of the car on the kerb you could crack your head on the corners of the door, the easy fix is lift the car by pressing a button in the back, this takes about 5 seconds. My Springer who had major back surgery when he was a pup will jump into the car, he refused to jump into the D4. I presume this is because the lower part is closer to the car. All in all I am not missing the split tail gate at all and prefer the D5 set up.

Temperature controls are very stable, in my previous Disco's I I found that I was always adjusting the temp to get comfortable.

Sat Nav is great, the search facility and info screen are fast.

The Route Planner app sends routes to the car no issues although the app its self is missing the address search, you can create waypoint and route to the waypoint. The missing address feature could be an issue with my phone and not the app, I’m presuming that I need to download the Here Maps data base to uses the search facility.

The Remote app works a treat and I can set the cabin temp to whatever I want and start the car. You can also review all your previous journeys as shown below, the app will also email your journey as a .csv file.

I don’t have the fold seat option so can’t comment although I now wish I had ticked the box.

Driver and front passenger seats are comfy and offer good support. Rears are not as good as the previous model. Access to the 3rd row is poor compared to the D4. Electric fold seats ARE very handy. There is lots of room when the seats are folded down even with the 2nd row on first stage down the back is flat enough.

Visibility is not an issue in fact I think a little better than my previous D4 that had tinted windows, my current car also has tinted windows.

Economy (I don’t drive economically) the car is averaging 34.9mpg the car is indicating this figure, I have not checked the figures myself.

Drive is great, no wallowing, rather than feeling like the captain of a ship in a D4 the D5 feels like you are driving a sporty car. The car feels nimble and sprightly compared to the D4. The steering wheel is different but not an issue, I have found that I actually enjoy the driving experience very much. It’s quiet, on a good road surface there very little noise.

Wipers are awesome there is NO noise whatsoever when they change direction, three washers that squirt from the back underside of the bonnet mist the window very efficiently, the rear wiper and washer are OK and the rear camera has its own wash facility.

Lights are very good, the auto dip has not yet made me go for the leaver to override it.

Trim in the rear each side is a bit flimsy and I don’t think it will take much to damage it, I can see the aftermarket companies making a sturdier option. This is disappointing when you think how much the car costs and the fact that its supposed to carry loads.

I have towed a 6m trailer with a load of ally sheet total weight of 3.2t, the car didn’t at any point feel unstable. It was very easy to forget that the trailer was there. Clearly the D4 is heaver so will be a better tow car.

4x4/Off Road, I have had the car up on my vehicle hoist and it’s clearly not a D4. There is flimsy stuff that will easily get knocked off. The shape of the doors suggest that damage could occur when it gets tight in deep rutted tracks.
I have driven D3s and 4s in some quite extreme places and I have my doubts that the D5 will survive as well as its predecessors. I have no doubt it will easily cope with the terrain and probably do it better. The issue will be when you go to wash it after, with the D4 you can wash and polish it and no one would know you had been ‘off road’ with the D5 I think it will be a trip to the dealers to replace all the bits that have been knocked off.

I am very busy and I have not had time to have a play off road so my opinion on the above could change when I get the chance.

Would I go back to a D4? Hell no Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #18098871st May 2017 11:24 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

4,558 miles in and not an issue.

Topped up the 'add blue' tank Saturday found it a bit fiddly due to the position of the filler and the fact that you have to pour the fluid in very slow or you get 'blow back'.
Post #182015729th May 2017 11:14 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

How does your springer manage with the extra height of the back of the D5? During the 5 days and 500 miles that we had ours, it was something that my 9 year old collie couldn't safely do without using a ramp, not even with the car's rear in the lowest position (which is about the same as the D4 at its normal height).

The remote control heater / cooler and temperature reporting facility would be a real boon to us dog owners. Really wouldn't mind having that!

Post #182080230th May 2017 8:08 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

I would agree with Andrew. I have had no real issues, only things that the car has been back to dealers for was the CC would not always hold speed but this seems to have been fixed, they also sorted out the tow bar electrics which did not seem to have loaded correctly. This again appears to have fixed the issue although I did tow over the bank holiday weekend and on returning home the reverse sensors did not cut out when selecting revers, first time this has happened.
I am not sure that the visibility is as good as the D4 when looking over your shoulder towards the back for coming out of staggered junctions something I am aware of and watch for.
Some of the trim does feel a little flimsy but tie will tell.

the remote app is great but occasionally it looses contact with the car, his seems to be when the internet signal/wifi is not great.
Overall very please with the car, the performance and the comfort.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #182080530th May 2017 8:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J77

Scotland 

2020 miles on the clock and no issues whatsoever, no return trips to dealers, everythings running well.

Overall quality is good but some areas are questionable on a vehicle in this price range but I could say the same for the D4, less creaks and squeaks in the D5 than the D4. I've got a couple of gripes with it nothing major which I covered in another thread.

I'm smitten with the soft cargo barrier, super easy to install and when not required can be rolled up and stored under the boot floor and only £86 from a main dealer, as far as LR accessories go that's a bargain.

I'm not sure whether she is too comfy or too embarrassed to get out Laughing
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #182082430th May 2017 8:39 pm
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Really good to read this feedback. Thanks for writing it up Thumbs Up
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #18218122nd Jun 2017 2:11 pm
hugeviking

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Andrews, sorry to be a killjoy, but might be a good idea to get that address removed.

Andi. Thumbs Up

Post #18237837th Jun 2017 5:27 pm
DiscoStu

England 

I think he removed the important one...
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #18245089th Jun 2017 10:22 am
hugeviking

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up

Post #18245409th Jun 2017 1:05 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

6000+ miles no issues, car is a dream Thumbs Up
Post #183876019th Jul 2017 10:07 pm
sacimiddx

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

+ 1 at 5000
 Illegitimi Non Carborundum  
Post #183902220th Jul 2017 7:52 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Just coming up to 10,000 miles. All fine, dealer called to say that there was a software up date for the infotainment so popped into get that done. (Not that there was anything wrong with the infotainment)

So this car has been the most reliable Land Rover product I have bought and I have bought lots Thumbs Up
Post #187401631st Oct 2017 8:14 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Good news Andrew. Shame it's not across the board as many seem to have niggly issues. I am seeing plenty of them now, loads around where I live.

Significantly, I have not seen one on the back of a low loader yet. I have seen someone at the local petrol station with the bonnet up, manual in hand, looking very puzzled. He was trying to check the oil!

Post #187402231st Oct 2017 8:25 am
Pelyma

England 

Andrew they will burn you at the stake for such comments Laughing glad you are enjoying it though Thumbs Up
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #187404731st Oct 2017 9:03 am
J77

Scotland 

Wish I could say the same, and since the latest update, the infotainment is now buggy, dash lights don’t come on straight away when the headlights come on. I’ve got creaks and rattles creeping in all over the place. Door seals squeak and creek with body flex.

I’m struggling to see the year out with it, very disappointed. Started out well but now it’s catching up with me. Nice car let down by LRs usual build quality standards.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #187405431st Oct 2017 9:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >